Monton cycling gear

I've seen the Monton brand pop up on FB and was wondering about the quality. Anybody recently bought some of their gear?

I bought the aero socks having recently decided that as a middle aged middle pack wannabe I am now in the zone of marginal gains.

They nice socks even if they fall about 2 inches short of the uci rule. If the aero part of the sock was longer I'd be ordering more pairs.

I've been told if I get a matching skin suit there will be mirth

Yes I've been using their R1650 range bib shorts for some time now. Great quality and value for money. Went ahead and bought another two bibs last night from them. They recently opened a store in Green Point which is advantageous. 

4 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I bought the aero socks having recently decided that as a middle aged middle pack wannabe I am now in the zone of marginal gains.

They nice socks even if they fall about 2 inches short of the uci rule. If the aero part of the sock was longer I'd be ordering more pairs.

I've been told if I get a matching skin suit there will be mirth

I've seen your legs.... it's not the socks that are too short...

It’s Chinese junk, just well marketed. Prices are decent, but the quality is iffy. For fractionally more money, you can get much higher quality that will also last a lot longer.

Bought three pairs of their bibs at Argus expo last year to give them a try. They were fine for the first couple of rides, but ended up throwing them all out after about 6 months. At least my ciovita bibs last me 2 years before the padding is shot and the Lycra is seethrough. And the ciovita is very similar price if you buy on special.

4 pairs of bibs, first of which i've been using for just over 2 years.

recently bit the bullet and got a thermal jersey and gilet, combo set me back 2500 which hurt at the time, but actually looks a bargain in comparison.

quality and fit are superb

6 hours ago, Rudolf Lamprecht said:

I've seen the Monton brand pop up on FB and was wondering about the quality. Anybody recently bought some of their gear?

They had a stand at the Argus expo and i was pretty impressed with the quality just based on feel.

Couple of things though. Their kit sizing looked very tight and small designed for people with no boep at all. I would definitely suggest trying them on first. If not possible then, just based on looks i would size up.

Secondly, they’re not cheap at all. The quality looked great but again if I’m buying Chinese then im going into the purchase with the idea that im going to save money. They were basically the same price as a lot of the local brands. Again, i dont wanna say dont buy because the quality looked fantastic so I’ll leave that for you to decide.

Off topic ....

Times are tough.

Our economy needs our support, now more than ever.

We have so many local manufacturers.  Range of prices and products to fill every need.

Rapid Sports in Cape Town CBD

Ciovota, think in Woodstock

Racepace Sportsware in Diepriver.

6 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Off topic ....

Times are tough.

We have so many local manufacturers.  Range of prices and products to fill every need.

Vye Cycling - Maitland 

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Off topic
Their quality is decent and they are a alternative option ton consider.

But many local options to consider, and not to knock Monton... Don't have any experience with them, would rather consider supporting local as well. Especially since it is better priced in some cases.

On 6/3/2023 at 3:33 AM, ChrisF said:

Off topic ....

Times are tough.

Without getting into tooooo much of a debate, the imported goods are hit a whack of an import duty. Add that to the cost of the actual finished item, import costs, couriers/transport, customs blah blah stuff etc, and you end up at R x xxx for a pair of bibs. 

Then you get local goods at a fraction more expensive with (arguable) the same (long) term quality.

Who's ripping who here?

Yes, fabric material is expensive but it doesnt attract the same import duties made up garments do, so why then is local is lekker isnt necessarily the more cost effective option?

16 minutes ago, 117 said:

Without getting into tooooo much of a debate, the imported goods are hit a whack of an import duty. Add that to the cost of the actual finished item, import costs, couriers/transport, customs blah blah stuff etc, and you end up at R x xxx for a pair of bibs. 

Then you get local goods at a fraction more expensive with (arguable) the same (long) term quality.

Who's ripping who here?

Yes, fabric material is expensive but it doesnt attract the same import duties made up garments do, so why then is local is lekker isnt necessarily the more cost effective option?

Because a lot of the Local is Lekker brands re actually manufactured in the east as well, and get whacked with all the duties. The stuff that really is made locally, is normally done at much lower quantities, so they don’t have the economies of scale of a lot of the big brands.

But there are also a few great deals on locally made stuff… just not bibs in my experience, the European brands bibs are just on a different level in terms of quality. But gloves, tops, jackets, socks etc etc etc… I try support local as far as possible.

I’ve bought their tops ( long and short sleeve ) and their jackets and love their designs and colors - never had an issue with the quality . Have not tried their bibs but also have not tried any other SA brands for bibs ( only ever use Assos  - they pricey but they last forever )