Possible scammer

King of the downhill

Hi Guys...Just had an experience with a possible scammer. I had a "Wanted ad" on Bike Hub for a Mavic Ksyrium Sl front wheel.

This guy (Pic attached) Whatsapp's me and says he got my number from a friend called Jason...His name is Daniel and he has a wheel for me.

Sends me pics of wheelset...First offer I make of R500 he accepts and then says I can have the set for R1000..  Just one request though.. Can I do an instant payment...

And here is where the alarm bells start ringing... Also...The wheels are  of the newer Ksyrium SL Pro range...easily worth about R8k.  When I suggested to him that I would send someone to collect and pay cash...that was it...guy dissappears....no further responses from him. So obviously a SCAMMER..

Just doing my duty to warn my fellow Hubbers.

aaaaScammer.jpg

15 minutes ago, King of the downhill said:

Hi Guys...Just had an experience with a possible scammer. I had a "Wanted ad" on Bike Hub for a Mavic Ksyrium Sl front wheel.

This guy (Pic attached) Whatsapp's me and says he got my number from a friend called Jason...His name is Daniel and he has a wheel for me.

Sends me pics of wheelset...First offer I make of R500 he accepts and then says I can have the set for R1000..  Just one request though.. Can I do an instant payment...

And here is where the alarm bells start ringing... Also...The wheels are  of the newer Ksyrium SL Pro range...easily worth about R8k.  When I suggested to him that I would send someone to collect and pay cash...that was it...guy dissappears....no further responses from him. So obviously a SCAMMER..

aaaaScammer.jpg

The obvious willingness to send a pic of their ID is such a dead give away 

I had one send me pictures of an ad I was actually looking at while he was on the phone 🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, King of the downhill said:

aaaaScammer.jpg

I presume it is this same guy with this number.

IMG-20231016-WA0001.jpg

21 minutes ago, King of the downhill said:

That's the number yes..079 095 2981...I just received a message from Bikehub admin saying that they 

have banned him from Bikehub.

Good👍 trying to sell a Campagnolo Record groupset for 2k😂🤣

7 hours ago, Barry said:

I presume it is this same guy with this number.

IMG-20231016-WA0001.jpg

This guy tried me as well the other day for a wanted add I have. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/16/2023 at 9:09 AM, King of the downhill said:

aaaaScammer.jpg

Yaaa I just got contacted by this scammer.. replying to my wanted add.. had a funny feeling and knew I’d seen this image of him somewhere.! 

This face is very familiar - not in person, but linked to some other sort of completely unrelated scam. 

I want to say Jaco, but maybe I’m wrong.