MTB Grips

Furbz

So the grips on my MTB are toast.

on my last ride i noticed my hands and wrists ached afterwards and on checking the grips have pretty much collapsed.

looking for something to help with some decent padding as i always struggle with my wrists (broke both in my youth)

are ESI grips still the best?

i like foam grips but am open to other options

13 minutes ago, Furbz said:

on my last ride i noticed my hands and wrists ached afterwards and on checking the grips have pretty much collapsed.

looking for something to help with some decent padding as i always struggle with my wrists (broke both in my youth)

Getting older is a bummer. I am in the category where things start to hurt that never did before. My wrists also gave me problems with my stock Scott Spark grips. I found that the diameter was too small for my hands and I solved to issue by wrapping road bike tape over the existing Scott grips. That little increase in diameter made my life on the bike and on my wrists much more bearable.

20 minutes ago, StevieG said:

Check out the Burgtec range. I use them for Enduro and they're the business. Nice and soft, thick rubber grips, vibration killers.

+1 for Burgtec lock-ons

Use to have ESI grips, but they're terrible when they get wet

Edited by Jako De Wet

If you’re battling with wrist pain etc do look into Ergon as they are designed specifically to assist with wrist / hand issues. 

Burgtec are great but only come in straight profiles. 

ESI also good, try the different profile ones like the Fit series as these can help align your wrist to the bars better. 

Thicker might provide a bit more damping but makes it harder to hold the bars when your hands are tired.  

Also consider basics like bike fit (too much weight on your hands?) and simple things like bar roll and brake lever / shifter angle which might be hurting your wrists. 

I am fiddling with the pressure in my shock vs rebound speed.
Too hard and too fast on the rebound makes for an uncomfortable experience.

(I am currently on ESI Chunky grips)

1 hour ago, Furbz said:

I used ESI grips for years and recently tried the Wolf Tooth Grip Cam Ergonomic Fat Paw -> https://bicyclegarage.co.za/products/wolf-tooth-grip-cam-ergonomic-fat-paw.

It has all the elements I loved from the ESI grips and the ergonomic shape adds extra comfort. Well worth checking out.

1 hour ago, splat said:

I am fiddling with the pressure in my shock vs rebound speed.
Too hard and too fast on the rebound makes for an uncomfortable experience.

(I am currently on ESI Chunky grips)

I use ESI Extra Chunky  (I have big bear claws)

But for comfort over corrugations the shocks AND the tyre pressures are critical !!  Helps to have tractor tyres on the ebike that can be run at lower pressures.

To me, Ergon or such like grips that have a "fin" that supports the palm is a definite winner. (A winner hands down..😆)

Straight tube like grips, no matter how thick, aren't for me. No wrist support ends up with sore/fatigued hands.

Very happy with my Ergon GA3 grips. Has soft little wings that support the palm, much better than earlier versions of Ergon grips I tried. ESI still very good too tho. 

Also have the ergonomic grips on my hard tail and dual suspension bikes.  And they work very well and are very comfy.  On one of my N+1 bikes I have grip shift, thus forced to go with the tube-like grips.  Any idea if these ergo grips are available for grip shift?

so a question on these grips with the palm padding thing. Both the wife and my eldest daughter have them on their Titans. Looks like they were standard. But on both the grip twists, meaning the pad keeps twisting down, so you have to keep twisting it back.

Is this just because these are budget style grips, or do even the better quality ones do this.

And can you stop this from happening ?

2 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

The grips that I have has a clamping device that screws onto the end of the  bar. This prevents them from twisting.

5 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

so a question on these grips with the palm padding thing. Both the wife and my eldest daughter have them on their Titans. Looks like they were standard. But on both the grip twists, meaning the pad keeps twisting down, so you have to keep twisting it back.

Is this just because these are budget style grips, or do even the better quality ones do this.

Are they slip on rubber grips?  These are generally pretty budget and can stretch, albeit they are comfortable enough. 
Slip them off, place one or two narrow strips of insulation tape on the bars, douse bars and grips with hairspray and pop the grips on. Leave to dry overnight, sorted. 

5 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

The ergo grips on my hardtail roadie does not twist ... good few thousand km later.