MTB Tyre pressure

Dylanmtb

Hi all, 

Ex roadie here. 

What is the recommended Tyre pressure for mountain biking? I'm on 29 inch wheels,tubeless . Pretty rocky terrain where I ride.

I'm 110kgs on a good day.

I found a online calculator that mentions I should have 2.3 bar on the front and 2.4 on the bike.

Look forward to everyone's responses

24 minutes ago, Dylanmtb said:

Hi all, 

Ex roadie here. 

What is the recommended Tyre pressure for mountain biking? I'm on 29 inch wheels,tubeless . Pretty rocky terrain where I ride.

I found a online calculator that mentions I should have 2.3 bar on the front and 2.4 on the bike.

Sounds about right. Would go 2.5 at the back if you riding fast in rocky terrain or doing drop offs. 

You can probably get away with a bit less if running an insert, 2.3 Front and 2.4 Back sounds about right. 

I am 105kg and ride fairly hard, and make questionable line choices at the best of times, I am running 1.5 in front and 1.7 at the back, Pirelli Scorpion enduro casing tyres no inserts, and it works really well, for me at least....

I weigh 110kg and ride on Maxxis 2,35's with 26mm internal width rims. I can ride as low as 1.1 and 1.6 but trying to get used to 1.8 and 2.5

Edited by love2fly

15 hours ago, Murrob said:

Sounds a bit high to me, but there are a bunch of variables to take into account, ID of your rim, your weight, bike weight, tire dimensions etc.

The sram app helps to narrow it down 

https://axs.sram.com/guides/tire/pressure

That is a great tool because it shows how many variables there are in the equation.

The tyre casing makes quite a big difference, and I find it hard to interpret some of the marketing mambo about suppleness vs toughness vs puncture protection etc.

125kg here. 

1.8 front and 2.0 back with vittoria airliner in back. Volumes 2.35-2.5x 29er. I ride rocky stuff occasionally irresponsibility fast. Tyre casings are wtb tough casings. So like spez blckdmnd or maxxis dd. 

At the end of the day, find what works best for you. I used to ride my front at 1.1 and am still trying to get used to the rattle effect at about 1.5 to 1.8... I also always struggle for front grip in loose sandy situations but I guess that's par for the course

It depends on your weight, riding discipline, terrain and tyre volume. You want enough compliance without risking damaging the rims or tyres rolling sideways too much. I think it's going to be personal and you'll need to experiment to find the right pressure for your setup.

Less weight = less psi needed
Rougher terrain = more psi needed (so you don't damage rims)
Tyre inserts = less psi needed
Higher volume tyres = less psi needed

On 7/7/2023 at 5:08 PM, Dylanmtb said:

Hi all, 

Ex roadie here. 

What trail types do you ride? What style of riding do you do? I.e. marathon, enduro, jumps? I'm 125 kg on a full suspension with 36mm inner width rims. I ride around 1.9 bar back and 1.7 bar up front on 2.50" tyres with no inserts on variable trails including stock standard single track, enduro tech and flow lines with intermediate jumps. My tyres last, my rims are good and no spokes have broken in 2 years of riding on these wheels.

The scientific way to work it out is to decrease the tyre pressure until you can feel the rim hit the ground over a jump or rocky section, then take this pressure and add 0.2bar. 

19 minutes ago, dardo82 said:

The scientific way to work it out is to decrease the tyre pressure until you can feel the rim hit the ground over a jump or rocky section, then take this pressure and add 0.2bar. 

Tighten the bolt until it breaks, then half a turn back method? Definitely works, but might cost you a tyre or rim in the process.

You did not mention your tyre width, mine are very narrow, 2.1 and 2.15. With just over 90kg I have not had any problems Just under 2 bar at the back, 1.8 at the front. Feels quite rough so might eeven be able to drop it a bit. But I am only doing light trails/gravel.

Disclaimer, mostly roadie, so add the required amount of salt to the answer.

30 minutes ago, dardo82 said:

Do you mean the NON-Scientific, Trial and Error way ?
Sounds expensive...