New garmin edge

Theunissa

So recently garmin had a very good deal on the edge 530/830 at Cyclelab. Now I see theres leaked hints of an 540/840

24 minutes ago, Theunissa said:

So recently garmin had a very good deal on the edge 530/830 at Cyclelab. Now I see theres leaked hints of an 540/840

New versions are most likely to be released towards the end of the year. 

Edited by warick_wrx

12 hours ago, Theunissa said:

I used the current discounts (Shopped at Sportsman Warehouse) to upgrade to a 530 from a (now dysfunctional) Edge 800.

Lovely little bike computer, but after the touch screen of the 800 I'm still adjusting to all the buttons.

57 minutes ago, 'Kaze Pete said:

I used the current discounts (Shopped at Sportsman Warehouse) to upgrade to a 530 from a (now dysfunctional) Edge 800.

Lovely little bike computer, but after the touch screen of the 800 I'm still adjusting to all the buttons.

I am so used to the buttons by now, I can not think of using anything else.

I am also keen to wait for the Edge 540, will hand the 530 to the wife.

I pulled the trigger on the 830 special at CL - Was he best deal i ever found locally - not even my favorite European online shops could compete

I wonder if I would be able to use a 540 for longer than a year before it breaks down on me, not yet managed that on a 520 and 530 🤷‍♂️

37 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

I wonder if I would be able to use a 540 for longer than a year before it breaks down on me, not yet managed that on a 520 and 530 🤷‍♂️

i had both the 520 and 530 and in within a years ownership they both of them packed up twice

1 hour ago, Furbz said:

i had both the 520 and 530 and in within a years ownership they both of them packed up twice

More or less the same for me, I had 3 520s in 2 years and Im on my 2nd 530 in 1 year.

Then a few days ago someone told me Garmin Edges are bulletproof...

Top 30 Spit Out Coffee Laughing GIFs | Find the best GIF on ...

That said I really like my 2nd Garmin 530, I hope it keeps going for a little while longer

Edited by Skubarra

OK, can somone plesae explain to me the "solar" gimmick. How long are you going to ride so that a fully charged battery won't last? No amateur weekend warrior that I know of.

Perhaps those Munga lunatics. 

Got a 530 just recently, so that'll have to last me until it dies.

I am not sure if I have had the best of luck with the Garmin edges, I have had a Edge 500, then a 810, then 520, now on a 530(Not going to mention the watches), none of them broke or gave up the ghost, I ended up selling them and then upgrading with NO hassles at all - Garmin Fan boy

1 hour ago, Dexter-morgan said:

I am not sure if I have had the best of luck with the Garmin edges, I have had a Edge 500, then a 810, then 520, now on a 530(Not going to mention the watches), none of them broke or gave up the ghost, I ended up selling them and then upgrading with NO hassles at all - Garmin Fan boy

Same here, my 800 works 100%, I also have a 205 ( use it for my 6 year old so he has a GPS when riding like dad), my 520 has no issues and the Fenix 3 is also still ticking over

1 hour ago, Dexter-morgan said:

I’m with you, never had any issues with my Garmin products, and really have had quite a few.

That said, my out front computer has been a wahoo elemnt bolt v1 for a few years, never skipped a beat, just so simple to use. I sold it to @TumeloM yesterday and have upgraded to the V2 which continues with the simplicity approach, with some color added.

Also never had any issues with my Garmins. 

Been riding for over 10 years now, with a 500 and a 520, and never had any issues.

Also had my Fenix 3 HR for years now and no issues.

Would be happy to upgrade to the 530, but will wait for the 540 to come out and then hopefully pick up a good deal.

3 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

OK, can somone plesae explain to me the "solar" gimmick. How long are you going to ride so that a fully charged battery won't last? No amateur weekend warrior that I know of.

Perhaps those Munga lunatics. 

Got a 530 just recently, so that'll have to last me until it dies.

i think there's 'charging-while-sleeping' mode, but honestly, I've not paid attention to that. 

Overall, battery life is stellar. Did a 5hr ride in the sun, and it went from (I assume) 100% down to 86%. During that time, the solar report said I got ~75min charging time from the sun, so about a 20% return during the ride. Not too shabby,