Rear Tyre Options needed

Dirt Tracker

RIP Semi Slicks. 

So it seems most importers / manufacturers have backed off from the Slaughter / E*13 / Rock Razor type rubber I'm left looking for a new 29'r rear tyre option. Hoping for some suggestions here as those kind of tyres are all I've been running for the past 5+ years. 

• Clearance in my frame is only big enough for a 2.35 so that is a starting point 
• Minion SS won't work as the 2.3 version squares off too much on the 35mm internal rims I'm running 
• Pretty much Tokai / Jonkers / Conties and mostly reasonable dry rocky trail / enduro stuff
• Reasonably fast rolling and grippy when lent over would be best combo
• Running a Bontrager XR5 up front, looks like it could be fun if it doesn't squirm too much
• Not too bothered about matchy match front and back

What thoughts? 

2 hours ago, Dirt Tracker said:

RIP Semi Slicks. 

So it seems most importers / manufacturers have backed off from the Slaughter / E*13 / Rock Razor type rubber I'm left looking for a new 29'r rear tyre option. Hoping for some suggestions here as those kind of tyres are all I've been running for the past 5+ years. 

• Clearance in my frame is only big enough for a 2.35 so that is a starting point 
• Minion SS won't work as the 2.3 version squares off too much on the 35mm internal rims I'm running 
• Pretty much Tokai / Jonkers / Conties and mostly reasonable dry rocky trail / enduro stuff
• Running a Bontrager XR5 up front, looks like it could be fun if it doesn't squirm too much

What thoughts? 

You Need a Wider Frame ! 

Otherwise you are basically limited to XC Tyres Take Your Pick.

8 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

You Need a Wider Frame ! 

Otherwise you are basically limited to XC Tyres Take Your Pick.

Cost effective! 🤣 not willing to get rid of a great frame for that. Actually there are lots of options out there to 2.35 (and I've used some of the normal ones), what I was after was some 'love this' and recommendations to find 'the one' in the number of options out there. 

I know I'm probably not going to get a SS any time soon but there is everything from a DHR to Pirelli to WTB to Vitorria and... and... and... Talking of XC I did run a Ardent Race as a rear in an enduro event and it was a pretty fun ride.

Edited by Dirt Tracker

2 hours ago, Dirt Tracker said:

RIP Semi Slicks. 

What thoughts? 

I really liked the Maxxis Dissector at the back, but that may be to wide being a 2.4, maybe an Aggressor? Those come in 2.3, never ridden one but apparently they are good as a rear tyre.

Other end is a 2.3 DHR II, but I am not sure if that really meets your "fast rolling" requirements 

Also, any of those 2.3ish tyres are going to be really square running on 35mm inner width rims, but Jeff Kendal Weed says that makes for awesome manuals.... 🤷

39 minutes ago, Dirt Tracker said:

Cost effective! 🤣 not willing to get rid of a great frame for that. Actually there are lots of options out there to 2.35 (and I've used some of the normal ones), what I was after was some 'love this' and recommendations to find 'the one' in the number of options out there. 

I know I'm probably not going to get a SS any time soon but there is everything from a DHR to Pirelli to WTB to Vitorria and... and... and... Talking of XC I did run a Ardent Race as a rear in an enduro event and it was a pretty fun ride.

Pirelli Trail starts at 2.4 and DH 2.5 

Have you considered a Narrower Rim ?

@MORNE Should Know What's the Best Plan

Edited by dasilvarsa

23 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

maybe an Aggressor? Those come in 2.3, never ridden one but apparently they are good as a rear tyre.

Also, any of those 2.3ish tyres are going to be really square running on 35mm inner width rims, but Jeff Kendal Weed says that makes for awesome manuals.... 🤷

Yeah, that was why I was keen on the E*13 as the designer said they were designed not to square off on 35 inners and still roll fast. Aggressor could be a worth a look. Cheers. 

3 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

Pirelli Trail starts at 2.4 and DH 2.5 

Have you considered a Narrower Rim ?

Might look around but as the wheels set is essentially a brand new set of spank rims on hopes the idea of cutting out the rim and rebuilding isn't appealing. Am looking for a rear that might be thinner but my inner twitch couldn't live without matchy matchy looking wheels and hubs. Different tyre makes  front and back would be a bit freaky but I can live with it. 😄

3 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Spez make some really good rear tires in 2.3/2,35

I have a 2.4 Butcher 2 and a 2.3 Purgatory on the ROS9. They work pretty well tbh

I agree, most Spez tyres have been great. The Slaughter was my go to but they've stopped now which has made me sad and slightly grumpy at the big S. The Purg' Control seems to be their idea to fill the Slaughter space (or that's what they told me when I was looking about last week). 

8 minutes ago, Dirt Tracker said:

I agree, most Spez tyres have been great. The Slaughter was my go to but they've stopped now which has made me sad and slightly grumpy at the big S. The Purg' Control seems to be their idea to fill the Slaughter space (or that's what they told me when I was looking about last week). 

just did the specialized find in store thing for the slaughter (29x2.3) and action cycles in PE came up and for R300! might be the last one in SA

7 minutes ago, Jono said:

just did the specialized find in store thing for the slaughter (29x2.3) and action cycles in PE came up and for R300! might be the last one in SA

Yeah, I did that about 2 months ago and saw they were on special and was hoping to buy up as many as they had  but they don't have stock and it's a system error that means people keep hounding them for the last ones in SA. I actually went and phoned each Spez store in SA just to check. 

Have found a E*13 SS DH in Germany (spoke to Get Stoked here and they said no SS in SA and they might be able to order in a few months if in stock), but it's looking like R2k+ landed. 😢

6 minutes ago, Dirt Tracker said:

Yeah, I did that about 2 months ago and saw they were on special and was hoping to buy up as many as they had  but they don't have stock and it's a system error that means people keep hounding them for the last ones in SA. I actually went and phoned each Spez store in SA just to check. 

Have found a E*13 SS DH in Germany (spoke to Get Stoked here and they said no SS in SA and they might be able to order in a few months if in stock), but it's looking like R2k+ landed. 😢

Geez that's some commitment!

Another option might be bike 24 with aramex https://www.bike24.com/p2397417.html also going to be a bit pricey though

5 minutes ago, Jono said:

Geez that's some commitment!

Another option might be bike 24 with aramex https://www.bike24.com/p2397417.html also going to be a bit pricey though

Thanks for that. Missed that they had some. Appreciate that!

I'll check them out. I know it'll be about R700 shipping with Aramex and then fees / customs. So around the R2K mark. 

I do know the East Rand and Stellenbosch has some 650b DH Slaughters in stock if anyone needs. 

Edited by Dirt Tracker

high roller's come in 2.3 and seem to be available locally 

I used to run the originals front and rear back in the day, loved them

Edited by Jono
sentimental back in the day addition