CAB Foods, 105 bucks for 5kg. Lasts me 2 months. Quality

Will check it out.
Bought 6kg from Woolies the other day. Should be done soon... :lol:

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since it seems like WW is being targeted for having cheaper items than the PnP, barring their fresh produce and prepacked meals which is more expensive, but lasts a lot longer.   i worked in a bread factory in cpt, same production line yes, but different ingredients and when you came in the morning and that place looked like a lab where they where conducting nuclear experiments, then you knew WW was coming to audit - which they did regularly.  non of the others ever came.

2 minutes ago, UnclePolli said:

back to bikes - overprising...heres your answer.

image.jpeg.9146a0194df4f07895dda0f8a67ba445.jpeg

[comic sans]

its because they're an international brand now

[/comic sans]

edited to add

The Wattz bib I bought a few weeks back for R499 suddenly went up to R799 yet still on special

Edited by ouzo

1 hour ago, Duane_Bosch said:

I live in Hout Bay. There are 4 supermarkets here. All of the major 4 are represented. The PNP staff are SO DISGUSTINGLY RUDE that I simply will not go into the store. If I have to go to a PNP I'll go over the hill to Constantia. I don't expect to be treated like royalty but they literally behave as if you are ruining their day by having the temerity to come into the store.

I haven't been in there for probably 5 years now.

PnP recently revamped their store in the Table Bay mall. It was supposedly a complete redo and overhaul of the store look and feel. My wife came home gushing about how nice the store looks, and how enticing the food offerings were. She was starting to annoy me by the end of the evening since that was all she was talking about. I remember her talking about the bakery having these fresh cakes that looked very tasty. She was planning on ordering one for our daughter's birthday. She was even stopped by the management team and asked some pointed questions about her experience, and what she felt they could change. She gave them her responses and was happy that that store finally made a turn for the better.

A few weeks later I asked her how the PnP was doing. Oh, she said, she doesn't go there anymore. Upon further investigation, she confirmed that the staff have reverted to their prior poor behaviour and treat the customers like dirt. She went to the bakery to order one of those cakes, and then she was told that they don't take orders. Those cakes in the counter are only for display purpose but are not for sale. This after she was told on the launch by the baker that these cakes are freshly baked each day and will be available for order. 

This is what happens on these "launches". The store will get the head office test bakers in to come get the store spruced up, but when they leave again, the wheels come off. Typical corporate behaviour. The mentality of the staff is that they get paid regardless of how bad they treat the customers, so why should they try to please the customer.

I do not see PnP surviving this. Checkers is on a mission to compete with Woolies and has recently launched a drive to level up their stores. PnP is not keeping up despite trying. They can make their stores as good looking as they want. As long as the staff is the weak link, the store will fail.

5 minutes ago, UnclePolli said:

back to bikes - overprising...heres your answer.

image.jpeg.9146a0194df4f07895dda0f8a67ba445.jpeg

And then these skelms want to open a new large store in Cape Town? 

Lag my gat af . . .

I will be giving them a pass.

Someone needs to get the checkers 60 60 pickers into line. It seems they're on a mission to complete as many orders as possible, in the shortest time possible, which renders them Colin McCrain drivers down the isle. 

Nothing worse than hearing the constant bling BLING when you're on your weekly sugar mommy check out, errrr, I mean weekly shopping experience

16 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Spar is a mix of corporate and Franchise if I recall correctly, so this could very well be a owner operated store where the experience is lacking. I see it often enough that stores that look all bright and sparkly are in fact struggling to make money. You should preferably want to turn the stock over twice before paying your vendors, and that way you make money. Also, no point in holding 70'000 different lines if you only realistically move the top 15'000 variants per month. The rest becomes dead money that never flips and hits your bottom line hard. Rather clean up your offering by trimming the fat to only holding the top contributors and that way you will turn your stock over more frequently and make more money.

I know of one store owner (not Spar) who was visited by the Brand CEO for the group, who has vast knowledge in service departments in particular, and he said to the store owner at the time if he changes some practices in the butchery, deli, fast food and bakery he would increase his nett profit by about 2 - 3 % month on month. That is alot of money. The owner's response was "my wife drives a nice car, my kid goes to a good school. How much money should I make?"

Hoe sê hulle nou weer? "Hoe bou 'n mens 'n nasie met so iemand" . . .

In my experience, the okes with the bad attitude have already started to slide and are frustrated at the space they find themselves in. The store where the owner / manager is on the floor smiling, and knowing and greeting his customers, makes money.

This particular store manager p'd me off when they first opened many years ago.

we were all excited when they opened, happy to have a store convenient for us. Went in and filled our trolley, grabbing some opening specials along the way.

Get to the till, unpack and scan everything only to be told when it was time to pay that their credit card machines were not yet working.

I understand that there are delays, some things are beyond their control, but why not have some signage up letting shoppers know a) before filling the trolley b) before scanning all items at the till.

The manager/owner was pretty rude when I approached him about it too.

On a number of occasions after that we tried to use them but found the fruit and veg on the shelves going off.

3 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

As long as the staff is the weak link, the store will fail.

Always. I told the manager at the PNP that despite my best efforts none of his staff seem to want my money. He looked at me like I was mad. COMPLETE disconnect between what he does and what he's ACTUALLY there to do.

Liberate as many people of their cash as quickly as possible.

17 hours ago, 117 said:

The apples that will hit the shelves next season will be around 18 months old already - there was an over supply from the cape a short while ago. So instead of tossing them to the juicer they went into long term storage

I will take frozen 18 month apples of a farm in the Cape over what is happening in the EU. The demand for fruit and veg year round has lead to the 'sea of plastic' in Almeira Spain. Illegal immigrants brought across to work in horrid conditions. Groundwater polluted by pesticides and now salt water leaching. Tons of plastic running into the sea.  Just go onto google maps and look at the satellite imagery around Almeira. You will be astonished. So an apple out the freezer grown in the Cape is a welcome thought in my mind

10 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Africa has very different shopping tendencies to SA. SA retailers have learned a few hard lessons in a few places. Sudan has an informal market that is 90 000 square meters.

45 minutes ago, 117 said:

Someone needs to get the checkers 60 60 pickers into line. It seems they're on a mission to complete as many orders as possible, in the shortest time possible, which renders them Colin McCrain drivers down the isle. 

Nothing worse than hearing the constant bling BLING when you're on your weekly sugar mommy check out, errrr, I mean weekly shopping experience

Just use 60Sixty yourself, and avoid the shopping aisles all together.

42 minutes ago, dave303e said:

I will take frozen 18 month apples of a farm in the Cape over what is happening in the EU. The demand for fruit and veg year round has lead to the 'sea of plastic' in Almeira Spain. Illegal immigrants brought across to work in horrid conditions. Groundwater polluted by pesticides and now salt water leaching. Tons of plastic running into the sea.  Just go onto google maps and look at the satellite imagery around Almeira. You will be astonished. So an apple out the freezer grown in the Cape is a welcome thought in my mind

Africa has very different shopping tendencies to SA. SA retailers have learned a few hard lessons in a few places. Sudan has an informal market that is 90 000 square meters.

What makes you think it is any different in the cape? Untreated water in the ceres valley and in and around Robertson is undrinkable. Thousands of litres of pesticide making it's way into the ground water every season.

22 minutes ago, esCape-ist said:

What makes you think it is any different in the cape? Untreated water in the ceres valley and in and around Robertson is undrinkable. Thousands of litres of pesticide making it's way into the ground water every season.

Fair enough there are pesticides poisoning water in both. But the reality is that one is a far cry from the other in a lot of ways... The greenhoused area is nearly double the size of Gauteng.

Something like 33000 tons of plastic waste produced in a year, mostly dumped into the sea.

Workers literally dying in greenhouses due to the poison. 

https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2019/10/16/consumers-are-not-aware-we-are-slaves-inside-the-greenhouses

https://www.foodunfolded.com/article/the-environmental-impacts-of-greenhouse-agriculture-in-almeria-spain

3 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

I live in Hout Bay. There are 4 supermarkets here. All of the major 4 are represented. The PNP staff are SO DISGUSTINGLY RUDE that I simply will not go into the store. If I have to go to a PNP I'll go over the hill to Constantia. I don't expect to be treated like royalty but they literally behave as if you are ruining their day by having the temerity to come into the store.

I haven't been in there for probably 5 years now.

Try again, they've probably been upgraded by now. The experience tends to vary I find - yesterday at N1 city, the cashiers were more intent on spraying and wiping the conveyor belt than taking money. 

34 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Exactly…….

not to mention checkers almost always smells of Jeyes fluid or jic or whatever they use to wash their floors. Nice walking in the fresh produce section when it reeks of a hosed down bar floor the morning after...  

46 minutes ago, 117 said:

You missed the rub 

you need to Up your standards imo...sugar moms at checkers?? no chance. To paraphrase one of those articles earlier about checkers withdrawing from Africa....Checkers is considerd the working class supermarket chain in SA 😅