Lourensford MTB Classic - High Entry costs

leon_pro

I did the race last year, there was ZERO timing, ZERO poduim or any prizegiving, we got a burger included. but the marking of the trail was so bad everyone ended up somewhere else in the mountain and getting lost. ill never do that race again. otherwise rock up a tad later pay the 250 and still go ride the race route, lol

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, avatar said:

I did the race last year, there was ZERO timing, ZERO poduim or any prizegiving, we got a burger included. but the marking of the trail was so bad everyone ended up somewhere else in the mountain and getting lost. ill never do that race again. otherwise rock up a tad later pay the 250 and still go ride the race route, lol

No wonder I couldn't find any results from last year on the interwebsĀ šŸ¤£

This year its part of the Western Cape XCM league so I suspect there will be timing and podiums..

14 hours ago, Scary Rider said:

For that entry the goodie bag better have rice and lentils...šŸ¤­šŸ¤”

Keep us updated on those goodies, you know the nice canvas Castelli bag with power bars and a powerbank and Elite water bottle! And a free get out jail card from your insurance for one month! šŸ«£šŸ˜œ

13 hours ago, Shebeen said:

People who enter races as late as possible are a royal pain in the butt.

I've been an organiser with a lot of effort going in and stupid bloody capetonians sitting on the fence waiting for the weather forecast before committing give you unrequited stress.

And I guarantee they will be the first to moan if there's not enough X/y/z that runs out on the day because you were scrambling to accomodate Johnny come lately at the last minute.

Unconditional refunds because you haven't trained enough? Pfft, sorry boet the time, effort and money has already been spent.

I used to enter events as soon as possible. However, After driving all the way from Somerset West to Paarl to do take part in one of the Bikefest events the Sunday only to get there and then having the races cancelled, Iā€™ve also adopted the book as late as possible mentality.Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

3 hours ago, avatar said:

I hope you had a Coke ā€œZeroā€ with that burgerā€¦. at least! šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

On 3/23/2023 at 12:34 PM, BuffsVintageBikes said:

I noticed that fleecing as well. What makes it worse is that this is the first event on the Marathon calendar so it's not like you can just sit it out if you're going for points.

I'm trusting the goodie bag and water points are going to be pretty damn spectacular for that entry fee.

For R700 i want to be served holy waterĀ 

Perhaps we need to blame Marcus Jooste? Everyting at Lourensford got more expensive after Steinhof crashed.

On 3/23/2023 at 8:09 PM, Shebeen said:

People who enter races as late as possible are a royal pain in the butt.

I've been an organiser with a lot of effort going in and stupid bloody capetonians sitting on the fence waiting for the weather forecast before committing give you unrequited stress.

And I guarantee they will be the first to moan if there's not enough X/y/z that runs out on the day because you were scrambling to accomodate Johnny come lately at the last minute.

Unconditional refunds because you haven't trained enough? Pfft, sorry boet the time, effort and money has already been spent.

Sorry! I'm one of those who enter like when they say last day to enter, I don't enter on the day though.Ā 

I ride enough during the year so no need to train for a race because I am not going to win it so why wolf it down when you can enjoy it.Ā 

As for the the running out of things don't always blame the couple of late oaks, I've done a couple of events which didn't even have water at the last couple of water points.

I'm usually playing well within the first half of entrants and always think of the people far behind who are giving it their all to finish and now have to do it unsupported after paying the big entry fees of these days. That's not cool...Ā 

On 3/23/2023 at 8:44 PM, ChrisF said:

Ā 

Capetonians and events - ALL sports - are a strange mix ....

Ā 

Some attend rain or shine.

Ā 

Some wait until the weather forecast is firm ... which it wont be until the day before the event.

Ā 

It really sucked booking a venue for a group .... you never knew if 10 or 80 would rock up ....

Unless you are a famous wood collector Chris, then booking venues are a breeze šŸ˜œ

1 minute ago, gemmerbal said:

Unless you are a famous wood collector Chris, then booking venues are a breeze šŸ˜œ

Ā 

You just feel, and look, like a twit when only a handful rocks up to the venue .... šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

4 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Ā 

You just feel, and look, like a twit when only a handful rocks up to the venue .... šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

I hear you. Its difficult enough to get my family together for a braai, let alone organise an event. Respect.Ā 
Ā 

Edit: organise an event for a couple hundred wannabe Ninoā€™sā€¦ šŸ˜œ

Edited by gemmerbal

Btw, a lot of the route would have been used for st6 of Epic, those interested can watch youtube and decide if it is worth the money