2022 UCI Road World Championships - Wollongong

Vetplant

8 minutes ago, babse said:

Its same year in and year out... Sending riders to gain experience/learn. What a joke.

I do hope that when okes like Willie retires, puts effort into joining CSA and try to make things better. 

Correct, We need passionate cyclists and sportsman in those administrative roles. My buddy is supposed to go to World Track Champs next month, He has had to contact CSA himself, Instead of them contacting him. He needs to go to Words to get points to qualify to take part in the Paralympics, He has sent CSA 5 E-Mails to their 1 E-Mail and in their response, they still never answered the questions he needs answers to. It really is a sad state of affairs, really is.

** Rant Over and apologies as this is clearly off topic.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Correct, We need passionate cyclists and sportsman in those administrative roles. My buddy is supposed to go to World Track Champs next month, He has had to contact CSA himself, Instead of them contacting him. He needs to go to Words to get points to qualify to take part in the Paralympics, He has sent CSA 5 E-Mails to their 1 E-Mail and in their response, they still never answered the questions he needs answers to. It really is a sad state of affairs, really is.

Well everyone is always building but they never can you what they are building . When you’re the spectator watching the building your realise most are building outhouses for their ego.

3 hours ago, FootballingCyclist said:

The Schools Cycling SA group in the Western Cape has seriously gone backwards this year ! 😵💫

2019 this was run by one lady, Michelle.  She did a GOOD job.  Events ran smoothly.  

2020 SCSA ran the arrangements ... then the world stopped spinning ....

2021 was a hit and miss mess, still due to covid.

2022 .... dates and venue announcements dragged on and on ....

Schools STRUGGLE to get any feedback from SCSA .... Standard reply seems to be: "We will pass on the information when we get it from the organiser"

Somehow we never had these issues when Michelle ran the show.

And for this mess the "school affiliation fees" went up more than x3 for the long list of smaller schools.

Nope, NOT a CSA fan 🤬

6 hours ago, Vetplant said:

Something else happened, but not too sure exactly what it was. Tyre was still intact when she lost control. I've watched it in slowmo multiple times and it seems the chain malfunctions, which throws her weight forward(bad idea), which then makes her lose control.

image.png.b706b55a86d9c914e09da1a445063024.png

Check the video in the Twitter post, drag the video to see the situation frame-by-frame:

Well well well, as I also thought when I saw the chain in the small ring...

https://cyclingtips.com/2022/09/what-caused-annemiek-van-vleutens-crash/

6 hours ago, Vetplant said:

Something else happened, but not too sure exactly what it was. Tyre was still intact when she lost control. I've watched it in slowmo multiple times and it seems the chain malfunctions, which throws her weight forward(bad idea), which then makes her lose control.

image.png.b706b55a86d9c914e09da1a445063024.png

Check the video in the Twitter post, drag the video to see the situation frame-by-frame:

4 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Well well well, as I also thought when I saw the chain in the small ring...

https://cyclingtips.com/2022/09/what-caused-annemiek-van-vleutens-crash/

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. They must have read my post, seen the logic in it, and then decided to do a whole bloody article around my findings without giving me any credit, ;).

But like they say, why the hell would the chain do that? Very odd.

8 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. They must have read my post, seen the logic in it, and then decided to do a whole bloody article around my findings without giving me any credit, ;).

But like they say, why the hell would the chain do that? Very odd.

What are the chances of radio interference causing a faulty shift ?

1 minute ago, ChrisF said:

What are the chances of radio interference causing a faulty shift ?

Quote from SRAM:

https://support.sram.com/hc/en-us/articles/6086381999387-What-about-radio-interference-Could-a-rival-team-hijack-my-signal-and-create-a-mechanical-for-me-Can-my-signal-be-jammed-

SRAM RED eTap uses a proprietary wireless communication protocol that SRAM created called Airea. It was created and tested by computer scientists, cryptographers and even hackers to be extremely reliable and secure. It uses several layers of state-of-the-art encryption and obfuscation as well as very powerful spread-spectrum radios to eliminate the possibility of hacking the system and make interference or malicious jamming extremely difficult.

So You're Saying There's A Chance GIFs

Look at the footage carefully. At 10sec go through those 4 frames carefully. One can see sealent spraying of the left side of the tyre. The tyre doesn't appear to be deflated just yet as it wuld stil have a few bar of pressure in it.

I accuse the tyre blowing off the rim and hence the rim is shattered by the impact with the curb. She called it right the first time

slim to nothing. Never had an issue with my FASST radio system ever. Only way to defeat the system is overwhelm the signal ith a much more powerful one that would also likley interfere with the TV transmitters

But the accident has nothing to do with the rear derailleur. Her cadence doesn't change so she didn't upshift to the smaller ring. She was still pedalling.

I'd blame a magpie dive bombing the tyre. Those Feckers are FASST Bruce 

I was asked in Feb to join the Australian Team Staff for the Mixed TTT project and help out with the iTT for the event alongside the gentleman handling that. 

As reference, the process, training, rider selection, data analysis, rider profile and meetings process over 6 odd months to get to the race day was really impressive. This is only for a Mixed TTT event. Yes, there were some limitations due to the even being the other side of the world but the protocols is how things should be within a federation, this is not about money as no money had been spent until the point of final team selection. 

Yes sure money does then get into the picture as my flights, accommodation, day rate and prize money is paid for and being paid over from the results obtained but that is an add on from the pathway to there. 

Being at the event and watching how this team of staff operate, was no different to being in UAE Team Emirates at any race. This also costs nothing to add structure and approach qualified and capable staff to execute their specific duties well. The costs then come after possibly as knowledge and skill does cost money. I understand this. 

it can be done from CSA and there are staff around the world to fill these roles well but it will need to come from CSA and get them out their old way of doing things that I am sorry to say don't work. History has proven this. I am a South African in a Australian National team, when I asked why it was told simply I was the best person they felt for the job. Simple. So staff need to be qualified, not always a Nationality.

To send an athlete just because is not right, Australia did not have a U23 male rider who could finish top 10 in the TT. They did not send them, they took some backlash as its the home country and there would be no major expense but they weren't there to just send someone who will fill a spot. I completely understood that. this is also how it should be done.

When I saw the South Africans at the event, it does hit home, well for me it does and I did go over and say Hi whenever I could or add my small 2c in. It was great but to improve you have to be open to possible criticism and be open to and accept things are correct and make the changes. 

Until that happens, nothing changes. 

Sorry this landed up a long 2c. 

22 hours ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Wonder when his court case against CSA starts and if he will also throw this medal in the bin/ ask the council workers to go dump it in the big Kimberley Hole(his words in an Insta rant because the medal had "SA road and para cycling champs" engraved on it) after trying to burn it 1st??

Maybe he will win his appeal after the champs are finished 🙂

Doesn't deserve to be at worlds with his attitude. Just my humble opinion.

21 hours ago, FootballingCyclist said:

100%. 

As of late (Past few months) he has been having a dig at CSA and how incompetent they are ( I think most agree anyway) and the selection panel and process used to select the team for World Champs. 

In all honesty, After that video he posted after SA champs where he tried so hard to burn the medal but obviously never got it right, So chucked it in the bin (black bag) because of it's "poor quality" and because it had "SA Road and Para-cycling champs" on it, I'm not sure why he thinks CSA would select him fopr Worlds anyway. As far as I'm aware having been a sportsman my whole life and being snubbed of national team caps myself for reasons out of my control, At no stage is any sports board OBLIGED to select athletes. And you do yourself even more harm than good when you throw your toys like a little kid all over asocial media, then still expect those same people you just gaslit, to select you to represent them!! The oke has MAJOR issues.

Totally agree. As a pro athlete he should set an example to the youngsters etc. And there is a decent way to handle situations. I think he was just pissed that a better rider klapped him on the day. With his actions as CSA I would never select him again. Never mind the question as to does he deserve to be there or not. It's more than just form. And anyhow, I think all the riders from SA at Worlds have more UCI points than him.

Lost all respect for him the day he posted that Youtube video and stopped following him.