I built a MTB Carbon hardtail - help me set a price please

pedal menace

Between 18-22k easily. My suggestion: Always be open to negotiation and never take it personally if someone makes you an offer. At least they were willing to make an offer. You do not have to accept it though 😁. It is a decent build and you could even push your luck and go slightly higher but then you may end up scaring people off and making contact with you.

But also: The listing price should not be lower than what it cost you to get to that point :oops:

Edited by RobertWhitehead

2017 frame, basic wheels and components with the exception of the 11spd (not sure RE mileage on this), the tyres look like they are half way through their useful life span ... can't make out the saddle.

I would peg it at 15-18K based on the current pics and information at hand.

Tx all - appreciate the feedback! Agree tyres are past half way but that is at least the cheapest to replace when required. Was also thinking around just R20k+ball park. Saddle is Specialized Phenom I believe (used)

Edited by pedal menace

3 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Weird, saw something now:  - BOOST. Is this a boost frame? I suck when it comes to Boost vs non-boost

Yup BOOST front and rear with thru axle (not skewers)

Edited by pedal menace

1 hour ago, pedal menace said:

Tx all - appreciate the feedback! Agree tyres are past half way but that is at least the cheapest to replace when required. Was also thinking around just R20k+ball park. Saddle is Specialized Phenom I believe (used)

reasonable tyres put you at an extra 1.6K-1.8K over the purchase price for a new set.

Hate to be the proverbial drol in the drinking water, but those figures might be a tad high. In the 20k range you can get a decent-ish dual if you shop around nicely (sure, in ally frame, slightly older, but still...). That, and 2nd hand prices seem to becoming a little more realistic lately 

My carbon HT that I built up sold for 14k a few months back. It had full XT all round plus new rubber on the back and front was about 60%. To me it was a real looker of a bike with the odd custom item here and there, but it didn't do so well being lonely in the garage, hence the price that I sold it for. If you're not in a hurry, you might get your what you're asking for. 

Add a set of spd pedals and it will be easier to sell. Most people looking for this type of HT are relatively above entry riders and will look for an immediately to ride bike that they can just clip (clipless) into with no fuss

Glwts, it sure does look like a sweet ride

Oh, and I'd adjust the level of that saddle a bit... It seems to be pointing a little, um... high

19 hours ago, 117 said:

Hate to be the proverbial drol in the drinking water, but those figures might be a tad high. In the 20k range you can get a decent-ish dual if you shop around nicely (sure, in ally frame, slightly older, but still...). That, and 2nd hand prices seem to becoming a little more realistic lately 

My carbon HT that I built up sold for 14k a few months back. It had full XT all round plus new rubber on the back and front was about 60%. To me it was a real looker of a bike with the odd custom item here and there, but it didn't do so well being lonely in the garage, hence the price that I sold it for. If you're not in a hurry, you might get your what you're asking for. 

Add a set of spd pedals and it will be easier to sell. Most people looking for this type of HT are relatively above entry riders and will look for an immediately to ride bike that they can just clip (clipless) into with no fuss

Glwts, it sure does look like a sweet ride

Oh, and I'd adjust the level of that saddle a bit... It seems to be pointing a little, um... high

Ya, minus at least 5k for b@ll crusher saddle position 🙂 

seems the research is back to front.

have a frame and a pile of parts. spend some cash to put it all together and 

only then look at pricing?

just put an advert up with what it's worth to you to sell.