The ultimate hubber - Monday feel good story

Wayne pudding Mol

My experience with a fellow hubber deserves to be highlighted given the amount of stories of rogue traders and scammers recently.

A guy posted some pictures and requested a valuation of his Colnago C40 recently.  There were some responses and I sent him a DM wherein I told him what I thought the bike was worth and offered him a bit less but a fair deal which he accepted.

Over the last year I have sold off my bikes, shrunk my bike room and the last one to go of the vintage bikes was my C40 - I regretted that decision so when this one popped up I grabbed it despite not really riding on the road apart from the 2 pre CTCT rides and then the actual lap around the peninsula.

Anyway this hubber went out of his way to pack up the bike despite no rush.  I probably unwisely paid by EFT.  Said hubber let me know I could collect and I sent The Courier Guy to collect and deliver to my LBS.   Having started a new business I'm keeping things lean and didn't want the bike delivered home.  I can't be directing the family to be financially responsible and then be buying vintage bikes now can I ?

I'm working away during the week and my LBS called to say the bike was spectacular but the 9 speed Campy groupset wasn't working properly.  I was a bit miffed because I thought I'd bought ten speed and a working bike.  I do know that it was on a wall and too big for the seller so I sent him a whatsapp politely expressing my dismay.

What has followed during the week is a reminder to us all that there are good people out there who place reputation and doing the right thing above money.  In fact @Barry was insanely generous in his offer to ensure my new bike was what I wanted.  I say insane because when I realised what kind of guy I was dealing with I said don't worry we'll hunt the parts and sort it out no rush.  Nope Barry wanted things right and as we couldn't find a record 10 groupset instantly he went and bought and packed up a gorgeous complete bike with the Campy record I wanted.  Bike is being collected and I'll end up with 2 bikes and Barry has lost money on this deal so far.

I'm obviously not going to keep the other bike and will swap the parts, get the new one perfect, sell it and get Barry as much back as I can.

But @Barry you are a gentleman and have incredible ethics.  You are slightly mad as this was beyond what needed to be done but much appreciated. 

I will post pics of the bike/bikes when done

52 minutes ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

My experience with a fellow hubber deserves to be highlighted given the amount of stories of rogue traders and scammers recently.

A guy posted some pictures and requested a valuation of his Colnago C40 recently.  There were some responses and I sent him a DM wherein I told him what I thought the bike was worth and offered him a bit less but a fair deal which he accepted.

Over the last year I have sold off my bikes, shrunk my bike room and the last one to go of the vintage bikes was my C40 - I regretted that decision so when this one popped up I grabbed it despite not really riding on the road apart from the 2 pre CTCT rides and then the actual lap around the peninsula.

Anyway this hubber went out of his way to pack up the bike despite no rush.  I probably unwisely paid by EFT.  Said hubber let me know I could collect and I sent The Courier Guy to collect and deliver to my LBS.   Having started a new business I'm keeping things lean and didn't want the bike delivered home.  I can't be directing the family to be financially responsible and then be buying vintage bikes now can I ?

I'm working away during the week and my LBS called to say the bike was spectacular but the 9 speed Campy groupset wasn't working properly.  I was a bit miffed because I thought I'd bought ten speed and a working bike.  I do know that it was on a wall and too big for the seller so I sent him a whatsapp politely expressing my dismay.

What has followed during the week is a reminder to us all that there are good people out there who place reputation and doing the right thing above money.  In fact @Barry was insanely generous in his offer to ensure my new bike was what I wanted.  I say insane because when I realised what kind of guy I was dealing with I said don't worry we'll hunt the parts and sort it out no rush.  Nope Barry wanted things right and as we couldn't find a record 10 groupset instantly he went and bought and packed up a gorgeous complete bike with the Campy record I wanted.  Bike is being collected and I'll end up with 2 bikes and Barry has lost money on this deal so far.

I'm obviously not going to keep the other bike and will swap the parts, get the new one perfect, sell it and get Barry as much back as I can.

But @Barry you are a gentleman and have incredible ethics.  You are slightly mad as this was beyond what needed to be done but much appreciated. 

@Wayne pudding Mol To be fair, you probably would have done something similar if the roles were reversed, so I guess this is natures way of showing you what a pleasure it is to deal with you and people like you.

On 9/12/2022 at 7:08 AM, Wayne pudding Mol said:

There are good people left out there. 

On 9/12/2022 at 8:04 AM, Jewbacca said:

@Wayne pudding Mol To be fair, you probably would have done something similar if the roles were reversed, so I guess this is natures way of showing you what a pleasure it is to deal with you and people like you.

😊

On 9/12/2022 at 8:04 AM, Jewbacca said:

Ditto, I'm still riding a bright purple Pyga that some crazy dude who likes pudding shipped to me without payment and then let me pay it off as I sold my old bike off... Karma!

Wayne, you deserve to be on the receiving end too, enjoy the C40!

Have to be honest, my first reaction reading your post was…. I thought you were a stand up honest Christian… the bold bit above had me wondering tho 

Good luck with the new buys and keep it straight n simple 😉 😉