Poor Poor form Meerendal Wine Estate

Richard84

My route includes Meerendal 2 or 3 times a year.

But the coffee stops are done elsewhere.

This pic was taken at Meerendal this afternoon

Screenshot_20221007-191334_WhatsApp.jpg.5fb1248a46d23e748292732775b67871.jpg

Yes, it is a beginner friendly track.  For a technical challenge ... rather listen to Robbie's recommendations.

But Patrick has done a good job of repairing the trails 👍

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I'm sure the trail itself is in good condition, but overall it's a very boring trail. It is good for beginners and that is it. I started my MTB riding there but I've not been back since maybe 2018. 

There are MUCH better trails in Cape Town. The elitist crap from that farm is blown entirely out of proportion. Their trails are not so good to justify their attitudes. I agree with the general opinion that they might as well shove it and depart from being a MTB destination. They're truly not that special.

Snap ....

We were both using the term "beginners trail" at the same time.

That certainly is not a bad thing in itself.

There is a place for all types of trails.

35 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Snap ....

We were both using the term "beginners trail" at the same time.

That certainly is not a bad thing in itself.

There is a place for all types of trails.

Sure, there's a place for all types of riders, but I'm over the BS from the trails and lately, the club.

Patrick today spamming my inbox with his vitriol about having to tend to the Hoogies Hammer point in case and how he's dishing out permission for members to hand out PK's . . .

All that little man is getting right is to trigger me into wanting to dish some out myself the next time I cross paths with him, but I digress.

I really am over the club and their partners *** attitudes. It's time to do what her gets paid to do and with his whining. Were all gatvol of it.

10 hours ago, Richard84 said:

no was doing Stellenbosch from Tuesday so was going to do Tygerberg for a few days...haha cool thanks for the advice

You better off exploring those trails and saving fuel driving to Tygerberg in any case. Add Gspot, eden and Mont Maree in the mix You not missing much at tygerberg to me it is only hoogekraal and contermans.

17 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

Oh and I think this time of the year the thorns start popping up on tygerber.

No thorns at the moment.... not yet

Those yellow mostert.seed flowers are head height ... and hard up to the trails ...

Actually very beautiful

@Richard84 each year a number of regular riders ask for more technical trails at Tygerberg ....

and yet the trails remain BUSY .... The membership grows faster than those moving on to the more techy Stellenbosch trails.

NOTHING wrong with Tygerberg trails.  It is not aimed at the serious techy stuff .... which begs the question as to why so many are taken from the trails in an ambulance .... 

So the real question .... what is YOUR level of riding and YOUR expectations from the trails ?

Either way, hope you have a blast in the Cape

16 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Please tell me you were not planning on staying at Meh-rendal only to ride the Stellenbosch trails. There's no comparison.

In Stellenbosch you've got 

Jonkershoek 

Banhoek 

Plasier se Merlé 

Hellsend 

Boschendal 

And on and on and on 

At Meerendal you've got perhaps The Kakkest trail in South Africa.

You spelled Morondull wrong...

looks like the days are gone when you could have your bike fixed at Knipe Racing inside Merendaal and hop on the trails right after a bike fit at Irmfit. Looks like the "normal people" bring in more money . Cyclists are not welcome anymore just tolerated on the trails.....
The owner is Herman Coertze ,look him up on FB etc. 

3 hours ago, Brakepad said:

looks like the days are gone when you could have your bike fixed at Knipe Racing inside Merendaal and hop on the trails right after a bike fit at Irmfit. Looks like the "normal people" bring in more money . Cyclists are not welcome anymore just tolerated on the trails.....
The owner is Herman Coertze ,look him up on FB etc. 

Jip.  Pick up an issue on the bike during the ride, drop it off at Knipe_Racing.  Pick it up next week and carry on riding .... that was VERY NICE !!!  .... but that was back in 2017 and 2018 ..... (edit-dates added)

Then Knipe_Racing got booted out, and that area got repurposed for wine tasting .... wine tasting on a wine farm ..... how dare they .... :P

Irma was there after the bikers had to park outside .... I had a to plead with the security to get my bikes inside for a bike fit .... DUH !!!!

EASY ,,,,, those enjoying more basic trails, come and ENJOY Meerendal, then drive off and spend your money where cyclists ARE welcomed.  That is business 101 ....

Edited by ChrisF

@tygerbergmtb

Are you even going to respond to this? Why should this trail be supported by the club if this is how they go about business? Why should part of our yearly fees go towards funding this farm and their rubbish attitude towards cyclists? Why should your member base put up with it? It's time to reconsider your loyalty. Is it towards the landowners, or your members you're so quick to want to hand out PK's to?

Edited by Robbie Stewart
Spelling

21 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

@tygerbergmtb

Are you even going to respond to this? Why should this trail be supported by the club if this is how they go about business? Why should part of our yearly fees go towards funding this farm and their rubbish attitude towards cyclists? Why should your member base put up with it? It's time to reconsider your loyalty. Is it towards the landowners, or your members you're so quick to want to hand out PK's to?

With the response, please include  who benefits by Meerendal hosting the Epic Stage ?
Phrased another way:
And who has benefited by Tygerberg fixing the Meerendal Trails, they get to host an Epic stage at our expense  ?

Edited by IronTree
More sarcasm...

Some have some further questions:
How are the Epic riders going to be allowed access ?
Or are there a separate set of rules as they are NOT Tygerberg MTB Members with better privileges ?

Edited by IronTree
Grammar

"you have my full permission to deliver them a moerse PK", as taken from the newsletter.
So when two people be it a land-owner and cyclist, security etc get into fisticuffs on the trails, the standard response is going to be, "Pat said we could hand out PK's".:ph34r::oops:

@tygerbergmtb just some food for thought.

Edited by Mtree
tagged tbmtbc