Is the 2nd hand market dead?

Jacko18

3 hours ago, LazyTrailRider said:

An easy statement to make at the R15k level, not so easy at R150k…

The bigger the dog the bigger the appetite. If someone was willing to pay R150k for a bike then a 20-30% drop won't bother them either. 

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

Imo they should tread carefully…they are getting a rep. They should acknowledge a good deal when they see it and get it and THEN sell it for what they want…not undercut a 50% discount by another 30-40% lol. I guess they can do what they want though….and desperate ppl will still sell their bikes when cold hard cash is flaunted under their noses. Bit I have an opinion about BM’s methods and ethics and it is all on them…not me.the thing is…if you know you know…and you now know everything on their site was acquired at 30-40% under the listed price. So why pay what they want? Thats why they also do the ‘make an offer’ thing. If you offer them 20% under they are still in the green.

Don't even get me started. 

29 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

The bigger the dog the bigger the appetite. If someone was willing to pay R150k for a bike then a 20-30% drop won't bother them either. 

Agreed, but this example was a 50% drop.

17 minutes ago, Jacko18 said:

My thread made it to Saturday night.   I am well pleased.........

We can close it down quickly…just need to steer it in the direction of “comments on classifieds” haha. That phrase is listed somewhere on the server for auto detection and is the quickest way to get a thread locked 😂 

ps: try it out…make a topic..double dare. Guarantee it wont last 1 page refresh😉. Nigerian-prince-hot-babes-available-spam bot topics have lasted longer on here

IMG_7607.gif

Edited by MORNE

12 minutes ago, MORNE said:

We can close it down quickly…just need to steer it in the direction of “comments on classifieds” haha. That phrase is listed somewhere on the server for auto detection and is the quickest way to get a thread locked 😂 

ps: try it out…make a topic..double dare. Guarantee it wont last 1 page refresh😉. Nigerian-prince-hot-babes-available-spam bot topics have lasted longer on here

IMG_7607.gif

Love it haha

3 hours ago, MORNE said:

Imo they should tread carefully…they are getting a rep. They should acknowledge a good deal when they see it and get it and THEN sell it for what they want…not undercut a 50% discount by another 30-40% lol. I guess they can do what they want though….and desperate ppl will still sell their bikes when cold hard cash is flaunted under their noses. Bit I have an opinion about BM’s methods and ethics and it is all on them…not me.the thing is…if you know you know…and you now know everything on their site was acquired at 30-40% under the listed price. So why pay what they want? Thats why they also do the ‘make an offer’ thing. If you offer them 20% under they are still in the green.

image.png.79813755074a5a73883f27b97993fc67.png

This was my response to them.

image.png.2a2e99147f48dca2bbb043b268681493.png

I see now they offered me R70k for a fully kitted 2022 SWORKS EPICS XX1 AXS with AXS dropper.

They have still not responded or acknowledged my message.

I will never support them, even if they have a “steal” available. It comes at the cost of someone else’s expense. 

Edited by throttles
Attachment

The Second Hand Formal Dealers have to have a margin of 40-45% (66-80% markup) in order to pay for Premises, Staff, Interest on Loans, Transport Costs and to make a little profit in the end.

The Home Based Small Dealer does not have these Overhead Costs and can pay more for your bike.

3 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

The Second Hand Formal Dealers have to have a margin of 40-45% (66-80% markup) in order to pay for Premises, Staff, Interest on Loans, Transport Costs and to make a little profit in the end.

The Home Based Small Dealer does not have these Overhead Costs and can pay more for your bike.

Buy from me and make up to R100k profit?

why not become an official dealer of something or some sort?

it looks like their MO is at least 100% profit 😡

2 minutes ago, throttles said:

Buy from me and make up to R100k profit?

why not become an official dealer of something or some sort?

it looks like their MO is at least 100% profit 😡

Markup Yes, Sometimes (Buy for 15K Sell for 30K) (At the lower end of the market)

Not Profit Though because they have Overheads.

12 hours ago, throttles said:

image.png.79813755074a5a73883f27b97993fc67.png

This was my response to them.

image.png.2a2e99147f48dca2bbb043b268681493.png

I see now they offered me R70k for a fully kitted 2022 SWORKS EPICS XX1 AXS with AXS dropper.

They have still not responded or acknowledged my message.

I will never support them, even if they have a “steal” available. It comes at the cost of someone else’s expense. 

I agree and said the same to James from Bike Market, trying to steal my 2022 Cannondale Scalpel Si3 Carbon for R35000 when they are still selling for R89999... and it's not like he sells his stock for  less than private sellers!!!

Following this thread and it amazes  me the wealth of knowledge regarding prices and products that the general hub dweller have. I must admit  that I do browse the classifieds a lot , ( why , I don't know because I am not in the market for anything right  now) and I fail to see "good value"  compared  to the rest of the gang....what I have picked up is the 2 farr bikes with a huge price difference LOL okay back to the drawing board! !

6 minutes ago, Help.Me. said:

Following this thread and it amazes  me the wealth of knowledge regarding prices and products that the general hub dweller have. I must admit  that I do browse the classifieds a lot , ( why , I don't know because I am not in the market for anything right  now) and I fail to see "good value"  compared  to the rest of the gang....what I have picked up is the 2 farr bikes with a huge price difference LOL okay back to the drawing board! !

The one was mine….and i mean the price of the other one is what it cost to put together new. Yes there were differences but very similar spec…just slightly different applications. That bike being priced the way it was helped me sell mine im my opinion lol.

the person who bought it was very stoked…and i’m happy ot went to someone who will use it for its purpose. So i’m very happy he is happy.

Edited by MORNE

34 minutes ago, Help.Me. said:

You are with me on this one.  I don't see good value anymore.