Apple launches new Apple Watch Ultra

Matt

5 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

Please please please do tell me where you bought an Edge 530 for R3250. Clearly you get MASSIVE discount so that is not a general statement. 

But yes I do agree - one can compare until the sun decides not to set. Buy what you like - that is the beauty of it. You have a choice. I am just the type of person to make sure what I buy for a price I budgeted for gives me the most value for my money. And that outcome, although I may share, is still only my personal view. 

As a matter of fact I only paid R200 for my Edge 530. Long story short, cashed a birthday 1 x LiteCoin (yes the crypto) in at a peak of R3050 and paid the 200 randellas out of pocket. Got it from Amazon Deutschland on either Black Friday or Cyber Monday, via a link shared by DCRainmaker.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Honestly had similar thoughts, my old Suunto 5 managed to track a full 100 miler with ease, they now retailing for under 5k and it does easily 80% of what the fenix or apple does as a smart watch

This is very true and to most ultra battery life is just convenience of only charging it once a month.
Personally Garmin is the only watch with Adventure racing mode allowed by ARWS so it limits choices quite well. But the Fenix has been flawless so far.

I have to say I wouldn’t buy a Fenix or an ultra at full price as it is beyond my needs, but as I work for the company and get a significant discount, as well as wanting to represent the brand and to want to properly get to know the product, I tend to buy the newest stuff when I can even remotely justify it. Told my wife I could use it for scuba diving and she reminded me that I haven’t done scuba since 2004. Told her I could use it for cycling and she asked why I have an edge 😂 

1 minute ago, edgarblount said:

As a matter of fact I only paid R200 for my Edge 530. Long story short, cashed a birthday 1 x LiteCoin (yes the crypto) in at a peak of R3050 and paid the 200 randellas out of pocket. Got it from Amazon Deutschland on either Black Friday or Cyber Monday, via a link shared by DCRainmaker.

😂 we’ve come a long way since we both  rode our first mtb 100k ride together using our phones to measure distance and doing a few extra to make sure. 

1 minute ago, BigDL said:

😂 we’ve come a long way since we both  rode our first mtb 100k ride together using our phones to measure distance and doing a few extra to make sure. 

Hahaha 😅. I think my a$$ still hurts from that ride. We sommer did a Groenkloof loop just to add some miles.  With an Apple Watch Ultra and a Garmin Edge 530 we will be able to measure distance more accurately. 

2 hours ago, dave303e said:

So essentially it is a great upgrade to an Apple watch to give it a good battery life and make it a lot more practical. But calling it an ultra is a little bit of a stretch when compared to proper ultra watches.

There is definitely a place for it and a lot of advantages though, especially if you are an apple sloot...

People focus too much on names. Ultra just signifies the top of the range product in Apples lineup. 

If you wanna be technical, it could also signify Ultra from an endurance perspective. You would be able to run an ultramarathon with this watch as well as complete an Iron Man event. This is something that wasn’t possible before with the older watches due to the battery. 

They also say a low power model update will arrive in December which will allow you to use it for multi day stage events.

1 hour ago, pedal menace said:

I struggle to follow some logic (and willing to take the punishment if I offend anyone)...

Apple Ultra watch - just normal wear - 2 days 79% used. No training - but nice brilliant clear display (AMOLED quality). Semi OK training apps - does not support many sensors but does the basics. When used with training battery life likely 1 day. R18k

Garmin Epix 2 with AMOLED crystal clear display - after 4 days 42% used with 3 x  1hr+ training sessions with all sensors (power, HR, cadence and speed). Battery with more training easily lasts 7 days. 12-14 days without training. And because I wear it 24x7 I get proper sleep, stress and many other analysis done. R18k

So why oh why would anyone buy an Apple watch? I struggle to understand this logic. But hey..THIS IS JUST MY OPINION

It’s not really that difficult to understand. If you like Apple products, chances are you will buy this product as well. The integration with other apple devices is seamless. Also, Apple watches are smart watches first, sports watches second. Meaning that you can get away with it for everyday use. I personally would not wear a garmin watch daily. But that’s just me.

1 hour ago, Bub Marley said:

It’s not really that difficult to understand. If you like Apple products, chances are you will buy this product as well. The integration with other apple devices is seamless. Also, Apple watches are smart watches first, sports watches second. Meaning that you can get away with it for everyday use. I personally would not wear a garmin watch daily. But that’s just me.

I too am an Apple fan with iPhone, iPad etc. But I personally see no practicality in the Apple Watch. True to what you said - it is a smart watch first - fitness watch second. BUT - isn't that what the Ultra is attempting to address? In my opinion - it still falls WAY short. 

To your other point - as not to wanting to wear Garmin every day? Absolutely your personal choice but I am curious as to your reasons. Can't be looks - sheesh their watches are looking modern now - compared to say 5+ years ago. Can't be functionality - I feel it can do 99% of what the Apple watch can do - but then with that a 1000 more things (sure many of which most people will never use). Can't be screen as the Garmin AMOLED is very close to that of other smart watches (i.e. Samsung/Apple)

Edited by pedal menace

17 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

I too am an Apple fan with iPhone, iPad etc. But I personally see no practicality in the Apple Watch. True to what you said - it is a smart watch first - fitness watch second. BUT - isn't that what the Ultra is attempting to address? In my opinion - it still falls WAY short. 

To your other point - as not to wanting to wear Garmin every day? Absolutely your personal choice but I am curious as to your reasons. Can't be looks - sheesh their watches are looking modern now - compared to say 5+ years ago. Can't be functionality - I feel it can do 99% of what the Apple watch can do - but then with that a 1000 more things (sure many of which most people will never use). Can't be screen as the Garmin AMOLED is very close to that of other smart watches (i.e. Samsung/Apple)

Edited by NeverNotRolling

6 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

I wear my Fenix daily, but my guess as to why people wouldn't - the sheer size of it. 

I sold my Apple 7 series watch recently just because I felt it was too dainty and fragile, but I have to say one  thing (one of the few things IMO it does better than the Garmin) was form factor. It was damn comfy, I hardly knew I had it on when riding, gyming, daily lifing. The Fenix is huge, I am always aware of it, I don't ride with it because it is bloody painful on my hands to ride with (I ride with a bar mounted gps unit). I do use it for gym though, and although the HR is more accurate and actual workout functionality is much better, it is uncomfortable to wear. I don't run, so can't comment on that....

Still prefer the Fenix  for a number of reasons, one being the once monthly charge as opposed to the daily charge, but when it comes to smart watch capability - eg: answering my phone, controlling music from my watch, etc the Apple watch was amazing. The Apple watch has it's place - if you are after a smart watch first, then an exercise watch the Apple watch wins hands down, if you are after an exercise watch first the Garmin will win - it's not exactly comparing apples with apples. 

I like the idea of the Apple Watch Ultra, not enough to trade my Feinx for one, but maybe by the 3rd of 4th iteration it may well be good enough to become my daily.... 

6 minutes ago, Grease_Monkey said:

I wear my Fenix daily, but my guess as to why people wouldn't - the sheer size of it. 

I sold my Apple 7 series watch recently just because I felt it was too dainty and fragile, but I have to say one  thing (one of the few things IMO it does better than the Garmin) was form factor. It was damn comfy, I hardly knew I had it on when riding, gyming, daily lifing. The Fenix is huge, I am always aware of it, I don't ride with it because it is bloody painful on my hands to ride with (I ride with a bar mounted gps unit). I do use it for gym though, and although the HR is more accurate and actual workout functionality is much better, it is uncomfortable to wear. I don't run, so can't comment on that....

Still prefer the Fenix  for a number of reasons, one being the once monthly charge as opposed to the daily charge, but when it comes to smart watch capability - eg: answering my phone, controlling music from my watch, etc the Apple watch was amazing. The Apple watch has it's place - if you are after a smart watch first, then an exercise watch the Apple watch wins hands down, if you are after an exercise watch first the Garmin will win - it's not exactly comparing apples with apples. 

I like the idea of the Apple Watch Ultra, not enough to trade my Feinx for one, but maybe by the 3rd of 4th iteration it may well be good enough to become my daily.... 

Agree - however Garmin too has small form factors, i.e. Venu 2s - wife uses it and does everything she needs from it. And it too has an AMOLED screen and battery last easily a week+.

But - alas - let's agree to disagree and agree that everyone agrees (😁) that every watch will have its uses and people do have a loyal relationship with a brand. Whether it is better or not - most people do not care. They have a few uses for it and if it fits - they will buy it. Even if functionality vs price makes no sense. Brand loyalty trumps practicality more often than not. 

38 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

Agree - however Garmin too has small form factors, i.e. Venu 2s - wife uses it and does everything she needs from it. And it too has an AMOLED screen and battery last easily a week+.

But - alas - let's agree to disagree and agree that everyone agrees (😁) that every watch will have its uses and people do have a loyal relationship with a brand. Whether it is better or not - most people do not care. They have a few uses for it and if it fits - they will buy it. Even if functionality vs price makes no sense. Brand loyalty trumps practicality more often than not. 

Absolutely- apple, as the number one watch seller in the world (not just smart watches), has a lot of folks who are loyal to the brand. 

then again .... by apple's own stats the brand loyalty of their phones are dwindling and they struggle to maintain previous sales volumes.  At least, according to financial news ....

A big part of the brand loyalty rests with the integration of the larger eco-system.

Is it just a blip in the stats - their phone sales ?  OR, are the very many new entrants to the market actually starting to erode their market share ?  

Will it impact their watch sales ?

Doubt it would have much of an impact on their top range market.

Okay so Ive just had a look now at Garmins website and nothing has changed for me. They still look primarily like a sports/exercise watch. The ultra even though looks more rugged than the older models, still looks way less sporty than any garmin watch.

As for practicality, I will admit I am an Apple sheep so call me biased but the integration with my watch, phone, airpods etc is not something garmin can replicate. I can use my watch to navigate content on my Apple TV. I can use the watch to take a family photo when my phone is on a tripod. 

My final thoughts here. I wouldn’t buy the Ultra for 18k. I think that’s ridiculous tbh. I mainly do cycling and i have a dedicated cycling computer that does everything i need it to do. I just use the watch to get vitality points. So this watch is not really for me. But if you do different sports and you like an Apple Watch then this is an option. Is it as good as a Garmin? Not a chance in hell. So it depends on how much you value those additional features over aesthetics. You obviously disagree but I think if you pick 100 people and show them the 2 watches, the overwhelming majority would pick the Ultra on looks. People don’t want to chop and change watches and I still dont feel the garmin looks like an every day watch. 

22 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

then again .... by apple's own stats the brand loyalty of their phones are dwindling and they struggle to maintain previous sales volumes.  At least, according to financial news ....

A big part of the brand loyalty rests with the integration of the larger eco-system.

Is it just a blip in the stats - their phone sales ?  OR, are the very many new entrants to the market actually starting to erode their market share ?  

Will it impact their watch sales ?

Doubt it would have much of an impact on their top range market.

Their brand loyalty is definitely not dwindling. I just think the phones are that good now that any changes to the phones are very iterative that people are not upgrading as often as they normally do. My last iPhone was an XR and i got 3 years out of it and could probably have gotten another year. 

The iPhone design normally go on a 3year cycle. So unless we’re in a year where there is a complete design change, people wont bother changing. Next year would be a new design for the iPhone and im pretty certain the demand will increase again as everyone will want that new design.

So after having another glance at the Garmin website, and just looking through the specs. I just picked the Garmin Instinct 2 which is R 7,000 and I have to say the amount of features listed is pretty astonishing compared to what Apple gives you. I can 100% say that value for money, the Garmin wins hands down no question about it. I might even consider getting that instead of a new Apple Watch when the time is right just based on what you get. Looks wise, I still dont think it looks that great but you can’t deny you’re getting so much more bang for buck.

15 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

So after having another glance at the Garmin website, and just looking through the specs. I just picked the Garmin Instinct 2 which is R 7,000 and I have to say the amount of features listed is pretty astonishing compared to what Apple gives you. I can 100% say that value for money, the Garmin wins hands down no question about it. I might even consider getting that instead of a new Apple Watch when the time is right just based on what you get. Looks wise, I still dont think it looks that great but you can’t deny you’re getting so much more bang for buck.

Would appreciate your feedback on the looks and specs of the Garmin VivoActive 4 ..... Garmin's version of more smart, less sport, as per DC Rainmaker.