To Range Extend or not?

Wannabe

Going from 32Tooth to 34 Tooth makes very little difference 6,25%

This Means that 30Km/hour becomes 31,875 km/hr.

Range Extender Did Not Really Work for Me but many people Swear by It.

The Answer is to Purchase a New 1X12 System with 10-50 Cassette 36 Front Ring

This will yield a 22.5% Improvement (10% + 12.5 %)

This means that 30 Km/hour becomes 36.75 Km /hour

1 hour ago, NC_lurker said:

You need to work on increasing your cadence

Screenshot_20230222-174839.png

VERY nice app :thumbup:  Please share the name of the app.

I typically average 75 to 85 r.p.m. cadence.  Just came back from a nice post work ride, getting up to 50km/h with the 38-11 combination on  couple of sections.  Not sure what cadence that was, post work rides gets recorded on the watch ....

On the MTB with the 36-11 combination it is "not fun" trying maintain 40km/h.  (but yea ... the more miles in the saddle, the longer I can keep it there ...)

At least the OP now has some frame of reference ..... what speed is he looking for ? .... what gears AND cadence will get him there ....

42 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

Think I'll bite the bullet and get one of these, and eliminate any possible hassles.

SHIMANO DEORE RD-M5100 SGS 11-SPEED REAR DERAILLEUR (11-51T)

And it is only slightly more expensive than a Goatlink. 

And the Shimano 11spd 11-51 cassette is less expensive than sunrace 11-50

6 minutes ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

@ChrisF runs out of motor 😜 new software like some of these guys pushing 60kph on their e-bikes until they run out of talent 🤣

met sulke pelle ....:P

nou nie n goeie gat krap met feite bevark nie .... It was the ebike that pushed UP my cadence from the low to mid 70's.  These e-bikes are happiest in the mid 80's ....  WORST thing is seeing a newbie on an ebike trying to "power pedal" it at 50 rpm, the motor is so far out of its power zone !

9 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

And the ratios is better. 👍

Yip when I built up my new bike I got SRAM Lunar with Shimano cassette because the ratios is much better especially at the top 39,45,51 better than 42,50 and definitely better than 42,52. 

I know sram is coming with a new cassette later this year but that will start with the xx1 and some time before we see it in a more affordable form. 

13 hours ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

And the Shimano 11spd 11-51 cassette is less expensive than sunrace 11-50

This is what I did, got a 11sp deore 11-51 and then purchased a 12 speed deore rear mech.

Works perfectly with my 11 speed XT shifter. 

Then a few months later I realised I don't need the 51 and cut it off making a lightweight 10 speed 11-45 that works with 11 speed shifter and rear mech. (as its still 11sp spacing) 

1 hour ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

This is what I did, got a 11sp deore 11-51 and then purchased a 12 speed deore rear mech.

Works perfectly with my 11 speed XT shifter. 

Then a few months later I realised I don't need the 51 and cut it off making a lightweight 10 speed 11-45 that works with 11 speed shifter and rear mech. (as its still 11sp spacing) 

I would have kept the 51 and fit one size bigger chain ring.  That why you could use the 51 AND have a bit more top end speed, just saying, use it don't use it .... 🤪

Edited by TheoG

2 hours ago, TheoG said:

I would have kept the 51 and fit one size bigger chain ring.  That why you could use the 51 AND have a bit more top end speed, just saying, use it don't use it .... 🤪

Not a racer... and prefer a smaller chain ring up front for trials type riding. but I hear you