Daily Commute: is an E-bike worth it?

jchiledred

Hi All  im new to daily cycling i have a a fixed speed finnis  540. my issue is I'm really struggling on my daily commute 90% of which is on a steep uphill. firstly i know that a fixed speed bike isnt going to make this commute any easier  but as someone who is extremely unfit and overweight(130kg) i want to make sure that I can also enjoy my morning commute with out arriving at work in dire need of a shower. so i have been contemplating getting an E-bike for the ride and also to possibly to start doing some trails on weekends. I come here with a few questions:

1) is it actually worth the purchase? will it make that big of a difference on the daily commute or am i just better off sucking it up for the ride?

2)should i convert my current bike or just get a new one?

3) is there anywhere in and around joburg that i could rent or a hire a bike to try it out for myself to see if it is actually worth it ? 

Welcome to the Bike Hub @jchiledred.

I'm also a big boy like yourself and I ride a normal mtb. Of late, hills are a curse. And I rode with a bunch of cyclists the last two weekends with many e-bikes in the mix. Apart from dropping me like a lead balloon, they are quick up any hill at what seems to me to be min effort. Just for that reason alone I don't think it will be a waste. Using it for the morning commute will definitely make your ride less strenuous and keep you fresh while building fitness into your regime.

Riding a single speed up any hill is going to cause profuse perspiring, for me at least, so there is the added benefit of not having to suffer any longer. Maybe just make sure you can charge your bike for every commute. You don't want to get caught mid-ride with no juice in the battery anymore. E-bikes are not known for being light.

I can't comment on points 2 and 3 though. 

2 hours ago, jchiledred said:

Hi All  im new to daily cycling i have a a fixed speed finnis  540. my issue is I'm really struggling on my daily commute 90% of which is on a steep uphill. firstly i know that a fixed speed bike isnt going to make this commute any easier  but as someone who is extremely unfit and overweight(130kg) i want to make sure that I can also enjoy my morning commute with out arriving at work in dire need of a shower. so i have been contemplating getting an E-bike for the ride and also to possibly to start doing some trails on weekends. I come here with a few questions:

1) is it actually worth the purchase? will it make that big of a difference on the daily commute or am i just better off sucking it up for the ride?

3) is there anywhere in and around joburg that i could rent or a hire a bike to try it out for myself to see if it is actually worth it ? 

Firstly I think you're doing the right thing.

You didn't mention the length of your ride, but if it's steep then it is going to be a mission on a fixie, (and hardwork home too). if that is the only bike you have access to, then it is the best one. I am not familiar with the brand.

My suggestions:

*get a bit cycling fit first, before trying the commute. so evenings/weekends.

*get a cycling mate. be it from friends/family/work/neighbourhood or even here. you are going to go on quite a journey and having someone to bounce ideas off and celebrate gains(losses) will be invaluable.

It will make an enormous difference and I would say it's worth the purchase as you are gonna hate your single speed for the commute and will in all likelihood revert back to the car

As far as I am aware it is not worth it to convert a normal bike to e-bike but let's see whar the Hub oracle says

Not sure about renting but you could probably organise a test rig from some of the shops for a couple of days

I am a woman but also on the plus side of life and I think you are a helluva brave dude doing the commute on a fixie! Good job man, even if you’ve only managed a few times so far. Never stop starting. 

Instead of an e-bike I would probably look at something like the bike I have, which is a 1x10 hybrid. I got on it at 41 having only sat on a Makro bike a couple of times since high school - and I flew. Days 1 and 2, did the hill in 1st. Day 3 found myself in 2nd. And so it progressed until I found myself doing the hill in 7th or even 8th sometimes. After a year I can pedal the same hill in 10th with barely a puff. 

The nice thing about the hybrid for commuting is that you can still venture off the tar a bit (I can actually do a lot with mine) but you have the low rolling resistance of the gravel tyres, and you are pretty upright, which makes looking behind you a lot easier. I can easily sit up and just pedal and pedal and barely even feel like I’m on a bike. It’s really easy. I’ve never felt like I was fighting the bike. It always feels like the bike and I are on the journey together.  

Of course fitness isn’t linear and you’ll have your good and bad days. But starting now in winter is a lot easier than starting in summer! Do some evening or weekend rides and get your sweat on. Use those opportunities to push yourself. Then Monday will feel like a walk in the park. 

I’ve attached a pic of my bike with the Pirelli tyres I fitted, but otherwise it’s how I bought it from Decathlon. The fork is yuck so it now has a Fox 32 26” air fork which works a charm. The bike cost R14k new and I spent probably R5k on upgrading tyres, saddle, fork, etc. Though there was nothing wrong with the tyres it came with (zero punctures in 2000km) but I was doing more technical mountain stuff e.g Mabalingwe Lion Man, Magalies Monster, etc. 

I’ve just bought a second bike (MTB) because I love the mountains and the (real) mountains (ie sharp rock, vertical descents on loose rock and sand) are too much for this hybrid bike. But I’m definitely hanging onto this bike for casual riding and touring as it is such a pleasure. Horses for courses. I didn’t know I’d enjoy cycling so much until I bought the hybrid. I hated every second I spent on the Makro bike. 

There is some PT to an e-bike ie charging it etc. A flat e-bike is a heavy, heavy beast! And a cheap e-bike would be a terrible purchase. So you’ll need to do your homework there. 

But I do feel that my bike is the absolute perfect commuter and fitness bike, with just a tiny bit of spice for when you’re feeling spicy 😁

And then if you really feel you’re getting into a groove, you can ask one of the bike builders on the Hub to build you something to your spec, for a LOT less than you’d pay for a new bike. 

Addendum: I bought the hybrid after my disc replacements in my neck, but before my disc replacement in my lower back. I had gained a lot of weight due to being incapable of exercising properly with my lower back pain. I still carry some of that weight but I am so much fitter, and have a lot more confidence in myself now riding my racey carbon MTB. I wouldn’t have been comfortable on my new bike without all the hours spent on the hybrid. 

IMG_2634.jpeg.5d8fa648672f65af54129dd0476bc867.jpegIMG_4879.jpeg.139caac5b0c643c34047067925c1eaa1.jpegIMG_1213.jpeg.2b51950688c822bbd8e9d9f33183f205.jpegIMG_8943.jpeg.4710aee7635f3c059354034c7bc4f62f.jpeg

Oh and to answer your question about renting - you can rent from Bike Market - I believe any bike they have on their floor. They’re the only place I know of that rents. They’re in Kramerview, Sandton side. 

WELCOME :thumbup:

Having done a couple of kilometers on e-bikes, herewith my thoughts on your questions -

1) YES.  It will open a new world of possibilities for you.

2) Chilled Squirrel - https://chilled-squirrel-electric-bikes.business.site/?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=referral - are the go-to team for ebike conversions.  And half way through their questions you will begin to realise that it works for some bikes, not all .....

I used a Titan eTransporter for a 12km commute with about 100m of climbing. I weigh over 90kg and the bike carried me up a 5% incline with ease (~15km/h). Intensity was equivalent to a walk. Not a stroll, mind you, a walk - my HR almost reached zone 2 sometimes. I sweat a lot and with the ebike I did not, even in summer. Cruising speed on the flats is about 28 km/h. Range was about 40km so I just recharged it every evening, Mine also had a removable battery so theoretically you can get a spare to avoid being stuck. I would highly recommend that you consider a Titan eBike.

Mine was a commuter (build for the Seapoint promenade), but they do have a nice hardtail option (Charge E 2) that can do some light mountain biking.

Some more detailed comments and reviews in the thread below.

Edited by JayLow
added details on Charge ebike

6 minutes ago, JayLow said:

I used a Titan eTransporter for a 12km commute with about 100m of climbing. I weigh over 90kg and the bike carried me up a 5% incline with ease (~15km/h). Intensity was equivalent to a walk. Not a stroll, mind you, a walk - my HR almost reached zone 2 sometimes. I sweat a lot and with the ebike I did not, even in summer. Cruising speed on the flats is about 28 km/h. Range was about 40km so I just recharged it every evening, Mine also had a removable battery so theoretically you can get a spare to avoid being stuck. I would highly recommend that you consider a Titan eBike.

Mine was a commuter (build for the Seapoint promenade), but they do have a nice hardtail option (Charge E 2) that can do some light mountain biking.

Some more detailed comments and reviews in the thread below.

And with an ebike you have the option use a LOT of assist in the morning, and to turn down the assist if you want to get a hard workout in the afternoon.

This is my typical approach when I get the opportunity to commute.

The answer is definitely yes on all accounts except purchasing an ebike.  Don't do it, they are overpriced for what you can do yourself for your purpose.

If you you can wield a spanner it is CONSIDERABLY cheaper to convert your bike.  I did it and would NEVER go the new route.

I also would not convert a Makro bike though.  

3 hours ago, Sepia said:

Makro bike

What is this thing you speak of?

I've never known makro to sell "bikes". From what I understand they only sell Bicycle Shaped Objects which are to be avoided at all costs, unless you enjoy frustration and visits to the ER.

Good on you for trying to commute on a single speed. 

My recommendation would be to try a 1x10 or 1x11 setup first. 

I'm my mind at least, a mild-moderate workout before work is one of the best parts of commuting. Another reason I'm not running for an ebike right now is simplicity. All I want to do is the once a week tyre pressure check and chain lube and off I am. 

If you aren't enjoying the route as it is just too strenuous, I can see the point of an ebike. I'd go for a rear hub motor setup by someone like chilled squirrel. That way you can still pedal without the extra wear on your drivetrain hy the motor. 

All the best

Oh ja. High viz jacket, front and rear lights and a little mirror is an absolute life saver. 

15 hours ago, Sepia said:

The answer is definitely yes on all accounts except purchasing an ebike.  Don't do it, they are overpriced for what you can do yourself for your purpose.

If you you can wield a spanner it is CONSIDERABLY cheaper to convert your bike.  I did it and would NEVER go the new route.

I also would not convert a Makro bike though.  

im not opposed at all to do doing the convert myself just unsure if my bike is even worth the convert or where to start looking for parts, if you have any tips i would be thankful

On 5/29/2023 at 3:55 PM, Ozzie NL said:

It will make an enormous difference and I would say it's worth the purchase as you are gonna hate your single speed for the commute and will in all likelihood revert back to the car

As far as I am aware it is not worth it to convert a normal bike to e-bike but let's see whar the Hub oracle says

Not sure about renting but you could probably organise a test rig from some of the shops for a couple of days

1. Yes, WELL worth the purchase. Way better than sweating in a gym (IMO), using ‘car time’ to get fit AND have fun, but not on a Fixie! At least not YOUR route!

2. For me it was VERY worth it to convert my existing bike:

a) it had sentimental value (2 or 3 Epics, + Sani2C, etc…)

b) 26’er’s became a ‘hard-to-sell’ item, yet commute brilliantly…

c) my bike was an Alu S-Works, or rather, it had great Groupo / running gear, that I would have got Pennies for…

d) Chilled Squirreldid an AFFORDABLE conversion…

…and e) when I ride it hard (when I am not not commuting), I get a serious workout!

3. Unsure, but the Hub will know…!

Best money you could spend!

One final thought; I-F your bike could take a flip/flop hub, then you could have an EASY gear for the 90% uphill commute TO work, then swap wheel around 180-degrees, and use HARDER gear home? Chain length difference accommodated by long drop-outs? Dunno! Never had a Fixie! :)

Edited by Zebra
Spelling & spelling!

If having an e-bike is the one factor that makes the difference between you getting out and cycle regularly vs staying on the couch because you hate that steep uphill and don't feel like sucking it up then its already worth it 100 times over.

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

If having an e-bike is the one factor that makes the difference between you getting out and cycle regularly vs staying on the couch because you hate that steep uphill and don't feel like sucking it up then its already worth it 100 times over.

^ what he said