Building up a bike

Ncayi

Morning Hubbers

I want to swap over my road groupset onto a different frame. So, I am looking for some recommendations for a reliable service provider in and around JHB.

Although price is not the primary focus, it's still something I would like to keep relatively low. So far, I have received 2 informal quotes for just labour from 3 different service providers (Dunkeld, CL and Northcliff). I would appreciate any additional recommendations or "endorsements" of the bike shops I have already approached.

Thanks in advance.

Quality shops include Sprocket and Jack in Parkhurst, Bicycle service Company in Fourways and Dagley's Bikes in Rand Park Ridge?

23 minutes ago, Ozzie NL said:

Quality shops include Sprocket and Jack in Parkhurst, Bicycle service Company in Fourways and Dagley's Bikes in Rand Park Ridge?

Thanks, reached out to them and got some figures, but BMC is a no-go according to my wallet.

23 minutes ago, eddy said:

Go to Giant Jo'burg in Greenside. Best for this sort of thing.

They meet my price requirements perfectly so I will just do some more due diligence and take it from there. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Ncayi said:

Thanks, reached out to them and got some figures, but BMC is a no-go according to my wallet.

They meet my price requirements perfectly so I will just do some more due diligence and take it from there. Thanks.

BMC???

30 minutes ago, Ozzie NL said:

BMC???

I meant Bicycle Service Company but for some reason, I messed up the abbreviation. They charge like R1200 for a strip and build.

10 minutes ago, Ncayi said:

I meant Bicycle Service Company but for some reason, I messed up the abbreviation. They charge like R1200 for a strip and build.

I assume that is if you do not buy a replacement frame from them?

Do it yourself. 

It is very rewarding. Lots of YouTube vids. 

What ever you can't do (don't have the right tool etc), can go to a bike shop. 

I just did one recently, took about an hour. I didn't have a tool for the BB. Bike shop removed it and tightened it on the new frame. Cost me R50

3 hours ago, Ozzie NL said:

I assume that is if you do not buy a replacement frame from them?

After the hearing the figure I smoothly withdrew from the conversation without asking any further questions.

2 hours ago, Eugene said:

Do it yourself. 

It is very rewarding. Lots of YouTube vids. 

What ever you can't do (don't have the right tool etc), can go to a bike shop. 

I just did one recently, took about an hour. I didn't have a tool for the BB. Bike shop removed it and tightened it on the new frame. Cost me R50

I would royally mess it up and be back here asking about how to repair a cracked frame in no time.

1 hour ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Bring a six pack of "flying fish" and I will do it for you whilst you learn :D

Pressed lemon or apple?

Edited by Ncayi

2 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

It is mainly for my wife but now that you mention it, I am keen to try the apple 😁

I'll send you a DM in a bit.

3 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

This is your answer!

13 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Now that's an offer one cannot refuse.

I also like the idea of doing things myself but as OP also alluded to, it can be dangerous. LOL (without a knowledgeable person alongside)

The other issue sometimes experienced is not having the appropriate tools.

Enjoy experience Ncayi.

Props to RobertWhitehead.!!