Is the 2nd hand market dead?

Jacko18

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, GHOST FACE said:

When a new bike is bought from a dealer the 1st owner is effectively paying a portion towards the warrantee.  Numerous people get paid from the sale of a brand new bike. You can track that all the way back to the person in the factory cleaning the floor. 

When someone sells a 2nd hand bike to Joe Public no one else gets a cut of that, only the seller. 

No brand gets anything from the sale of 2nd hand bikes, besides warrantee claims.

So why should Joe Public, buying at a heavy reduced price, get the benefit of having a warrantee and expect some sort of remedy/replacement from the bicycle brand if/when something goes wrong on said discounted, used bike when he's not paying for it? 

When thinking, "should I buy new or 2nd hand?" the first "con" of buying 2nd hand is always the warrantee, no matter what you're buying (besides cars for some reason).

Your thinking applies to the concept of a "lifetime warranty".

TITAN RACING, and even most motor manufacturers, honour the "5-year" warranty irrespective of the 2nd or 3rd owner.

So when buying a 2 or 3 year old bike (with all the paperwork in place), this may well be a decider for some buyers.

As for a "lifetime warranty" .... much more of a marketing thing ..... though I am sure the odd Hubber will confirm a frame replacement after 10 or 15 years, but these are certainly the minority,

Edited by ChrisF

19 minutes ago, fusion01 said:

Just buy second hand and don't pay exorbitant prices for new. End of.

The problem is that second hand prices are also exorbitant for the most part. 

3 minutes ago, Jacko18 said:

The problem is that second hand prices are also exorbitant for the most part. 

Mountain biking is an expensive sport. End of.

On 5/12/2023 at 11:02 AM, Kom said:

Not sure if you use Autotrader at all, but they recently (last couple of months) have added a fair price label to their ads.

Dont know how they derive these labels, assume it’s a combination of blue book value and their own sales data which gives you an idea of how cars are priced independent of the sellers asking price, quite risky if you ask me.

I recently bought a secondhand car - did a lot of homework beforehand (and for my sins are now permanently plagued by car adds on my social media feed) so I felt I had a good feel for the range of asking prices for my class of vehicle in the market and the Autotrader fair price label was interesting... In my opinion that label was a bit erratic, a few decent deals were labeled as "high price" and visa versa. Would be interesting to know wat exactly the criteria is for that label (I would be p^&ed at Autotrader if I have an ad in there and they decide my asking price is "high" 😄)

• 3 weeks later...

An update on what the market's like out there. I sold two bikes in the last week. They were listed for a week.

1. 2022 Stumpjumper Evo - Cost R85k last year, current new price R89k. It's got a brand new Fox 36 and wheelset/tyres on it from the new Levo I bought, so it's close to as it was new. 300km on the clock, sold it for R60k.
  2. 2021 Levo SL - Stock except for an upgraded carbon bar and brand new Code RS levers (Guide R was stock). 360km on the clock, sold it for R86k.

To the armchair economists (there were some claims that used bikes have a ceiling of R40k 😉) - make of this what you will.

Edited by LazyTrailRider
Typo

buyers more savvy. have access to more information. possible that there are more and more second hand bikes coming to the market, but with lesser numbers of buying public - over supply will drive prices down. quite a few factors. could be something to do with the rise of E bikes too, older riders dumping their good quality bikes on the market. Referring here to MTB of course

56 minutes ago, LazyTrailRider said:

An update on what the market's like out there. I sold two bikes in the last week. They were listed for a week.

1. 2022 Stumpjumper Evo - Cost R85k last year, current new price R89k. It's got a brand new Fox 36 and wheelset/tyres on it from the new Levo I bought, so it's close to as it was new. 300km on the clock, sold it for R60k.
  2. 2021 Levo SL - Stock except for an upgraded carbon bar and brand new Code RS levers (Guide R was stock). 360km on the clock, sold it for R86k.

To the armchair economists (there were some claims that used bikes have a ceiling of R40k 😉) - make of this what you will.

The Big Bucks are all in the Western Cape

They pay 150 bucks for a beer with a smile, Same beer in Randburg is 40 Bucks.

21 minutes ago, Theunissa said:

I though this thread died

Can't keep a good thread dead I'm afraid. 

3 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

The Big Bucks are all in the Western Cape

They pay 150 bucks for a beer with a smile, Same beer in Randburg is 40 Bucks.

You can fill a growler for R40 in Randburg?