Downhill trails in western cape ?

Troy Hussey

What do you mean by downhill? Like actual DH race stages or just proper enduro downhill stuff?

either way:

almost everything here has something on offer but you'll be hard pressed to beat Jonkershoek for gnarly descends around here. Most of the trailheads have a dedicated DH line too.

edit: WC as in and around Cape Town.

there are more outside this catchment too. Literally mtb heaven here compared to the rest of SA.

@Robbie Stewart give this man a list will you😅

Edited by MORNE

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

@Warren Melissa Go Riding

Has some excellent videos ....

You forgot to mention they have a youtube channel covering most of the trails.

https://youtube.com/@WarrenMelissaGoRiding

OP: dont let the Gopro effect fool you, some of the stuff is proper steep in person. Jonkers DH will have your brakes boiling before the halfway mark haha. That or if you prefer not to use them coward levers….you'll be going down there at 60kph+

Edited by MORNE

Where to start....work your way from Tokai MTB to the Northern suburbs, Contermans, Hoogekraal anywhere in Tygerberg MTB, then make your way to Stellenbosch for Majik Forest, Jonkershoek

but your first stop should really be www.trailforks.com.....

17 minutes ago, MORNE said:

You forgot to mention they have a youtube channel covering most of the trails.

https://youtube.com/@WarrenMelissaGoRiding

OP: dont let the Gopro effect fool you, some of the stuff is proper steep in person. Jonkers DH will have your brakes boiling before the halfway mark haha. That or if you prefer not to use them coward levers….you'll be going down there at 60kph+

TRUE .... I did Jonkershoek after watching their videos .... 😬🙈

Those Red down lines feel way differently in real life than watching their videos .....

Lesson learnt .... should have climbed 1 max 2 stages, then tried out the down section .... repeat, climbing a bit higher ....

Dont forget Helderberg, you might just catch the Neethlings on the trail.

Helderberg and Jonkers are your best bet for as close to possible downhill lines. Everything else is a mixup of XC and a bit of enduro style lines.

Edited by Eddy Gordo

What they all said. Nothing I can say to add value other than "send it" 💪🏻.

But if I had to make my own list as @MORNE  insists;

Jonkershoek:

Armageddon - Rocky janky fun

Iron Monkey - rockier, jankier fun

Tokai - forest lines without the trees

Tygerberg:

Hoogekraal - jumps. Some rocks

Contermanskloof - my go to favourite.       Some tech lines that are rather good fun

Helderberg - this and Jonkershoek for the best true DH vibes.

Everything else is mostly just singletrack.

Some noteworthy mentions:

Hellsend when it's open for some insanity

Plaisir de Merle for an insanely good DH flow line with a gazillion crazy good jumps.

Banhoek is a good flow trail option. Hard to beat the bang for the buck. The smile per kilometer ratio is high there.

In fact, just bring your bike and ride. You won't be sorry whatever you end up doing.

There's also Paarl and the Table Mountain stuff with super easy tar shuttle roads.

But the chicken dinner is a Hellsend shuttle day. That's the closest you'll get to a Euro bike park in SA. Endless shuttles, Flow lines, DH lines, small jumps, big jumps, massive jumps, holy **** jumps, mulch jump, pump track 

13 hours ago, Troy Hussey said:

Im going to western cape for holiday, does anyone know any downhill trails in the area worth checking out ?

Are you bringing a DH bike that you want shuttled to the top? Or a big bike that can be pedalled?

Self Shuttling can be done at Paarl DH.

Shuttle days happen at Hellsend, and IIRC sometimes at Avondale, but you'll have to Google to find out details. 

Pedaling for fun DH lines can be done at Helderberg, Jonkershoek, Tokai and Contermanskloof. 

37 minutes ago, Duane_Bosch said:

There's also Paarl and the Table Mountain stuff with super easy tar shuttle roads.

But the chicken dinner is a Hellsend shuttle day. That's the closest you'll get to a Euro bike park in SA. Endless shuttles, Flow lines, DH lines, small jumps, big jumps, massive jumps, holy **** jumps, mulch jump, pump track 

Chicken dinner....

3 hours ago, PhilipV said:

Are you bringing a DH bike that you want shuttled to the top? Or a big bike that can be pedalled?

Self Shuttling can be done at Paarl DH.

Shuttle days happen at Hellsend, and IIRC sometimes at Avondale, but you'll have to Google to find out details. 

Pedaling for fun DH lines can be done at Helderberg, Jonkershoek, Tokai and Contermanskloof. 

EDIT - Hoogekraal now also offer shuttle services (specific days and times apply)

Screenshot_20221206-114455_Chrome.jpg.ea12fe2d2aa1827de646295048ed6c64.jpg

Edited by ChrisF

16 minutes ago, Duane_Bosch said:

Yissie that oke on the Turner is a Shredder hey?

2019 , was that the last time you were on a MTB? 🤐