durbanville to philadelphia

Roxi

has anyone cycled (solo) from durbanville to philadelphia? if so, what’s the safest route?

I've done it via adderley and wellington road but think wellington road is safer. But would still not recommend solo. There might be someone here that knows of group rides that go out that way that you can maybe join. 

I've done the Adderley to Philadelphia and back solo lots of times. First part of Adderley has lots of mountain bikes on it, second part they become less prevalent but still the odd rider. Once you are on Philadelphia road you'll probably be one of the only bikes on the road. It's also a bit of a dangerous road as there is no shoulder and lots of trucks, most trucks give you plenty of space but the odd one that doesn't can get scary fast.

3 decent options, all of which i regularly ride and are "safe". nothing is 100% safe, theres always opportunists.

1. the simple/short route along koeberg/adderley, left onto the philadelphia road. not much of a shoulder on the philadelphia road and vehicles hurtle past, but just keep your wits about you and keep an eye over your shoulder.

2. along wellington/klipheuwel and turn left before silos. reasonably wide shoulder until the turn, where its the same as above. biggest threat is the odd two-tone shirted hilux driver who believe everything needs to be driven to at 160.

3. a bit risqué and i'll catch flak but over vissershoek, onto the n7 (for 2km) and off at Van Schoorsdrif Rd (the ostrich farm road). albeit not for the faint of heart, i feel alot safer than on other roads, and only do it with BRIGHT lights and a buddy, early when cars are at a minimum. once you're off the N7 on van Schoorsdrif, its solitary bliss, no cars, no people.

if riding solo is a concern. there are many forum folk who i'm sure would happily join for the pedal. weekend mornings, the roads are not want for cyclists.

There has been an incident basically where Adderly crosses Philadelphia rd…back when the white bakkie on the side of the road M.O was a thing. They’d be parked on the side of the road pretending to have a flat or something and then grab the bike. Cant remember the user on here though. Probably 3 or 4 years ago. 

any solo ride on a road a bit further out where it gets quiet is risky imo. Just be careful.

Edited by MORNE

7 hours ago, Roxi said:

has anyone cycled (solo) from durbanville to philadelphia? if so, what’s the safest route?

Roxi I regularly cycle to Philadelphia.

Starting from Bellville I often go there via Bottelary, Klipheuwel, Philladelphia.

Tomorrow I will be doing the short route .... Durbanville, Adderley, Philladelphia.

My return trip is mostly via Adderley.

Safety ... minimal to no shoulder.  Most vehicles are nice.

Security .... no issues over the last 2 years.

As noted above.  LOTS of cyclists on Aderley until you get to Malanshoogte.  Less cyclists for the rest of the way, still never really alone.

Pepper Tree always has many cyclists.

With prevailing SE winds .... most rides are a decent workout on the way back ....

It boggles the mind that people here are actively advocating riding solo at all…

Van Schoorsdrift road is a known issue for motorists and bikers due to the less savory nature of the business conducted along that road. 

Wannabe was the Hubber relieved of his bike just before the Occultdale turnoff a few years ago. 
The shoulder of Koeberg is non existent and many drivers have no respect for cyclists. I know several cars on sight for having “ almost deliberately” tried to take out bikes on more than one occasion. 
Once you turn on to the Philadelphia road there is a rough gravel shoulder , fine for a MTB.

Wellington Road also a known hot spot due to the proximity to Fisantekraal.

Please make the effort to find a buddy!

1 minute ago, Da Vinci said:

It boggles the mind that people here are actively advocating riding solo at all…

Van Schoorsdrift road is a known issue for motorists and bikers due to the less savory nature of the business conducted along that road. 

Wannabe was the Hubber relieved of his bike just before the Occultdale turnoff a few years ago. 
The shoulder of Koeberg is non existent and many drivers have no respect for cyclists. I know several cars on sight for having “ almost deliberately” tried to take out bikes on more than one occasion. 
Once you turn on to the Philadelphia road there is a rough gravel shoulder , fine for a MTB.

Wellington Road also a known hot spot due to the proximity to Fisantekraal.

Please make the effort to find a buddy!

Groups have a measure of safety.

BUT ... every day there are more solo riders on those roads than groups.

Obviously, stay way clear of known hot spots, irrespective of group size.

On 11/19/2022 at 10:56 AM, Roxi said:

Adderley road, I’ve done it plenty of times this year solo at different times of the day and different days of the week and never felt threatened by vehicles or muggers.

On 11/20/2022 at 7:12 PM, ChrisF said:

This morning we were two.  

A-1.jpg.e781040da43f619c47a258e5c65d2a3a.jpg

Many groups of 2 or 3.

Even more solo riders.

From Malanshoogte there were much less cyclists.

Chris, I always wonder why mountain bikers cycle on the tar when, as in your pic, there is perfectly good gravel right next to the road. Just that 1 m to the left will be a lot safer. I know there are some sections on that road where there is no option but to use the tar, but why not diminish the risk and use the verge?

I often do the Koeberg, R304 to Occultdale and then back south. On the R304 I ride on the gravel verge on the side of the road, it is perfectly OK for a mountain bike or gravel bike.

1 hour ago, erasmus.merwe@gmail.com said:

Chris, I always wonder why mountain bikers cycle on the tar when, as in your pic, there is perfectly good gravel right next to the road. Just that 1 m to the left will be a lot safer. I know there are some sections on that road where there is no option but to use the tar, but why not diminish the risk and use the verge?

I often do the Koeberg, R304 to Occultdale and then back south. On the R304 I ride on the gravel verge on the side of the road, it is perfectly OK for a mountain bike or gravel bike.

But most parts of Adderley road don't have that shoulder? So if you are going to cycle down to the R304 you are going to spend a lot of time on the tar anyway. I find that motorists on that road are generally aware that cyclists use that road often and pass wide (the part I get really scared is close to the Fisantekraal school where the mommies on the school run often drive like maniacs)

The R304 I generally avoid if I'm on my road bike except occasionally on weekends when its sometimes quieter. If I'm on the mtb I stick to the gravel shoulder as far as possible.

9 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

But most parts of Adderley road don't have that shoulder? 

Yes, it is a risk.

Last Friday morning I got wiped out by a driver in a Golf, I was going south in Koeberg towards the High School when the golf turned left at the circle at Koeberg and Plein street without indicating. I ended on the pavement with a grazed knee, no other damage to body or bike. But it was again a reminder to be wide awake and expect the unexpected.

5 minutes ago, erasmus.merwe@gmail.com said:

Yes, it is a risk.

Last Friday morning I got wiped out by a driver in a Golf, I was going south in Koeberg towards the High School when the golf turned left at the circle at Koeberg and Plein street without indicating. I ended on the pavement with a grazed knee, no other damage to body or bike. But it was again a reminder to be wide awake and expect the unexpected.

Just this morning a kid was wiped out from his motorcycle by a car at the same place - that spot is super dangerous!

On 11/19/2022 at 10:56 AM, Roxi said:

No incidents for me, @Roxi, and I roll there often over the years. What I do count on is a good back light and visible socks/shoes. The road to Philadelphia after turning left from Durbanville can be a bit intense with high speed vehicles travelling between the West Coast and the interior. 

All the best.