[Event] Old Hermon Gravel Ride

Abby.F

2 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

I keep hearing people say this but to me last year felt worse. I dunno if it’s just the memory of last years Old Hermon that has left me scarred completely, but I felt like last year it rained even harder and the proof was basically all the damage in Franschhoek and other areas.

Your memory is sort of there ....:P

Yea sure ... July 2024 has the highest monthly rainfall in many years in the Western Cape - at 365mm for a single month

So why did 2023 "feel worse" ?

By June 2023 we had a year to date total of 562mm !!  Significantly higher than many years before.

The real "problem" of 2023 was the severe storms, followed by a few dry weeks then another severe storm and again and again ....

The one coffee shop in Franschhoek had barely opened after renovations from the previous storm when it was flooded again.

Even with the very wet July, the years rainfall to end July is only 558mm, lagging behind the 665mm of the same period in 2023.

For good measure 2023 also had the wettest September in many years at 204mm.

At 986mm for the year 2023 was one of the wettest years in a long while.

2024 .... just one record wet month .... thankfully, as we were heading to a drought by the end on June.

Looking at the numbers, and remembering the sunny weekends up to June, we have had a stunning winter for sports.  Barely 6 wet weekends and we complain .... 

DISCLAIMER - These numbers apply to the Northern Suburbs.  Would be interesting to see similar numbers for the various areas.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and looks like another wet Sunday as well - fingers crossed it moves though - cannot deal with just the indoor trainer! 

Got myself a new ride and I have only been able to ride it once!

At least I am getting in some rides on the IDT but it's not quite the same hey!

9 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

and looks like another wet Sunday as well - fingers crossed it moves though - cannot deal with just the indoor trainer! 

Got myself a new ride and I have only been able to ride it once!

At least I am getting in some rides on the IDT but it's not quite the same hey!

In the last 24 hours Saturday's forecast has moved back by about 4 hours ....

Would be excellent if it moves on another couple of hours.

Special park run that I want to do.

Zwift data shows that most South African riders logging in during the month of August are all from Slapstad! 🤭 

9 hours ago, betaboy said:

Zwift data shows that most South African riders logging in during the month of August are all from Slapstad! 🤭 

how is it up there in joburg ? maybe I should relocate in august every year 😅

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

July in France, August in JHB, then back to CT... Sjoe!

3 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

July in France, August in JHB, then back to CT... Sjoe!

We need to start a rotation system, but how many wives would accept these nee terms? 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

We don’t have the cleanest air… but smog makes you stronger! 😂😂😂

19 minutes ago, betaboy said:

We don’t have the cleanest air… but smog makes you stronger! 😂😂😂

Doing nationals in Feb was rough. Less oxygen + dirty air!

1 hour ago, bleedToWin said:

Doing nationals in Feb was rough. Less oxygen + dirty air!

thats why we love the "august" and blitz through there like we're World Tour champions (Until we hit the climbs) , altitude training all year round, and then clean fresh oxygen rich air for the fun ride world champs

30 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

thats why we love the "august" and blitz through there like we're World Tour champions (Until we hit the climbs) , altitude training all year round, and then clean fresh oxygen rich air for the fun ride world champs

Also you get the carbon monoxide protocol in training... 🤫

6 hours ago, betaboy said:

We need to start a rotation system, but how many wives would accept these nee terms? 😂😂😂

From August 2020 to October 2023 we basically did a monthly rotation between JHB and Somerset West. Two weeks in JHB then two weeks in Somerset. We had flexibility so I could plan to miss the worst weather in both places based on long term forecasts. Now I am permanently in Cape Town so I have to accept whatever comes .

We had bikes and kit  in both places so there was minimal cycling downtime.

Edited by I FLY