[Event] The Gallows

The Gallows

Hi chaps.....just an update on the weather and ride conditions - I live in McGregor and am riding on Saturday. We have had a lot of saturating rain since the weekend and I am sure the surrounding areas have been pummeled as well. Very cold temperatures as well. The ground is extremely wet/sticky and when you hit those red clay/wet sections it will be very clingy/muddy. The first river crossing as you leave the village is flowing nicely, but there is a very muddy section 100 meters out as you approach the river - very little you can do as there is no way to avoid this. My suggestion is to run that section, and carry the bike and wash the feet/shoes off as you go thru the river - pointless stuffing up the bike so early in the ride. You will love the Vrolikheid nature reserve.

Watch out when you descend from the mast, as the tar road is likely to be wet and super slippery. Going to be interesting that's for sure - spot you on the weekend!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of things that look like a toddler drew them, those 80km/h gusts at the turnaround point near Robertson 🙈🙈

IMG_2049.png

Shot in the dark: is anyone going through from McGregor to lord’s tomorrow morning with space for a bike (and me)?

46 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

Shot in the dark: is anyone going through from McGregor to lord’s tomorrow morning with space for a bike (and me)?

just cycle through as a warmup, I did that last year.

40 minutes ago, WaldoZ said:

I feel like I could pick up some bargain gravel bikes after yesterday… DM me if you selling or swop it for a HT MTB 🤣🤪

Also waiting patiently for the ads to go up....

19 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

Race report please?

Not sure it was that bad, there was a sneaky tailwind to trick you into a false sense of hope, then there was a neat head and cross wind, throw in some single track and river crossings. Then just the long slow up with a headwind here and there added to the vibe.

Was a lekker event.

Hi everyone.
Massive thank you to all of you that came out to race and support over the weekend. 

Some of the weather predictions last week were looking really grim. It was breezy, but we're really stoked that the rain stayed away.

First thing, apologies if anyone got lost on the single track after returning to Mcgregor. We did a thorough marking of the route the day before. Someone flipped an arrow and removed all the stickers/signs along that part of the route on the morning of the race.
Next year we will make sure everything is in place just before riders enter the technical sections.

The race itself was freaking chaotic. I don't think anyone expected it to be so hot from the start. It definitely took its toll on the field because ous were absolutely cooked when they rolled into the water points. The men's race saw a break go pretty early with Franko Van Zyl, Dirk Nel and hard man Donovan Le Cok. These 3 were getting chased by clusters of chasing HITTERS the whole way. 
In the women's race, Cherise Williet separated herself from the field pretty early on and got a decent gap on the 3 chasers Nicola Walker, Milly Kretzinger and Layla Schwellnus. One of the pre race favourites, Anneke Lund spent the first half of the race fixing punctures but ended up steaming through the field to grab a 4th place, Just missing the podium. At the top of the mighty Galgeberg it was Cherise with a dominant 1st place, Milly came in 2nd and Nicola Walker took 3rd. Super stoked to see such a stacked women's field this year.

In the men's race, the 3 leaders managed to keep it together until Franko Van Zyl went solo off the front at around 96km in.
A couple km's back, a rampaging Dan Loubser was starting to reel dudes in, he was sitting in about 10th place after suffering a series of mechanicals and wrong turns.

Franko managed to make it to the top in first place with a time of 04:35:41. Hell of a race from him. Chapeau!
The race for second was epic, Donovan managed to grind his way to a very respectable 2nd while a few meters behind Dan Loubser and Dirk Nel went neck a neck for a summit sprint finish. Dan got the last podium spot by a whisker. What a comeback. Dramatic scenes on The Galgeberg, GCN commentators would have lost their voices.

Well done to everyone that came out and raced. Massive thank you to all the marshals and volunteers that helped out on the route during the day, there wouldn't have been a race without them.
Results should be up later today.

See you all next year!
Edited by The Gallows

1 hour ago, Pure Savage said:

Not sure it was that bad, there was a sneaky tailwind to trick you into a false sense of hope, then there was a neat head and cross wind, throw in some single track and river crossings. Then just the long slow up with a headwind here and there added to the vibe.

Was a lekker event.

What about the terrain itself? Was the gravel bike the best option on the day or was it a bit technical?