Bakkie bike rack

Pieter1

Hi everyone.

I recently got a bakkie and it came with one of these: https://www.aeroklas.com/product/18436/deck-cover-speed 
I'm sure I can use a tailgate pad but the thought of driving with this thing half open sort of irks me. 
Has anyone got something similar with a bike rack on it or maybe a roof rack that could fit on it? I'm just fishing for ideas here.

Thanks

Might be best just to use a bike rack on the tow hitch... With a tailgate pad that thing will end up sitting on the back of your saddle and rubbing it.

16 hours ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Hey man, I have some Skitch racks that might work with that, let me know if you want to check

Thanks Chad. I'm still living in Brunei tho. Finding things here is difficult, will have to order somethin online. Can you share some pics of the things?

16 hours ago, dave303e said:

Might be best just to use a bike rack on the tow hitch... With a tailgate pad that thing will end up sitting on the back of your saddle and rubbing it.

Ah man I did not even consider the seat rubbing. I might have to get a tow hitch put on.

First thing is to figure out if you can put roof racks onto that thing? If you can, slap a Thule carrier of choice onto these racks and go forth. 

@Pieter1 I think you are looking for something like this

image.jpeg.342a5f66da72e95c69f9ba48570d2696.jpegBike Carriers – Utemaster

but check the cost vs a towbar and rack. Also if your deck is smooth then maybe seasucker or similar racks could work

Best option is the Thule roof racks over that cover, but then you can’t open it.

Next best option is a towbar rack.

wouldn’t recommend a tailgate solution.

I had something like this on a Bantam bakkie years ago. The Bantam had a "cab protector" fram e behind the cab rear window. I mounted a fork mount bracket to that and bolted the fork in place on that. Rear wheel rested on the loadbed cover. I made a bracket bolted to the cover to keep it in place with bunji cords. The gas struts was strong enough to open the lid with the bike (x2) on it. Since the fork was attached to the bakkie frame, the lid only had to lift half the bike mass and it pivoted around the fork bracket. Put the front wheel inside the load bin. Worked really nice. 

I may have a photo somewhere but will have to do some digging to find it

On 3/15/2023 at 7:42 AM, Pieter1 said:

Hi everyone.

I recently got a bakkie and it came with one of these: https://www.aeroklas.com/product/18436/deck-cover-speed 
I'm sure I can use a tailgate pad but the thought of driving with this thing half open sort of irks me. 
Has anyone got something similar with a bike rack on it or maybe a roof rack that could fit on it? I'm just fishing for ideas here.

Thanks

What bakkie are we speaking about here...? 

On 3/16/2023 at 3:33 PM, Eddy Gordo said:

@Pieter1 I think you are looking for something like this

image.jpeg.342a5f66da72e95c69f9ba48570d2696.jpegBike Carriers – Utemaster

but check the cost vs a towbar and rack. Also if your deck is smooth then maybe seasucker or similar racks could work

Yes I'm thinking something like this. The shell thing is a little bigger than the load bed so I might have to drill some holes or whatever but I'm cool with that.
Seasucker won't work because the thing has a rough surface.

On 3/16/2023 at 11:41 PM, OVERDRIVE said:

What bakkie are we speaking about here...? 

2022 Ford Ranger

On 3/16/2023 at 4:42 PM, Kom said:

Best option is the Thule roof racks over that cover, but then you can’t open it.

Next best option is a towbar rack.

wouldn’t recommend a tailgate solution.

I'm thinking the roofracks are the best idea. I don't really want to remove the front wheel.

57 minutes ago, Pieter1 said:

I'm thinking the roofracks are the best idea. I don't really want to remove the front wheel.

Keep in mind Thule make a roof rack that also needs the front wheel removed and one without the need to remove the wheel, keep an eye when ordering.

The one benefit of removing the front wheel is that the bikes sit lower nicely behind the cab.