Rear axel not coming out

Stoffel76

6 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

what can be done to ensure that an axle doesn't become jammed? thin grease on the axle?

yes that helps.

I'd also say that a heavy rider should not be concerned with light weight thru axles that can bend. The axle through the end caps is a transition fit so any damage to the axle where it interfaces with the end cap will create a problem. 

Don't damage the end caps and keep the inside surface of the end cap greased

3 hours ago, waveduke said:

I can't believe this - same thing happened with my Scalpel just now.

I was able to push back the axle with a hammer and a piece of pipe just enough to get rear wheel out. Once I got it out the cassette fell off - seems that the freewheel body just disintegrated. The axle is still stuck inside the hub. Time for a new rear hub I guess...

you can definitely jack spanner a press of sorts to sort it out. If you are not comfortable most engineering shops can make something up or configure their press to sot you out. I have pressed a few rear Enduro/MX bike axles out with various things like pipe clamps, bottle jacks and scrap metal welded together to cradle it.

1 hour ago, lechatnoir said:

what can be done to ensure that an axle doesn't become jammed? thin grease on the axle?

I have a light coat of belray waterproof grease on mine. Also means when washing there is less change of water getting in there as well.

15 minutes ago, ichnusa said:

I think the axles are seizing onto the bearing inner races and not the end caps….

usually the case, especially if it is an aluminum through axle onto a steel bearing race. Galvanic corrosion.

Not all hubs have a sleeve between the bearing race and the through axle.  Some hubs have the bearing sitting straight on the axle and i have found it quite stuck in some wheels.  Not sure if that is the case in with this one.  

2 hours ago, lechatnoir said:

I prefer anti-seize to grease since it's more difficult to wash out. Grease can also oxidise, which makes it thick and not very good at lubricating. Regular removal, cleaning and regreasing of the skewer will also help, and makes the lubricant used less critical sonce it's changed more often.

In Stoffel's case, the anodising on the axle was damaged and the alu had corroded, seizing the skewer into the axle. If the anodising is still good, then a light coating of grease will usually do the job.

Had same problem. Got punch from Builders and tapped it repeatedly over a couple of days with lots of muti to loosen it up. All was well in the end. 

On 2/8/2023 at 2:31 PM, droo said:

I prefer anti-seize to grease since it's more difficult to wash out. Grease can also oxidise, which makes it thick and not very good at lubricating. Regular removal, cleaning and regreasing of the skewer will also help, and makes the lubricant used less critical sonce it's changed more often.

In Stoffel's case, the anodising on the axle was damaged and the alu had corroded, seizing the skewer into the axle. If the anodising is still good, then a light coating of grease will usually do the job.

Thanks Droo for sorting it out (and a whole bunch of other maintenance related stuff...)

👍