Apple launches new Apple Watch Ultra

Matt

1 hour ago, Kom said:

@_David_ and @Jbr - totally get that reviewers on google have said otherwise, to be honest to believe that an oura ring has better HR reading capability than anything before it makes me question this dataset.

Im talking your actual experience - reliability on actual riding conditions, both products etc accuracy when the device is moving around on your wrist, long rides etc not in a lab on a spinning bike or whatever these paid youtubers are asked to do.

In all seriousness, I think The Quantified Scientist has some of *the* best data insights. The guy is not a muppet...

Edited by LazyTrailRider

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Kom said:

oura ring has better HR reading capability than anything before it

I havent watched the video, but I'd think a ring normally fits more securely on your finger than a watch on your wrist, therefore its can get more accurate data.

53 minutes ago, ouzo said:

I havent watched the video, but I'd think a ring normally fits more securely on your finger than a watch on your wrist, therefore its can get more accurate data.

There is closer contact to veins along the fingers which promotes accuracy. Obviously, lighter is also an advantage.

10 hours ago, Jbr said:

😜

F700A6F2-80E6-43E9-9789-21B9190E05B6.jpeg
must be cause I used the wrong charger

Enjoy your new Apple Ultra. 

I was stating a common problem with people fast charging things that shouldn't be fast charged. Might help some, but looks like I hit the little soft spot on you heart. Sorry.

You know what they say about sarcasm? Looks like your inference from your last response to me is spot on anyway. 

Bikehub has changed a lot in the last few years... 

6 minutes ago, BrentCGP said:

but looks like I hit the little soft spot on you heart. Sorry.

You know what they say about sarcasm? Looks like your inference from your last response to me is spot on anyway. 

Don't cry, it was just a joke, when you see several smileys on the bottom right of a post it usually means it's nothing to take seriously. (also it's friday)

6 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Don't cry, it was just a joke, when you see several smileys on the bottom right of a post it usually means it's nothing to take seriously. (also it's friday)

😁

23 hours ago, BrentCGP said:

Enjoy your new Apple Ultra. 

I was stating a common problem with people fast charging things that shouldn't be fast charged. Might help some, but looks like I hit the little soft spot on you heart. Sorry.

Fast charging? I’m no expert here, but according to DC Rainmaker, the device itself determines  my how much power to draw when charging. If you use a higher watt charge the device only pulls power for its optimal charge rate. If you use a lower watt charger, the device simply charges slower

I’ve had a Series 4 apple for what is coming up to 4 years now. I bought it mainly as an accessory to my phone, airpods etc. I do use it for activities mainly to score my discovery points. But I have a bike specific computer which i focus more of my stuff on.

Couple of things to note. You can’t really compare this watch to a Garmin as this was more a smart watch whereas the garmin was a fitness specific device.

Battery life lasts me one full day. If I go for a 4-5 hour ride, it would deplete my battery completely. 

Heart rate monitoring on the wrist was much more convenient although accuracy was still an issue for me. Not really accuracy but more performance. Initially it worked flawlessly. But this past year it so, it would basically freeze on a specific heart rate for like 10 min and then restart again which caused huge fluctuations. In fairness I would also get this same issue on a chest strap monitor mainly in winter for some reasons.

The reason I mentioned this is because people like to slag off the watch and compare but the Apple, at least up until now, has been mainly a smart watch first and foremost. In the past year however, they definitely seem to be moving more towards fitness with the release of Fitness+ etc which isn’t even available in South Africa.

The new Ultra watch however seems like the first step to competing directly with a Garmin. I think before people start hating, you need to wait for proper reviews first. For instance the new low power mode is supposed to bring multi day use to the watch which was critical in that space. However, we dont know exactly what low power mode entails. What function can be used etc. The bigger battery however is probably enough for me to consider making the upgrade. Simply because I should be able to get a proper long ride out of it without fear of depleting the battery. 

Cant wait for DC Rainmaker full review.

I'm wondering how well it will work with 3rd party software/hardware like Zwift, Power-meters, AXS derailleurs, IDT's etc... 

26 minutes ago, _David_ said:

Cant wait for DC Rainmaker full review.

I'm wondering how well it will work with 3rd party software/hardware like Zwift, Power-meters, AXS derailleurs, IDT's etc... 

Why would it work with Zwift ? As a companion ? Why not, but I don't mind having my phone close when I zwift (which I don't 🤣)

For Powermeters/AXS/IDT's it's probably not going to be supported by the Apple cycling app, but will require 3rd party apps like the one used here : 

I haven't done any research about ANT+ connectivity. I wouldn't be surprised if it only worked with bluetooth devices, which shouldn't be a problem these days, only ANT+ only device I have is my garmin HR strap

• 2 weeks later...

Thought this was a decent review. His “who is it for” bit at the end is pretty good 

Another good review

Edited by BigDL

has anyone found a good app to run workouts from the watch ? preferably that syncs with intervals.icu but if you have to manually put them on the watch it's ok too

7 minutes ago, edgarblount said:

Wonder if the Discovery Apple watch benefit will cover only the Series 8 or maybe, just maybe the Ultra as well.  

Now you can choose to Apple Watch Series SE GPS Aluminium Case Sport 40mm or Apple Watch Series 8 GPS Aluminium Case Sport 41mm and use it to achieve your weekly Vitality Active Rewards goals.

Ah well...

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

has anyone found a good app to run workouts from the watch ? preferably that syncs with intervals.icu but if you have to manually put them on the watch it's ok too

Add Strava to your Watch, but don’t use it for workouts. Use the native workout app, and it will prompt you to upload on Strava; from Strava you can get it into Intervals.

7C2F3632-5BA7-4588-8D19-6730A56F44A7.jpeg.aee939141a06feffb0fcdfe5e5d5325f.jpeg