Lefty 2.0 Advice

Rich Stan

Hi guys,

I have a 2018 Scalpel with a Lefty 2.0 on it.

The bike has been hanging in the garage for a while and when I took it for a ride yesterday it seems like the fork is softer than I would expect. I can compress it to the stop just by bouncing it. It also seems the travel doesn't cover the full length of the stanchion.

Any ideas what's up and where in JHB I can get it serviced?

Pump it up first. If that does not sort it out, then service it.

I have a lefty 1 on my bike, and the bearing reset can be done diy.

26 minutes ago, Rich Stan said:

seems the travel doesn't cover the full length of the stanchion.

softer than I would expect.

1st issue is you need to reset it, you can lower the pressure a bit more and compress it a few times until it bottoms out all the way to the mark.

if the reset isn't easy, go for a service, it's probably needed anyways ;)

then pump it back up to the given PSI for your weight (written at the bottom of the ocho 2.0)

Edited by Jbr

You need to do a bearing reset, 

Deflate the fork completely, cycle it to bottom out 5 or 6 times and pump back up to the correct pressure. 

The needle bearings can end up sliding down while the others stay where they are, this forces them all to the same position.

Bearing reset as mentioned:

deflate completely 

Force the fork down till the bottom of the lowe clamp is about 10mm above your tyre.

then extend the fork completely and forcibly.

force it back down again and repeat the extension. 

the cycle it back and forth a few times(yes we’re still talking about the Lefty here….) to make sure it’s not binding anywhere. If it feels rough then it need some oil into the bearings and lower leg seal which will require a socket wrench and removal of the PBR or Sprintloc / rebound adjuster dial and top cap of the fork.

once bearings are reset inflate the fork by 20pai at a time and cycle it through its travel to charge the negative spring.

lubing the bearings and lower leg wiper seal is pretty easy if you have the socket wrench 

Thanks guys, will give the bearing reset and hopefully that resolves it.

Is there anywhere in JHB that services lefty's or is it still a case of sending down to Ominco?