Bike Check: Christopher Blevin's Cape Epic Winning Specialized Epic EVO

News bot

We watched in awe as Matt Beers and Chris Blevins, riding as team Toyota-Specialized-NinetyOne, came back from an unfortunate Stage 1 to methodically annihilate an eight minute deficit, win five stages, and claim the 2023 Absa Cape Epic title. All in some of the toughest conditions in the history of the race. Here’s a closer […]

View full article

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I’ll fault with this build is the DT aero lite T head spokes. I hate those things. Maybe it’s ok for an Mtb but the T head tends to become a Y head over time and they’re expensive to replace l. I guess it’s Not an issue if you can drop 1/4 bar on a bicycle… Nice piece of kit though

No Dropper.............

Pros really know how to shred but i would want one just to descend down jeep tracks

EDIT: I see his riding an EVO, wonder what the weight saving would be if it was a normal SWorks Epic with a dropper vs the EVO without one.

Edited by Yyyy

13 minutes ago, Yyyy said:

No Dropper.............

Pros really know how to shred but i would want one just to descend down jeep tracks

EDIT: I see his riding an EVO, wonder what the weight saving would be if it was a normal SWorks Epic with a dropper vs the EVO without one.

The Evo is slightly lighter. No brass mass and extra brain hardware .

An axs dropper adds 500grs or thereabouts to the stock bike weight 

they are using the Evo because it’s the better bike for the ACE. 
Chris’s will use a new bike for the start of the XCO World Cup season 

Edited by DieselnDust

12 minutes ago, Yyyy said:

No Dropper.............

Typically Marathon bikes don't have a dropper. Built for min weight and max reliability.

Beers was running a dropper as was Nino and a host of other pros. I\'d say they should all have droppers.

2 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

Beers Chose to run a Dropper, Blevins Chose to not to have a dropper. Life is full of choices.

Let me guess - you choose not to run a  dropper 🙂 

I must have missed something. But when did brain shocks fall out of fashion. Or are they still there?

One thing looking at the bikes from the Epic, they all have long seatpost stiking out almost looks like they are rinding a size smaller than they should be. 

36 minutes ago, dave303e said:

I must have missed something. But when did brain shocks fall out of fashion. Or are they still there?

Thought about this but they probably just preferred the evo frame which is slightly more capable on the downs 

37 minutes ago, dave303e said:

The Epic Evo has been without a brain since the current iteration launched in 2020. The standard Epic of that generation still has the brain. 
https://bikehub.co.za/news/review-2021-specialized-s-works-epic-evo-r8142/
https://bikehub.co.za/news/review-2021-specialized-s-works-epic-r8141/

Isnt the Evo brainless?

Edited by babse
Matt answered that already...

3 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

The only thing I’ll fault with this build is the DT aero lite T head spokes. I hate those things. Maybe it’s ok for an Mtb but the T head tends to become a Y head over time and they’re expensive to replace l. I guess it’s Not an issue if you can drop 1/4 bar on a bicycle… Nice piece of kit though

Rather point out the good things about it. Life isn't about finding fault, even as small as a T head spoke.