Brake judder on Titan Racing Valerian Empire

Iandahamilton

I have a new ish Titan Valarian with Reynolds AR58 wheels. After a few rides I started to notice brake judder. I have slackened the discs, clocked and retorqued them but still have the problem. If I apply brakes and move the wheel there is a little bit of movement but can’t work out where it is coming from. Any one had a similar issue?

Had a judder issue with the 105 disc brakes on my bike. Pads were a bit glazed, so I sanded them to clean them up, roughened up the discs and then did a proper bedding in procedure. Been judder free since then

Edited by thebob

13 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Have you tried replacing the rotors? 

Hi, not yet. They are running true and are in good condition. As a last resort will probably have to try. I wanted to go up a size so it won’t be the end of the world.

Check if the centre lockring it torqued correctly also use a the paper thin washer on the lockring if washer is worn then replace it ( similar to washer on cassette). There is a hack on GCN for placing a small piece of velcro at the end of the pad to stop pad movement. 

images (1).jpeg

Edited by Barry

Just now, Iandahamilton said:

Hi, not yet. They are running true and are in good condition. As a last resort will probably have to try. I wanted to go up a size so it won’t be the end of the world.

13 hours ago, thebob said:

Had a judder issue with the 105 disc brakes on my bike. Pads were a bit glazed, so I sanded them to clean them up, roughened up the discs and then did a proper bedding in procedure. Been judder free since then

Not yet, I ordered pads pads but they sent the wrong ones. As soon as they send the correct ones I will scuff up the disc and redo bed in.

Its the movement in the hub that is really concerning me though.

17 minutes ago, Iandahamilton said:

Its the movement in the hub that is really concerning me though.

Can you post a video of this? A little movement of the pads when the brakes are locked is normal, but the hub should be solid as a rock

Is it a visible wobble in the disc when you turn/look at it on a stand or are you sure you arent just feeling that subtle  ‘grrrrrrr’ of the pads against the holes in the disc when you apply them? It is more pronounced on rotors with huge cutouts. 
Recently had someone ask me this again as they came from rim brakes, and the sensation of the pads wearing against the slotted rotors when applied was a odd feeling to them lol. I feel it more on Shimano brakes/rotors and organic pads than say my formula curas with metalics on my mtbs.

edit: the top one will be more pronounced than the bottom one in my experience as an example. Anyway, might not even be that but just another thing to consider just in case😅

IMG_8768.jpeg

IMG_8769.jpeg

Edited by MORNE

Just make sure your headset and wheel axle are also correct and do not have any play. But by the sounds of it the other posts have more than likely focused on the solution. Buy new pads and see what happens. No need to throw the old ones away until tested. With life the better quality pads you buy the less issues you have. Please post your solution when you find it.

23 hours ago, thebob said:

Can you post a video of this? A little movement of the pads when the brakes are locked is normal, but the hub should be solid as a rock

Not easy to show in video but I think you can see here the relative motion.

On 8/13/2023 at 6:20 AM, Barry said:

Check if the centre lockring it torqued correctly also use a the paper thin washer on the lockring if washer is worn then replace it ( similar to washer on cassette). There is a hack on GCN for placing a small piece of velcro at the end of the pad to stop pad movement. 

images (1).jpeg

Thanks Barry, they are torqued down correctly but will check the washer

On 8/13/2023 at 9:04 AM, Lynskey said:

Just make sure your headset and wheel axle are also correct and do not have any play. But by the sounds of it the other posts have more than likely focused on the solution. Buy new pads and see what happens. No need to throw the old ones away until tested. With life the better quality pads you buy the less issues you have. Please post your solution when you find it.

Yep checked the headset and adjusted the pre-load. Have the new pads on order but heading over seas shortly so it will have to wait.

On 8/13/2023 at 9:01 AM, MORNE said:

Is it a visible wobble in the disc when you turn/look at it on a stand or are you sure you arent just feeling that subtle  ‘grrrrrrr’ of the pads against the holes in the disc when you apply them? It is more pronounced on rotors with huge cutouts. 
Recently had someone ask me this again as they came from rim brakes, and the sensation of the pads wearing against the slotted rotors when applied was a odd feeling to them lol. I feel it more on Shimano brakes/rotors and organic pads than say my formula curas with metalics on my mtbs.

edit: the top one will be more pronounced than the bottom one in my experience as an example. Anyway, might not even be that but just another thing to consider just in case😅

IMG_8768.jpeg

IMG_8769.jpeg

Never ridden rims brakes in anger. I too come from mountain bikes but have alway had 6 bolt. It’s not like anything I have felt on the mtb. I will strip the hubs and check everything out. Might have to resort to taking it to the shop. It’s strange it on both front and back though.

40 minutes ago, Iandahamilton said:

Not easy to show in video but I think you can see here the relative motion.

IMG_8433.mov IMG_8432.mov

That looks normal to me. One of the drawbacks of the centrelock system is that the discs can rock on the hubs a tiny bit

If this is a new'ish bike, is this issue also new ?
Shouldn't the bike shop be involved in this discussion ?

I have bad brake shudder on rear of carbon hardtail GT MTB. Rotors are attached with 6 bolts. It started when I changed the brakes from new Deore to older SLX. Changing the rear rotor (which was a bit bent) made no difference. The one thing that did help was putting new brake pads, after the new pads wore in a bit, the shudder started again, bad as ever. It happens when I brake hard, which is a lot on the MTB.

I am changing the brakes now, got some newer style XT, hoping it will fix.