[Event] WP Criterium Championships 2023

City Cycling  Athletic Club

Event Name: WP Criterium Championships 2023
When: 05/02/2023
Where: Paarden Eiland, Cape Town, Western Cape
Category: Road

Get excited for our Elite and Junior Regional Criterium Championships, hosted by WP Cycling. Diarise the dates in February and March as WP Cycling will be running 4 great days of racing for the Junior and Open WP Criterium Championships for men and women, as well as non-championship support races.

The courses are a mixture of fast flowy and tight technical corners which will test the skills of riders across all categories.

There will be 4 races at each event , starting with ‘come and try’ race inclusive of the u17 and U19 development riders. This will be followed by a race for the more serious and faster club members in the inter club competition and then the best Men and Women will race to be crowned the best criterium racer

Entries open through WP Cycling soon!

Go to Event Page.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, City Cycling Athletic Club said:

Event Name: WP Criterium Championships 2023
When: 05/02/2023
Where: Paarden Eiland, Cape Town, Western Cape
Category: Road

Get excited for our Elite and Junior Regional Criterium Championships, hosted by WP Cycling. Diarise the dates in February and March as WP Cycling will be running 4 great days of racing for the Junior and Open WP Criterium Championships for men and women, as well as non-championship support races.

The courses are a mixture of fast flowy and tight technical corners which will test the skills of riders across all categories.

There will be 4 races at each event , starting with ‘come and try’ race inclusive of the u17 and U19 development riders. This will be followed by a race for the more serious and faster club members in the inter club competition and then the best Men and Women will race to be crowned the best criterium racer

Entries open through WP Cycling soon!

Go to Event Page.

I'm confused, so where does a rider that is usually a Veteran age cat, compete?

Milky...basicly as follows.

1. Novice,u17 and u19 in the "Come and try" race.

2. Cat 2 & 3 in the "Inter club competition"

3. Cat 1 in the "Best women and Best men competition"

Hope this sums it up.

8 hours ago, babse said:

Will the timing be as spectacular as the weekend past?

#askingforafriend 

ah ah

last year it was racetec timed if I remember correctly, was actually a pretty cool series, I missed the Century City one because of Covid, but  the paarden eiland and Alsa park were a ton of fun !

12 hours ago, milky4130 said:

I'm confused, so where does a rider that is usually a Veteran age cat, compete?

last year there was a veteran's category which was very poorly supported. did you take part? this year we have changed it to a club competition for your typically veteran and those cyclists who are not of the cat 1/elite standard 

1 hour ago, City Cycling Athletic Club said:

last year there was a veteran's category which was very poorly supported. did you take part? this year we have changed it to a club competition for your typically veteran and those cyclists who are not of the cat 1/elite standard 

Top level Vets are more than competitive in WP Elite category. Will also more than likely tactically out ride the youngsters also 

Edited by J Wakefield

2 hours ago, City Cycling Athletic Club said:

Unfortunately not but thanks for the explanation.

5 hours ago, Jbr said:

ah ah

last year it was racetec timed if I remember correctly, was actually a pretty cool series, I missed the Century City one because of Covid, but  the paarden eiland and Alsa park were a ton of fun !

Only fun when you are the one causing havoc & podiuming and putting the rest in the hurt box 😝

2 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

Top level Vets are more than competitive in WP Elite category. Will also more than likely tactically out ride the youngsters also 

….As I experienced at WP Road champs this weekend past…..

masters competitors can ride cat 3, 2 or 1. 
veterans can tide cat 2 or 1 . 

my question is what mechanism provides effective herding to ensure fair competition?

28 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

my question is what mechanism provides effective herding to ensure fair competition?

WP always uses self seeding, and in my experience people are better at self seeding than what the Racetec system with it's arbitrary adjustment values and penalty system is.

The mechanism to stop riders going up a cat prematurely is fear of getting your legs smashed off, and the mechanism to stop sandbagging is public shaming... 🤷‍♂️

33 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Instagram shaming should do it.

36 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Yip. Veterans were faster than elites out the gate and only gave up the time gained after 100km. Different race, different tactics, different distances etc, but this shows what you are saying nicely.

Graph is normalised to vets and shows the elites at first giving up part of their 10min head start...

image.png.decb8e638a1bdea070961327e8aca5c0.png

On 1/18/2023 at 2:34 PM, DieselnDust said:

hence WP have introduced the inter club race , those vets that are of cat1 / elite standard will be racing in the championship event. last year the vets event was dominated by 3 very strong vets from sponsored teams , the rest of the vets did not team up (read did not work together) to maintain a viable time gap and handed the race to them. hopefully team dynamics come into it to make the racing more tactical.

WP Criteriums – Championships , Top Team and Top Club competition

Sunday 5  Feb – Paarden Eiland

Sunday 19 Feb – Asla Industrial Park Somerset West

Sunday 5 March – Century City (Link Road)

Saturday 18 March – Century City (Urban Square)

First race of the day

U17 , u19 and Novice Criteriums

WP is excited to announce the first of our Criterium Come & Try Sessions! If you've ever wanted to give criterium racing a go but weren't quite confident in your skillset, then this session is perfect for you!

2nd race of the day

Inter Club Competition

This series of events is aimed at bona fide members of CSA affiliated clubs.

Clubs are encouraged to enter at least 4 cyclists to take part in the Inter Club criteriums.

The same members do not have to represent the club in each event.

Clubs may enter more than 4 riders but only the first 4 riders will score points for the competition.

Clubs will be awarded the points gained by 4 of their members in each event to determine the TOP Club at the end of the series.

Prize money to be awarded to the first 3 Top Clubs

A podium presentation for the first 3 finishers will take place after each event.

Individuals may take part and will podium if they finish in the first 3 places

Championships inclusive of Team Competition

Individual Competition - The champion shall be decided by the accumulation of points over the series. The winner shall be the individual with the most points scored over the 4 events. If riders have equal points, then the overall position in the series will be determined by best finishing position of the rider head to head over the series. If the champion still cannot be determined then the finishing position of the rider in the last event shall determine the champion.

Team competition – Teams will be awarded the points scored by 4 of their riders in each event.

If the team does not have at least 4 members in the race , the team will not score point for that particular event.

The Top Team will be determined by the accumulation of points of their riders over the duration of the series.

Sponsored Team members may not take part in the Inter Club competition.

38 minutes ago, City Cycling Athletic Club said:

WP Criteriums – Championships , Top Team and Top Club competition

Sunday 5  Feb – Paarden Eiland

Sunday 19 Feb – Asla Industrial Park Somerset West

Sunday 5 March – Century City (Link Road)

Saturday 18 March – Century City (Urban Square)

First race of the day

U17 , u19 and Novice Criteriums

WP is excited to announce the first of our Criterium Come & Try Sessions! If you've ever wanted to give criterium racing a go but weren't quite confident in your skillset, then this session is perfect for you!

2nd race of the day

Inter Club Competition

This series of events is aimed at bona fide members of CSA affiliated clubs.

Clubs are encouraged to enter at least 4 cyclists to take part in the Inter Club criteriums.

The same members do not have to represent the club in each event.

Clubs may enter more than 4 riders but only the first 4 riders will score points for the competition.

Clubs will be awarded the points gained by 4 of their members in each event to determine the TOP Club at the end of the series.

Prize money to be awarded to the first 3 Top Clubs

A podium presentation for the first 3 finishers will take place after each event.

Individuals may take part and will podium if they finish in the first 3 places

Championships inclusive of Team Competition

Individual Competition - The champion shall be decided by the accumulation of points over the series. The winner shall be the individual with the most points scored over the 4 events. If riders have equal points, then the overall position in the series will be determined by best finishing position of the rider head to head over the series. If the champion still cannot be determined then the finishing position of the rider in the last event shall determine the champion.

Team competition – Teams will be awarded the points scored by 4 of their riders in each event.

If the team does not have at least 4 members in the race , the team will not score point for that particular event.

The Top Team will be determined by the accumulation of points of their riders over the duration of the series.

Sponsored Team members may not take part in the Inter Club competition.

Is there a start time for this?