Clipless vs Flats Advice

440MTB

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also ride both. Blue, red trails are leka with clips…also climbing. Jonkers, or even conties upper i just feel more confy in platforms.

Maybe it’s because i feel LESS connected to the bike and thus safer when it gets really rough. At jonkers I found that with clips…if you lose your momentum even once on a techy part and have to unclip…it is so so so difficult getting back in for various reasons. (for me at least).

My PB’s at jonkers are all with flats….even though i cant jump fir sh!t in them. Something about “heals down” just works there for me even though I dont feel as glued to the bike.

As already mentioned by others, the shoe-pedal interface is everything with flat pedals. There are combo’s that will give you less movement than the float on a cleat due to all the grip.

This is also all preference. Some people like a concave pedal (eg. DMR vault), some a convex one(eg. One up), some like tuning grip by adding/removing pins, others buy less grippy  shoes. it’s kinda like knowing what release tention you like in you clipless pedals, what float you like in your cleat, what stiffness you want in your shoes. 

Lastly, just a word of warning…the entry fee to riding flats is payable in blood, literally😅 id advise to go buy some cheap shin guards for the first few tries if you’ve never tried a shin destroyer. They are blood thirsty animals.

IMG_7428.jpeg

Edited by MORNE

Very helpful reply @MORNE , much appreciated man.

So upper Conties and Jonkers Red (Armageddon & Phoenix is all I've done), is exactly the reason why I'm considering making the change. Hahahaha.

Also, like you said, some of the gnarly technical/super steep climbs, when you lose momentum, it's an akward/annoying feeling when clipped in, and to get going again is near impossible in some instances, so I basically end up pushing the remaining section.

I grew up riding MTBs and the odd BMX, so bunnyhopping/jumping with flats should be okay, albeit, I feel much more confident jumping in clips.

But yeah, still not 100% sure what I want to do. 🤣 🙄

If you going to try flats, make sure they are decent flat pedals, not the stock bear traps that came with a bike, a decent pair of dedicated flat shoes would be ideal, but some skate shoes will get you going initially, but will wear out fast.

If you transitioning for clipless, you will hate flats for the first couple rides, your feet will come off, but keep at it for a good 10 rides before you give up.

I went flats to try improve my technique years ago and just never went back. Things like jumping and riding rock lines, you learn to use your suspension instead of just pulling up with your cleats.

Efficiency wise, you will loose minimal performance, especially if you are not a podium winner. I've done Wine2Whales on flats no issues.

Specialized 2Fo shoes are great and locally available, 5.10's are brilliant if you can find them and stick like s*@t to a decent set of pedals.

Don't waste your time with clipless pedals converted to flats, they will be a compromise and you will not get the performance you want.

Edited by Alouette3

13 hours ago, Theunissa said:

I cannot comment on cleats. But I can on flats have 5.3k on my flats. I bought decentish  flat pedals in 2017. First the. Used tekkies now I use safety boots. Best grip leather steel toes for when yy hit rocks and also the boots give me ankle support. ( u do fee the weight in tie beginning, but get used to it) I have seen people fall hard because they couldn't or unclipped a sec to late. I like flats because I can get of when the bike loses balance and I'm going down and I can also put my foot out when I I turn to fast and it wants to slide. I can change from ball of my foot to arch. I feel more planted this way. Amd yes your foot can slip of if you got bad grip ( never had that with the Boots with different decent grip on sole.) can't comment on cycling version flats. They to skinny for my hobbit feet

Can You Post some Pictures of your boots. I'm very Interested.

1 hour ago, dasilvarsa said:

Can You Post some Pictures of your boots. I'm very Interested.

These are interceptor ones from chamberlains. R600 the others I use for this and work is Bova hiker. But a bit heavier. Both feet feels good after. No hot foot. I went 3:17 today and 1000m climb and still going to do so tiling at home. Later. I'm tired legs tired but feet fine. 

IMG-20230501-WA0017.jpeg

IMG-20230501-WA0017.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Theunissa said:

These are interceptor ones from chamberlains. R600 the others I use for this and work is Bova hiker. But a bit heavier. Both feet feels good after. No hot foot. I went 3:17 today and 1000m climb and still going to do so tiling at home. Later. I'm tired legs tired but feet fine. 

IMG-20230501-WA0017.jpeg

IMG-20230501-WA0017.jpeg

Both have extra wide. So they fit nicely if you have extra wide feet. 

Enter Sam Hill....

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/flat-pedals-win-medals-and-3-more-things-we-learned-from-the-maydena-enduro-world-cup-2023.html

It all comes down to technique, what you want to achieve on the bike and, what people tend to forget, which is more fun for you.

Fun, ultimately, is why we enjoy riding bikes.

Have a set of flat pedals and a set of cleats. Work on technique, jumping, gnar, pedal timing etc in the flats and use the cleats when you want to train/go far BUT then concentrate on using the skills/technique you've learned from the flats while riding clipped in.

You will see a fantastic change in bike control.

There is no right answer, but riding flats will make you a better bike handler, regardless of whether you are clipped in or not

33 minutes ago, Theunissa said:

IMG-20230501-WA0017.jpeg

IMG-20230501-WA0017.jpeg

The Cycling Specific Flats are very Expensive and they don't Last Long.

Builders Got these for R439 (Will Give them A Go)

https://www.builders.co.za/Protective-Wear-%26-Safety/Safety-Footwear-%26-Gum-Boots/Safety-Shoes/Interceptor-Leather-Razer-Boot---Black-(Size-8)/p/000000000000671511#

Edited by dasilvarsa

5 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

The Cycling Specific Flats are very Expensive and they don't Last Long.

Builders Got these for R439 (Will Give them A Go)

https://www.builders.co.za/Protective-Wear-%26-Safety/Safety-Footwear-%26-Gum-Boots/Safety-Shoes/Interceptor-Leather-Razer-Boot---Black-(Size-8)/p/000000000000671511#

No that's the cheap ones you give guys on site get the up one. When I get home Wil take Pic. These cheaper ones are uncomfortable and get hot and stink. 

If you struggle with confidence due to being stuck in your cleats I highly recommend that you go the flats route. I use flats and cleats and swap regularly. Even though I have used cleats for years I am much more comfortable on technical terrain with flats. Cleats are faster, no doubt, and they save a lot of energy on downhills as you don't have to constantly shift your weight to keep your feet on the pedals. Flats are amazing for progression and everyone should start on flats. I want to slap bikeshops  sales people that fit cleats to the bikes of novice riders that can barely climb a curb, it is dangerous.

TLDR: buy proper pedals and proper flat shoes. You wil love it after adapting.

As a newbie who transitioned from flats to clipless but still enjoys flats - 

The Scott Comp BOA are amazing shoes and I easily walk on tiles etc in them without slipping or feeling like I’m walking in wooden clogs (I ride my bike to the shops) - so a great multipurpose clipless shoe (I have Shimano SPD MTB pedals) 

And the Marvel flat pedals are sadistically grippy (beware your shins!) and are super easy to ride on in any shoe - I have these on the second bike in our family and your foot is NOT going to slip off them - you have to physically lift it off. They’re cheap, too. 

You can get some very decent composite flat pedals these days, Ryder do a pair for about R 500.

The most important part of the package is the shoes, and this is what makes the experiment an expensive one. Skate shoes or hiking shoes are ok, but the stiffer, grippier soles and reinforced toe box of a proper riding shoe are what makes all the difference.

Etnies do a range of MTB shoes that are the best value I've seen to date.