Which Mtb parks are not overgrown and full of muddy pools

Sam LTC

Can you recommend which rides are free of mud pools and overgrowth in Johannesburg?

This morning I cut my ride short due to there being too much mud and the route being overgrown.

I look forward to riding my ebike without these obstacles.

Wolwespruit is very well maintained, some of the flow lines are closed for renovation/upgrades, but most of the trails are open and flowing nicely

Grootfontien is also in good condition and very little mud around

Nothern Farms, Asidlale (Leeukop Prison), and Cradle Moon (red loop I hear has taken a beating after the rain) are all in pretty good condition. Last 20 odd Km of Modderfontein yellow loop was alright the other day, first 10km or so of yellow route was quite overgrown unfortunately. 

Rode at Asidlale (Leeukop Prison) yesterday, some muddy sections on Mars Bars, other sections of the trails were cut, but then you ride on cushions of grass of the grass that was cut for a bit. 

I rode a little single track in Kempton Park yesterday near the R21 . It's 12kms long , only one little patch of mud, nice and flowing with quite a few berms. Nothing overly challenging - my wife and I ride it on our tandem.

Entrance is on Blaauwklippen Ave , Glen Erasmia. Fee is on a zapper/snapscan honesty system.

17 hours ago, JRN89 said:

Nothern Farms, Asidlale (Leeukop Prison), and Cradle Moon (red loop I hear has taken a beating after the rain) are all in pretty good condition. Last 20 odd Km of Modderfontein yellow loop was alright the other day, first 10km or so of yellow route was quite overgrown unfortunately. 

We rode there on Saturday morning. Nothing quite like riding a hidden ( overgrown) singletrack on a tandem to test your stoker's faith in your ability to correct mistakes.

2 hours ago, I FLY said:

I rode a little single track in Kempton Park yesterday near the R21 . It's 12kms long , only one little patch of mud, nice and flowing with quite a few berms. Nothing overly challenging - my wife and I ride it on our tandem.

Entrance is on Blaauwklippen Ave , Glen Erasmia. Fee is on a zapper/snapscan honesty system.

Hello Craig

3 hours ago, I FLY said:

Is that the Riverfields MTB Park ? what fee are they asking for ?

4 minutes ago, Brakepad said:

Is that the Riverfields MTB Park ? what fee are they asking for ?

It is the Riverfields and you decide on the donation you want to give.

Mud guards are a viable option.
Quite a few of the trail parks around Gauteng will have mud and growth with it being rain season, couple weeks of sun with a heatwave, and the growth explodes. We’re only in mid Jan, most of the guys have teams of people out cutting. 

Thaba, Asidale and Hennops may be your most dry options.