E Bike upgrades

FirstV8

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not power that is the problem - It's the speed limiters.

When riding on a flat section with my Mom her e-bike used to max out at 26.

She is nowhere near strong enough to ride alongside me at a pace above that.

we removed the limiter and now we are able to ride together at all times - limiters at 26 are stupid. 35 would be more than reasonable

I speak for myself, but unlocking the speed limiter is going to start causing a whole lot of problems. 

I love my ebikes and often I do feel the need for it to go faster especially when im trying to clear certain jumps, but in reality the 32km for SA is fast enough for most trail riding. 

If you want to ebike market to grow... and get some acceptence into an already huge Anti-Ebike cycling community. (so many haters out there and on this forum) the last think you want to do is start derestricting them. (Also the risk of banning them from cycling trails)

All it takes is one incident on a de-restricred bike and all ebikers will be shoved into that category.

Just like one Road Cyclist Doper = all road cyclist as dopers.... 

Note - This is for people riding off road , for people riding on the road, chip away ,32km cut off is way to low

Edited by DuncanDoughnuts

1 hour ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

I speak for myself, but unlocking the speed limiter is going to start causing a whole lot of problems. 

I love my ebikes and often I do feel the need for it to go faster especially when im trying to clear certain jumps, but in reality the 32km for SA is fast enough for most trail riding. 

If you want to ebike market to grow... and get some acceptence into an already huge Anti-Ebike cycling community. (so many haters out there and on this forum) the last think you want to do is start derestricting them. (Also the risk of banning them from cycling trails)

All it takes is one incident on a de-restricred bike and all ebikers will be shoved into that category.

Note - This is for people riding off road , for people riding on the road, chip away ,32km cut off is way to low

Well said.

ONE "box" is going to spoil it for the rest ....

2 hours ago, Furbz said:

It's not power that is the problem - It's the speed limiters.

When riding on a flat section with my Mom her e-bike used to max out at 26.

She is nowhere near strong enough to ride alongside me at a pace above that.

we removed the limiter and now we are able to ride together at all times - limiters at 26 are stupid. 35 would be more than reasonable

SA regulations (SANS Codes) follows the European regulations of 25km/h.

A LOT of ebikes brought into SA is programmed as per the American regulations of 20 mph, i.e. 32 km/h.

The latter certainly is a lot nicer on the ROAD.

my non cycling BIL bought a Giant e-bike I told him he is wasting his money, we went for a cruz on the flats he cried like a biatch, up hills I did, so what did the tonsil do, put a bigger gear had the soft limiter REMOVED  and he went back alone and pipped me on strava on the flats,,,,,,,,,,,e-doping is REAL

16 minutes ago, DIPSLICK said:

my non cycling BIL bought a Giant e-bike I told him he is wasting his money, we went for a cruz on the flats he cried like a biatch, up hills I did, so what did the tonsil do, put a bigger gear had the soft limiter REMOVED  and he went back alone and pipped me on strava on the flats,,,,,,,,,,,e-doping is REAL

"non cycling BIL..." Sounds like a "I'm asking for friend " 

20 minutes ago, DIPSLICK said:

VERY easy solution .... on your next ride, miss a few turns on the OUT ride .... his battery wont reach home .....

17 minutes ago, DIPSLICK said:

Nope, he rode it 6 hours and I HAD TO SELL IT for him, 

wait, he rode it for only 6 hours, and in that time modded the thing by chipping it and putting different gearing on ?

1 hour ago, DIPSLICK said:

you can choose your friends, but not your family hey

1 hour ago, ouzo said:

wait, he rode it for only 6 hours, and in that time modded the thing by chipping it and putting different gearing on ?

I'm old enough not to be shocked by what people will do anymore ...

35 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

I'm old enough not to be shocked by what people will do anymore ...

A friend bought a top spec 4x4.  Had it delivered to a 4x4 fitment centre, and spent a significant amount kitting it out as camper.

They went away for ONE weekend ..... typical rainy Cape Town weekend ..... that was it.  Sure the next owner smiled all the way and enjoyed it for what it was intended to be.

8 hours ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

I definitely agree with this, but you also must consider the danger an unrestricted E-bike poses to the rider.

Many people who ride E-bikes are not very experienced riders and the motor cutout helps limit their speed on trails. When you remove that, you will have people bombing down trails at crazy speeds that their skills can't cope with. They will crash and hopefully no analogue bike rider gets harmed, because of some rich old man, who has no skill, on what is essentially a 'pedal assisted' motorbike. Also for jumps us analogue bike riders don't need a motor, so you E-bikers don't (especially at trail speed 😋)

Also I don't care if you derestrict your E bike for the road because I don't ride road and it is not as dangerous as it being derestricted on trails.

*By the way, I don't hate  E-bikes and actually find them quite fun - I also see the benefit they have for people who would not be able  to ride without them.