CIOVITA Launches new Luxurious Vale and Odyssey Merino Jackets

News bot

9 hours ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

The term eco-friendly doesn't mean anything to me. Metrics are endless. I'd still rather have a more natural fibre that lasts a long time and was sourced from well-paid farmers if all other variables are the same. 

Amen. This whole green movement is a farce. Most eco friendly products emit more carbon through their supply chain. Good quality products that last are better for the environment and if sourced locally that’s even better for us. People must get off this green sheeple wagon. We’re a developing nation that needs industry and cheap energy. Stop shooting ourselves in the feet by wanting to be Europe. We’re in Africa so let’s get to be best in Africa first.

Edited by DieselnDust

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Amen. This whole green movement is a farce. Most eco friendly products emit more carbon through their supply chain. Good quality products that last are better for the environment and if sources locally that’s enter for us. People must get off this green sheeple wagon

But who is going to save the sheep?🐑🐏

Guys i am taking the piss i enjoy a big fat steak as much as the next guy🥩

I do however think that environmentally conscious and merino wool are a bit of a contradiction and the media are playing on words to target a market segment.

22 minutes ago, mikkelz said:

But is Merino aerodynamic? 😜

Will the UCI ban it? will it fall under the same eco friendly rule as the backup vehicles.

Edited by Barry

So we likely send out merino to Uruguay or china for processing. Long sea voyage both ways. That’s a lot of fuel oil burned since I highly doubt they’re using a sail powered ship or one of those funky new hydrogen bombs everyone want to rave about. 

if the merino was processed in SA it would be pretty eco2 friendly (eco being ecology and economy) 

And it’s lekker retro so perfect for the gravel posers at Vida can’t-stands-here.

merino was the material of choice in the 60s and 70’s before Spandex and Du Pont made stretchy breathable synthetic fibre materials cost effective and comfortable enough for use by sports people 

I'm still confused by the Merino wool being less sustainable/eco than fabric extruded from crude oil.

Animals grow fur, fur is cut, animals grow more fur.... vs the crude oil process. The 'fake' fabric is also not extruded/mercerized or woven in SA, so it involves long sea journeys too.

Or am I missing something? 

I am simple.

@LazyTrailRider back to your comment about people riding in rubbish kit, I made 2 x full zip short sleeve cycle/sportsing jerseys out of blanket fleece. It cost me 3 hours, some pattern/sewing skills, 25zar for a zip and 200zar for fabric.

These have kept me warm for Freedom challenge, Multiple adventure races in the wet, snow, altitude, snow etc.... The fabric is so junk and fake it retains almost no moisture and does an ok job blocking out the wind.

I made them 11 years ago and they are still going strong.

Sometimes cheap and junk does work. 

6 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I'm still confused by the Merino wool being less sustainable/eco than fabric extruded from crude oil.

Animals grow fur, fur is cut, animals grow more fur.... vs the crude oil process. The 'fake' fabric is also not extruded/mercerized or woven in SA, so it involves long sea journeys too.

I am simple.

@LazyTrailRider back to your comment about people riding in rubbish kit, I made 2 x full zip short sleeve cycle/sportsing jerseys out of blanket fleece. It cost me 3 hours, some pattern/sewing skills, 25zar for a zip and 200zar for fabric.

These have kept me warm for Freedom challenge, Multiple adventure races in the wet, snow, altitude, snow etc.... The fabric is so junk and fake it retains almost no moisture and does an ok job blocking out the wind.

Now would be the perfect time to make a few more. Could potentially flip them at 3k a pop.

12 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Totally, I didn’t say it doesn’t do the job. Of course it does, and that’s completely fine.

But - and here’s my point - there is without any doubt a place for premium/luxury/high-end/upmarket/[insert other marketing term here] stuff. Very often, it just feels nicer. It’s like the nappa leather option in a german automobile, it’s just nicer. Does it do anything different to the fabric or synthetic seats in a cheaper car? Of course not, but it’s nice, and if you can afford it, I don’t blame you for buying it.

That’s what I’m talking about here, people are saying R3k or R5k or whatever is a rip-off and something cheaper is exactly the same. It’s not.

Edited by LazyTrailRider
Typo

4 minutes ago, LazyTrailRider said:

Totally, I didn’t say it doesn’t do the job. Of course it does, and that’s completely fine.

But - and here’s my point - there is without any doubt a place for premium/luxury/high-end/upmarket/[insert other marketing term here] stuff. Very often, it just feels nicer. It’s like the nappa leather option in a german automobile, it’s just nicer. Does it do anything different to the fabric or synthetic seats in a cheaper car? Of course not, but it’s nice, and if you can afford it, I don’t blame you for buying it.

That’s what I’m talking about here, people are saying R3k or R5k or whatever is a rip-off and something cheaper is exactly the same. It’s not.

I get that.

There is a place for premium products because we are taught to believe we need them. There are often cheap options that do the same or similar job.

It's the whole 'luxury vs necessity' which, if you grow up on a certain side of the tracks, is quite different to those whose necessity is a luxury.

I wouldn't pay 3000zar for a cycling jersey. Mostly because I don't have to as I have 2 tops I made that are tried and tested in far more telling conditions than I get on any day in Cape Town.

I'm part of the 'it's an unnecessary market that rich/wealthy/image people feel is necessary. 

Much like overweight, only semi fit people buying aero wheels and light things chasing marginal gains. The industry and society has sold them something they don't need, but want because they are told they want it and believe that it's better.

Diamonds? Gold? Camps Bay?

All absolutely unnecessary but all lusted after because society, pecking order, status and luxury

51 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I get that.

There is a place for premium products because we are taught to believe we need them. There are often cheap options that do the same or similar job.

It's the whole 'luxury vs necessity' which, if you grow up on a certain side of the tracks, is quite different to those whose necessity is a luxury.

I wouldn't pay 3000zar for a cycling jersey. Mostly because I don't have to as I have 2 tops I made that are tried and tested in far more telling conditions than I get on any day in Cape Town.

I'm part of the 'it's an unnecessary market that rich/wealthy/image people feel is necessary. 

Much like overweight, only semi fit people buying aero wheels and light things chasing marginal gains. The industry and society has sold them something they don't need, but want because they are told they want it and believe that it's better.

Diamonds? Gold? Camps Bay?

All absolutely unnecessary but all lusted after because society, pecking order, status and luxury

I had a Marxist sociology lecturer who used to mark my papers with a du pont pen.

True though. Materialism drives the value system hard these days.

I will say though I had three medium priced jackets for the rainy 36one and I was uncomfortably cold.

Is there a market for Chewbacca fur gilets?

16 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I had a Marxist sociology lecturer who used to mark my papers with a du pont pen.

True though. Materialism drives the value system hard these days.

I will say though I had three medium priced jackets for the rainy 36one and I was uncomfortably cold.

Is there a market for Chewbacca fur gilets?

He can get Ouma and Wifie in the garage pumping them out. But they need to be Vegan. 

On 7/8/2023 at 12:02 PM, Jewbacca said:

I am simple.

Not missing anything. I don’t understand the merino cynicism. It’s a great material that we could beneficiate locally more cost effectively than sending it to Uruguay and then buying it back as yarn or rolls of material. If we were serious about doing thing efficiently then we’d be doing things more like Patagonia and not like every other fabric spinner out there. I’d still take merino over polyester anyday

your garment was cheap because you repurposed material. Some would say recycled.

back to the ciovita garment, it’s made of sustainable eco friendly material and can be repaired by ciovita. So I buy into what they’re selling here. 

it creates local jobs for people and sheep ( other than making shwarmas), it can have a long lifecycle and its generating export revenue for us. All wins as far as I can tell. 

I just don’t jump on low carbon bandwagons because by snd large that is a crock of horse manure. 
If ee want to clean up our act plant more trees and let the ecosystem do it s job instead of trying to improve it with more hydrocarbon derived materials. We’ll never get away from oil for the a loooong time but we don’t have to use it for absolutely everything. 

Edited by DieselnDust

10 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Not missing anything. I don’t understand the merino cynicism. It’s a great material that unwise we could beneficiate locally more cost effectively than sending it to Uruguay and then buying it back as yarn or rolls of material. If we were serious about doing thing efficiently then we’d be doing things more like Patagonia and not like every other fabric spinner out there. I’d still take merino over polyester anyday

your garment was cheap because you repurposed material. Some would say recycled.

back to the ciovita garment, it’s made of sustainable eco friendly material and can be repaired by ciovita. So I buy into what they’re selling here. 

it creates local jobs for people and sheep ( other than making shwarmas), it can have a long lifecycle and its generating export revenue for us. All wins as far as I can tell. 

I just don’t jump on low carbon bandwagons because by snd large that is a crock of horse manure. 
If ee want to clean up our act plant more trees and let the ecosystem do it s job instead of trying to improve it with more hydrocarbon derived materials. We’ll never get away from oil for the a loooong time but we don’t have to use it for absolutely everything. 

I'm inclined to agree about the carbon footprint story ... As a concept it was developed by oil companies to create a narrative that would pass responsibility for the crisis to individuals who would then be able to use their products ethically. Which is a bit like saying there's a safe level of nicotine addiction.

Anyway, I like the ciovita stuff and if I had the disposable cash I would add their new jacket to the cupboard for the transbaviaans. I think they make nice stuff overall...sometimes the stitching is not of the highest quality but the garments fit well and are comfortable.

7 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

.Diamonds? Gold? Camps Bay?

As a Muizenberg resident, how do you feel about the HOUT BAY folk?
Asking for a friend…. 😉

😆

@Jewbacca

like you, I too feel I am on the thrifty side of thrifty…

….riding in 2004/2005 cycling tops….

….not falling myself, for a fair bit of marketing ‘hype’….

but buying into what TRULY is a useful innovation/advancement….

WHY am thrifty, I hear you say?

…have been around long enough that there WAS ONLY 1x

….and then TEN SPEED was invented/launched…., so 2x….

...and then the TRIPLE CRANK was launched - so 3x, whoo hoo…!

…and then COMPACT crank was launched….

.….and then 1x was ‘launched’, the new best thing….

Hmnn, where have I seen THAT before…!

(written in jest, but with a dash of truth…)😉

Yours, in thriftiness!
Chris

Edited by Zebra
Spelling