[Event] Ronde Van Riebeek

Adriaan Theron

5 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

Last forecast, looks like warm kit to start

image.png.dc54f725985b5c96372e13e2c5531ef3.png

Last year we had similar temperatures. Not gonna lie, it was p*ss cold in the morning. Like absolutely freezing. Didn’t also help that the 50miler then got delayed which meant we had to wait in the freezing cold there. Must have ridden around the velodrome probably 50 times to keep warm.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Kom said:

I'm seeing a smooth riding line on the left edge 😆 

What are the tyre selection opinions? Slush demands thinner in my opinion, potentially even a 38c.

38C on the back, 43C on the front - both Pathfinders (aka, as wide as I can on each, even if it looks weird 🤣)

Edited by MongooseMan

7 minutes ago, Kom said:

I'm seeing a smooth riding line on the left edge 😆 

What are the tyre selection opinions? Slush demands thinner in my opinion, potentially even a 38c.

It hasn’t rained that much to worry too much about mud clearance. I’d stick with the wider tyres.

15 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

Love these comments around tyre selection! 

I just have one set and my 45's will have to do! 😀

First gravel event - hoping for a good day out!

If you like these chats, you'll *love* Dylan Johnson's video on his bike setup for Unbound:

When in doubt, pathfinders 42s are always a good option. It's all I have left anyways, and I can't think of a better option for tomorrow, maybe 47s considering how corrugated it's looking on the video, but tbh the 42s on my wide rims look about the same as the challenge 45s I had previously, I should be good.

Ja, more worried about cold, went out this morning it was freezing this side already. I'm almost considering the two bottles / no hydration pack strategy 🤣 But hydration pack + 1 bottle is probably safer

Edited by Jbr

1 minute ago, Jbr said:

When in doubt, pathfinders 42s are always a good option. It's all I have left anyways, and I can't think of a better option for tomorrow, maybe 47s considering how corrugated it's looking on the video, but tbh the 42s on my wide rims look about the same as the challenge 45s I had previously, I should be good.

Ja, more worried about cold, went out this morning it was freezing this side already. I'm almost considering the two bottles / no hydration pack strategy 🤣 But hydration pack + 1 bottle is probably safer

Yeah, going pack, more to avoid dealing with mud-nozzles than anything else 🙈

Also changed my kit plan based on freezing this morning, and my Garmin tells me it was only 9C here, nevermind the 5C we'll probably get tomorrow...

1 hour ago, Bub Marley said:

It hasn’t rained that much to worry too much about mud clearance. I’d stick with the wider tyres.

That sand doesnt stick at all, so mud clearance not so much the issue as just finding grip IMO - 2.5-3bar 38c over 2bar 47c could be interesting.

1 hour ago, MongooseMan said:

38C on the back, 43C on the front - both Pathfinders (aka, as wide as I can on each, even if it looks weird 🤣)

Mullet setup bru - except business in the back, party in the front 😂

34 minutes ago, Jbr said:

I'm almost considering the two bottles / no hydration pack strategy 🤣 But hydration pack + 1 bottle is probably safer

Id argue that a hydration pack is mandatory for gravel/MTB. I find it impossible to keep up with hydration intake from bottles vs the ease of just taking sips from an USWE/CamelBak.

Then mud on bottle spout, and potential for getting ill - totally a slam dunk. Hell id honestly even remove the bottle cages and use that space for a frame bag for nutrition, spares, portable speaker etc 😝

16 minutes ago, Kom said:

Id argue that a hydration pack is mandatory for gravel/MTB. I find it impossible to keep up with hydration intake from bottles vs the ease of just taking sips from an USWE/CamelBak.

Then mud on bottle spout, and potential for getting ill - totally a slam dunk. Hell id honestly even remove the bottle cages and use that space for a frame bag for nutrition, spares, portable speaker etc 😝

If you are racing then yes I’d agree. But if you not racing, then I’d rather have bottles and not deal with a pack on my back for multiple hours.

Hydration is not so much of a problem when it's 5°. As long as you can get in the carbs/h. But yeah, on gravel and MTB, the hydration pack really makes sense in the fact that you can take sips easily without taking your hands off the bars, when sometimes the courses don't allow you to do it. But for the shorter races with many fast rolling sections like Old Hermon, no hydration pack is fine!

My problem with cold weather gear at a race is always shedding and stashing later into the race...

4 minutes ago, Jbr said:

But for the shorter races with many fast rolling sections like Old Hermon, no hydration pack is fine!

i dunno - i recall alot of cow-pies through the course last year - hygiene is underestimated.

Side Note - lesson from Gallows - label/tag your Uswe packs people!

1 minute ago, Kom said:

Side Note - lesson from Gallows - label/tag your Uswe packs people!

or just own a shitty camelbak that nobody is going to steal 🤣