Formula cura mineral oil alternatives?

NAS01

On 1/17/2023 at 11:04 AM, Headshot said:

You didnt complete your sentence  or do you mean to say the lever feels funny with Total?

On 1/17/2023 at 11:49 AM, DieselnDust said:

Not sure what you mean by very think or clearly as LHM isn’t very viscous. 

Put LHM in one of your brakes and the Shimano oil in the other and go for a ride. LHM lever always feels sticky, it's definitely a little thicker, maybe ever so slightly, but you'll notice it when you're able to compare them back to back. 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

they use DoT 4 brake fluid in Audi /vw bottles. But it’s generic stuff. They do charge more for it though….

Precisely my point. BMW spec certain long life oil but plenty of manufacturers supply the same spec available at nearly any motor dealer.

1 hour ago, Adr!@n said:

Put LHM in one of your brakes and the Shimano oil in the other and go for a ride. LHM lever always feels sticky, it's definitely a little thicker, maybe ever so slightly, but you'll notice it when you're able to compare them back to back. 

Maybe but I really could not be bothered. I have LHM in both and am very picky when it comes to lever feel and lack of return speed and I'm totally happy with how they feel on the LHM.

19 hours ago, Mongoose! said:

Does the same apply to disc brake cleaner?

Muc off price vs Midas inhouse brand price    ... vs mild soap water   :whistling:

I certainly would rather opt for methylated spirits and a very clean rag before I go down the mild soap and water route.

11 hours ago, PhilipV said:

Too bad they can't seem to make reliable mechatronic units for said gearbox. One theory I read is that the gearbox oil is corrosive and that it damages the sensors that is part of the mecatronic unit. 

Golf 5 DSG mechatronic units were problematic, mostly the gearbox computer itself. This was resolved for the 6 and further improved for the 7. The actual gearbox itself hasn't changed

7 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Precisely my point. BMW spec certain long life oil but plenty of manufacturers supply the same spec available at nearly any motor dealer.

eeer BMW is a bit of a special case depending on the engine. They had some problems with their first direct injection petrol engines and intake valve deposits. They needed a special formulation to allow these engines to get out of warranty before requiring a cylinder head overall. As long as the engine oil meets those specific BMW specs it was suitable for use. Not all oil co's had submitted formulations to meet the BMW requirements due to the cost but still meet ACEA, API and other manufacturer specs

1 hour ago, Adr!@n said:

Shimano is ISO VG 7 vs LHM+ ISO VG 20  @ 40 degrees C

Through a small orifice yes it will be noticeable but it should not be a problem when up to temperature

46 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

eeer BMW is a bit of a special case depending on the engine. They had some problems with their first direct injection petrol engines and intake valve deposits. They needed a special formulation to allow these engines to get out of warranty before requiring a cylinder head overall. As long as the engine oil meets those specific BMW specs it was suitable for use. Not all oil co's had submitted formulations to meet the BMW requirements due to the cost but still meet ACEA, API and other manufacturer specs

Off topic, but from what I can see, emission requirements have added levels of complexity to modern engines that cause all sorts of issues later in the engine/car's life EGR valves and DPF filters in diesels and so-called long life oils in gearboxes that mechanics don't ever change but according to the gear box manufacturer should be done every100k km. Etc...

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

Shimano is ISO VG 7 vs LHM+ ISO VG 20  @ 40 degrees C

Through a small orifice yes it will be noticeable but it should not be a problem when up to temperature

what did you say about @Headshot 's orifice?

10 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Golf 5 DSG mechatronic units were problematic, mostly the gearbox computer itself. This was resolved for the 6 and further improved for the 7. The actual gearbox itself hasn't changed

I don't know about which one corresponds to the box in my wife's 2019 tiguan, but it didn't make it past 45k kms before the computer needed replacing last year. 

17 hours ago, PhilipV said:

I don't know about which one corresponds to the box in my wife's 2019 tiguan, but it didn't make it past 45k kms before the computer needed replacing last year. 

7 speed box?

Sorry, TLDR…

I clicked because i have formula’s…but see some of you are breaking your Beetle gearboxes by using bicycle brake fluid in them?

Did I get the gist? 
🤣

1 hour ago, PhilipV said:

Indeed. Mated to the 120kw Tdi. 

That combo didn’t work so well. The new Tiguan uses the same gearbox as the GTi which is designed for a much higher torque rating than the unit vw initially fitted ( designed for polo). Huge faux pas on their part but they learned quickly that cost cutting im isn’t always clever even if the method of how you arrived at the numbers was. SA is not Europe and that little gearbox didn’t cut it in that heavy body in SA.