What justifies replacing a helmet?

Scott roy

So I know you’re meant to replace your helmet if it gets any impact of any sorts but just how true is this? 

This afternoon I crashed with a brand new helmet and the helmet received some fair impact however there’s not really a dent or anything, just a bit of a scrape mark. Should I really replace it?  It feels wrong to since it’s a new helmet

I read that even dropping your helmet compromises it ,is it really that bad?

thanks in advance

9 minutes ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

I would look for cracks on the inside.

Definitely do this.

I remember my helmet looking perfectly fine on the outside after a crash, but looking inside revealed multiple cracks.

Check what the crash replacement policy is on the brand. You should get 40-60% off the price of a replacement unit.

Given that the helmet is there to protect a fairly valuable part of your anatomy rather don't risk it..

Also, try squeeze the helmet. Sometimes small cracks are difficult to see but if the helmet has any give, then they're there.

Edited by NC_lurker
More info

Replace. The shell often doesn’t show any damage, but what you can’t see is the compression to the materials under the shell. Once this is compacted, there is no more impact absorption 

FWIW, when I was still riding dirtbikes, I had a big fall one time that landed me up in hospital for a week with a severe concussion, the helmet didnt even have a scratch on it after the fall........

7 hours ago, NC_lurker said:

Check what the crash replacement policy is on the brand. You should get 40-60% off the price of a replacement unit.

Given that the helmet is there to protect a fairly valuable part of your anatomy rather don't risk it..

Also, try squeeze the helmet. Sometimes small cracks are difficult to see but if the helmet has any give, then they're there.

Thanks ,any idea if Scott do the cash replacement? It’s a Scott centric plus

4 hours ago, sirmoun10goat said:

Replace. The shell often doesn’t show any damage, but what you can’t see is the compression to the materials under the shell. Once this is compacted, there is no more impact absorption 

Thanks ,makes sense

No question.......... REPLACE

Helmet done its job.......

This is why I refuse to buy 2nd hand helmets because you wont know the history

Edited by SoloCyclist

4 hours ago, Scott roy said:

Thanks ,any idea if Scott do the cash replacement? It’s a Scott centric plus

Sorry, only dealt with Bell, Giro & Lazer.

Contact the shop you bought it from, they'll sort it out with the distributor.

3 hours ago, NC_lurker said:

Sorry, only dealt with Bell, Giro & Lazer.

Contact the shop you bought it from, they'll sort it out with the distributor.

Does Lazer do replacement ?

Destroyed my Scott previous Saturday, and could only get a Lazer at 17:00 on a Saturday afternoon with a race on Sunday morning.  Certainly fits nicely.  New to the Lazer brand ....

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Does Lazer do replacement ?

Destroyed my Scott previous Saturday, and could only get a Lazer at 17:00 on a Saturday afternoon with a race on Sunday morning.  Certainly fits nicely.  New to the Lazer brand ....

Yup. 50% off a replacement. Ensuring that you buy a brand that offers a decent crash replacement policy makes it far easier to just always err on the side of caution when it comes to replacing the helmet.

I recently tested the policy, couldn't fault the service received. Just make sure to always keep an electronic copy of your sales invoice/slip when purchasing.

https://www.lazersport.com/global/crash-replacement-program

4 hours ago, Scott roy said:

Just went to cyclelab ,they have contacted Scott and hopefully I’ll have a new helmet in the next 5 days 

Out of interest, please let us know what discount you get on the replacement. Thanks 

I recently had an Oakley replaced under crash replacement policy. They contributed 50% of the retail value at the time of purchase.

Just got myself a Giro now and according to salesman, they also come with a crash replacement policy.