Trek Bike sizing L or XL

wapad

I'm looking at getting a Trek Top Fuel, I think I'm at  the edge of Large  with a saddle height set to 77cm, is there any benefit in getting a larger bike where you are considered more in the sweet spot, most try get a smaller bike because its lighter.

at 185cm-6'1" i think I fit on a large any thoughts on the LargerXL frame I'm assuming more comfort due to higher stack height etc. 

Your leg vs torso length could play a role in that decision.
Tall seatpost, longer stem and a stack of spacers on a large could give you a similar position to an XL.
Or you could be super flexible and have a massive saddle to bar drop.

The weight difference between the two wouldn't really be that much, but the geometry may be a factor. Smaller bike would probably have a shorter wheelbase and lower stand over, so might feel more nimble. Bigger bike would feel more stable.

If you are buying from a dealer, they are usually equipped to do a good bike set-up and help you with that decision

@ 1.85m go for XL. I am 1.79, with longer leg length and literrally on the borderline with my Fuel EX 2022 model size Large. So go for the XL and not the L. 

I have just been through the same thing, Trek too. I am 186 cm so on the top end of a large (Supercaliber). Ended up going with the XL, only one ride so far but it seems like the correct decision. 

I'm 186cm with a saddle height of 79,5cm. I bought a Large Trek Top-Fuel frame second hand and I've always been fitted right on the cut line between a Large and X Large on various brands.

I've had to fit quite a long seatpost and had to make some adjustments with the cockpit but got a good comfy fit on the bike. I think I would have been able to get a similar position on the XL.  

I think you'll be able to make either work for you is what I am trying to say, but try to get the shop to fit you and advise.

3 hours ago, splat said:

....If you are buying from a dealer, they are usually equipped to do a good bike set-up and help you with that decision

Let's HOPE he is NOT buying for the dealer in Paarl ... who sells what he has on the floor, rather than taking a moment to make sure his clients gets the correct size bike. :eek:

EDIT - some of thee most expensive school fees I paid in this sport .... and not some weekend casual, nope the owner of the store worked me over like that  .....

Edited by ChrisF

How much are you spending on the bike?

For a fraction of the cost, a bike fit will give your the starting point to decide on frame size. Tell the fitter you want to buy a new bike and let them measure you up before you buy.

Based on your measurements, you can then calculate your optimal setup once you have the bike, instead of having to buy extra components afterwards. Some examples were given above, like stem length and bar width. Stack height, seat post length, type of saddle and more will make a big difference if you are primed for comfort.

Unless you’re racing for a living, comfort and power should be the preferred two corners of the power-aero-comfort triangle.

The Bike fit things sounds like great idea, I've had a few but in my experience the fit becomes a bit subjective from the saddle to the bars, they all mostly get the pedal stroke right, but i'm yet to meet someone that can say ... with your measurements you should buy such and such frame size in said brand. 

Listening to the points its probably gonna be an XL, I dont want to much drop  and I dont want to prop the bars up with spacers  

Thanks for the pointers 

Just bear in mind the new Top Fuels are long bikes. Both in reach and effective top tube length. Try and ride both sizes before you buy

I have a height of 1,86m/6,2 feet. Trust me an XL will be a better fit if you have a long inseam.

I bought a cannondale and although it's not a Trek with a 60mm stem and 760mm wide bars its an incredible comfortable ride.

Your saddle to handlebar drop will be less and that alone is reason enough.