Munga MTB TwentyTwentyTwo

Shebeen

12 minutes ago, gemmerbal said:

The point @SSCC is trying to make (I think) and thus the point I am agreeing with is that ±90% of the entrants are paying for the Munga experience, which is unique in its own way, just like the Epic/RAM/TD/SRM is unique in its own way at whatever their respective price points are. The topic of race entry fees has been exhausted on the other thread and it is unfortunate that this thread seems to be going in a similar direction in stead of discussing who's taking part, why are they taking part, what's their training been like, what are their target times, strategies, how much are they k@kking themselves in nervous anticipation etc etc etc.

The fact that theres no international superstars in the field, well thats for the Munga organisers to solve. The remaining ±90% of which I am 1, dont care either way. There's ±1100km between me and success and that's all I care about.

I can also point out that because I approached the organisers with my fundraising campaign with the SPCA, they offered me 25% discount on my entry fee which I am paying out of my own pocket. Even so, I saved up for 2 yrs to do this event. For me the Munga is the closest I will ever get to doing something like the Dakar which has been a lifelong ambition. You dont hear okes doing the Malle Moto complaining about the entry fees, they do it for the stories they can tell their buddies around a camp fire and for that prized medal at the end which they had to earn through blood, sweat and tears.

Sure, on paper Munga might not be the "Toughest Race on Earth", but its going to be the toughest thing I've ever taken on. And I can live with that every day of the week and thrice on Sundays.

Malle moto entry fees are a small cost compared to the rest...

Your bike will cost 2-4 times the entry. The training on it will costs another 100k. 14 sets of tyres, mousses and a few spare wheels will put you back an easy 50k-100k. Let alone the tyres you will burn through training.

You also get a lot for that entry. All food, a tent, all your fuel, transport of spares and box. Tyre changes, engine oil analysis, daily bike wash, medical cover. They ship your bike to and from EU. They do all the temp import permits and admin stuff. In terms of support- 7 planes- 11 helicopters, 110 organisers backup vehicles and over 70 doctors. It is at a different scale. That is a doc for every 5 racers.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Your bike will cost 2-4 times the entry. The training on it will costs another 100k. 14 sets of tyres, mousses and a few spare wheels will put you back an easy 50k-100k. Let alone the tyres you will burn through training.

You also get a lot for that entry. All food, a tent, all your fuel, transport of spares and box. Tyre changes, engine oil analysis, daily bike wash, medical cover. They ship your bike to and from EU. They do all the temp import permits and admin stuff. In terms of support- 7 planes- 11 helicopters, 110 organisers backup vehicles and over 70 doctors. It is at a different scale. That is a doc for every 5 racers.

Thanks @dave303e and I mean that sincerely, sounds like you know your stuff. 

Like I said, Munga is my Dakar, maybe in 7yrs time when I turn 50 I might be able to do the Real one. :)

1 hour ago, gemmerbal said:

The point @SSCC is trying to make (I think) and thus the point I am agreeing with is that ±90% of the entrants are paying for the Munga experience, which is unique in its own way, just like the Epic/RAM/TD/SRM is unique in its own way at whatever their respective price points are. The topic of race entry fees has been exhausted on the other thread and it is unfortunate that this thread seems to be going in a similar direction in stead of discussing who's taking part, why are they taking part, what's their training been like, what are their target times, strategies, how much are they k@kking themselves in nervous anticipation etc etc etc.

The fact that theres no international superstars in the field, well thats for the Munga organisers to solve. The remaining ±90% of which I am 1, dont care either way. There's ±1100km between me and success and that's all I care about.

I can also point out that because I approached the organisers with my fundraising campaign with the SPCA, they offered me 25% discount on my entry fee which I am paying out of my own pocket. Even so, I saved up for 2 yrs to do this event. For me the Munga is the closest I will ever get to doing something like the Dakar which has been a lifelong ambition. You dont hear okes doing the Malle Moto complaining about the entry fees, they do it for the stories they can tell their buddies around a camp fire and for that prized medal at the end which they had to earn through blood, sweat and tears.

Sure, on paper Munga might not be the "Toughest Race on Earth", but its going to be the toughest thing I've ever taken on. And I can live with that every day of the week and thrice on Sundays.

I think this is exactly the point.  You do this sort of race because you can. You challenge yourself. you race yourself. Entry fees/prize money are not really part of that equation. Yes it's expensive, but so is a holiday in Europe. Or going to run the Ultra Trail Mont Blanc as an amateur. Most of us reading this an commenting are (I presume...) amateur athletes, so podiums are not really in the equation.  So whether it's the skiing holiday in Switzerland or the Karoo... Just depends what floats your boat... or bike!

1 hour ago, dave303e said:

I think the point is still that most amateurs do this because the can.  Not for podiums or prize money. If you want to do it and can afford it.. Ride away!

46 minutes ago, gemmerbal said:

Thanks @dave303e and I mean that sincerely, sounds like you know your stuff. 

Like I said, Munga is my Dakar, maybe in 7yrs time when I turn 50 I might be able to do the Real one. :)

Jou knieë gaan nie die Dakar maak op 50 nie.. haahahahaha 😛 

3 hours ago, Shebeen said:

I am very keen to see your reasoning behind saying that a "free" race can cost you more than the Munga. Feel free to back that up with your own or other's real life experience.

Tour Divide is just one example. Free entry but the average rider will spend R35k just for food, drink and the some nights in cheap hotels on the route. Rest of the nights are in your tent or bivy.

9 hours ago, SSCC said:

Tour Divide is just one example. Free entry but the average rider will spend R35k just for food, drink and the some nights in cheap hotels on the route. Rest of the nights are in your tent or bivy.

Tour divide is also 4,4 times the distance. So your Rand per km is a lot easier on the eye.

But if you consider like Highland 550 trail. I know what it costs to get a bike and race gear to Inverness incl accom for 3 days before and after and food. You will still be half the cost of just the entry fee. Remember Munga also has extra costs, flight back from CT, bike boxing in CT, travel to Bloem, accom after and before....

On 11/17/2022 at 10:55 PM, dave303e said:

But if you consider like Highland 550 trail. I know what it costs to get a bike and race gear to Inverness incl accom for 3 days before and after and food. You will still be half the cost of just the entry fee. 

You can fly to Scotland and back and pay for 6 nights accommodation for R12,500??

Edited by SSCC

On 11/18/2022 at 5:43 PM, SSCC said:

You can fly to Scotland and back and pay for 6 nights accommodation for R12,500??

apologies, my pricing was a little off, I just applied inflation from when I last did it. But you can get to Lodon for around 9k if you book in advance and time it right. Train to Inverness is around R1200-R1500, R650 a night in a backpackers. So R14000 is closer to the truth. But it is not as bad as you think. Still relatively well priced. 

On 11/17/2022 at 10:14 PM, SSCC said:

cool. so staying on the average rider vibe.

tour divide = free race, ~20 days will in your sums cost R35k.

Munga = paid race ~3 days will cost you R28.5k.

And you'll spend some cash at towns and supplements, chow before this, as well as accom either side as that's added into the TD figures. So let's bump it up to R35k

if we also factor in the Big Mac index, and the rand is undervalued 50% to the USD, then the 20day event would cost you half of what the 3 day event costs.

Thanks for proving my point so well, no need to respond. Let's get the thread back to the people riding.

Edited by Shebeen

My first Munga. Preparation has been good with decent training rides and recovery (with a forced break 7 weeks ago due to Covid) over the past 6 months. 

My rig:

Momsen STR 2nd Gen frame

Rockshox Reba suspension fork

Rapide 30mm internal wheelset with an Ikon 29x2.6 (1 bar) front and Ardent Race 2.35 (1.5bar) rear. 

SS ratio 34 x 18

Profile design aero bars on 50mm risers

Fizik Aliante Kium saddle

Restrap 4.5L saddle bag

Topeak 1L top tube bag

Quiver tree 1L feed bag

Running 4 bottles, 3 in the triangle - using Wolftooth B-RAD double bottle adaptor and 1 bottle on the downtube.

Wolftooth roll top bag 0.6L for tools mounted in between bottle cages on downtube

Lighting - 10 800mah battery with single led light - should give me 40hours. Hlemet light 750 Lumen with AAA batteries.

Navigation - Garmin Edge 520 with 10 000mah powerbank, Garmin etrex 30 with AA batteries as backup.

Strategy: Just keep on riding and get to the finish line. Looking at 18-20 hour days in the saddle. Weather forecast is showing temps in the mid to high 30s, strong winds with gusts up to 50km/h on the first couple of days. Slim chance of rain. Not sure where my first sleep will be? Will try to push through to Thursday night at least and see from there. 

This is my first venture beyond the distances of Cullinan2Tonteldoos and SaniNonStop. I have had a training ride of 361km which is about 1/3 the Munga distance. Unknown challenges to me will be the many kms and hours of (possible) solitude through the Karoo. How high will the highs be and how low will the lows be? What will I feel like with sleep deprivation over the days? How will I handle the heat and relentless headwinds?

I have read every thread of Munga on BikeHub, all the blogs that pevious competitors have posted online, watched all the Youtube videos available on Munga and other ultra endurance bikepacking races worldwide. I have had great support from my family and riding groups I ride with. 

Bring on the adventure and the start line 30 November at 12:00. 

SS Munga Rig.jpg

3 minutes ago, Roneblack46 said:

My first Munga. Preparation has been good with decent training rides and recovery (with a forced break 7 weeks ago due to Covid) over the past 6 months. 

My rig:

Momsen STR 2nd Gen frame

Rockshox Reba suspension fork

Rapide 30mm internal wheelset with an Ikon 29x2.6 (1 bar) front and Ardent Race 2.35 (1.5bar) rear. 

SS ratio 34 x 18

Profile design aero bars on 50mm risers

Fizik Aliante Kium saddle

Restrap 4.5L saddle bag

Topeak 1L top tube bag

Quiver tree 1L feed bag

Running 4 bottles, 3 in the triangle - using Wolftooth B-RAD double bottle adaptor and 1 bottle on the downtube.

Wolftooth roll top bag 0.6L for tools mounted in between bottle cages on downtube

Lighting - 10 800mah battery with single led light - should give me 40hours. Hlemet light 750 Lumen with AAA batteries.

Navigation - Garmin Edge 520 with 10 000mah powerbank, Garmin etrex 30 with AA batteries as backup.

Strategy: Just keep on riding and get to the finish line. Looking at 18-20 hour days in the saddle. Weather forecast is showing temps in the mid to high 30s, strong winds with gusts up to 50km/h on the first couple of days. Slim chance of rain. Not sure where my first sleep will be? Will try to push through to Thursday night at least and see from there. 

This is my first venture beyond the distances of Cullinan2Tonteldoos and SaniNonStop. I have had a training ride of 361km which is about 1/3 the Munga distance. Unknown challenges to me will be the many kms and hours of (possible) solitude through the Karoo. How high will the highs be and how low will the lows be? What will I feel like with sleep deprivation over the days? How will I handle the heat and relentless headwinds?

I have read every thread of Munga on BikeHub, all the blogs that pevious competitors have posted online, watched all the Youtube videos available on Munga and other ultra endurance bikepacking races worldwide. I have had great support from my family and riding groups I ride with. 

Bring on the adventure and the start line 30 November at 12:00. 

SS Munga Rig.jpg

lekker post, I will do a similar one when time permits. For me, Ouberg pass is where the only real life threatening obstacle is located. I did a Sutherland to Padstal recce there earlier this year and from what Alex has said last night, the pass is washing away rapidly and the chances are good that this MIGHT be the last Munga to go down Ouberg as the local municipality has stopped maintaining it. If what he is saying is true, going down that pass at night, tired and with an ever encroaching drop off on both sides in some places, is going to take some serious focus.

Good luck and see you at the finish line!