Good few Cobras at Tokai today

Dirt Tracker

1 hour ago, tubed said:

Great post DJR, helpful info.

I'd agree that most dogs seem to have an innate sense to back off when it comes to a snake, which is why they are such wonderful animals, (the dogs), because if you are alert to their behaviour they are likely to have smelled the snake long before you see it. Terriers and Jrussels unfortunately have another innate sense and they are most often bitten.

I found it helpful to have a chat to your vet about how to handle a bitten dog, they will tell you if they have anti venom in stock and who else does in the area (they share) or else they will tell you where to go after hours to save time.

In summary - puffy bite - unlikely antivenom - treat symptoms (swelling and pain). Cobra - depends on size of dog - small dogs, limited time left. Bigger dogs - keep them breathing is most essential - get to an open equipped vet as soon as possible.

(this seems to suggest anti venom shortage has been resolved: https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2023-11-17-sa-well-stocked-with-antivenom-say-experts-as-snakebite-season-looms/)

Not sure I agree,  I stay in HBay and there a quite lot of dogs nailed every snake season, all kinds.

Terriers especially obviously. 

Cobra is a problem even for big dogs if you don't get them to a respirator quickly. 

And you left off Boomslang,  good luck finding that antivenom ! 68 hospitals later I eventually found some for my dog. Contrary to popular belief they can bite them/you anywhere. My boy was bitten square in the center of his chest, the same month he was bitten by a large speckled cobra! It was a VERY expensive month 🤐

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, McD23 said:

Not sure I agree,  I stay in HBay and there a quite lot of dogs nailed every snake season, all kinds.

Terriers especially obviously. 

Cobra is a problem even for big dogs if you don't get them to a respirator quickly. 

And you left off Boomslang,  good luck finding that antivenom ! 68 hospitals later I eventually found some for my dog. Contrary to popular belief they can bite them/you anywhere. My boy was bitten square in the center of his chest, the same month he was bitten by a large speckled cobra! It was a VERY expensive month 🤐

Yikes, I can imagine that must have cost. I probably use the same vets you do in the valley. You are right, ventilator is best for any chance with large dog - so Blue Cross or Panorama have been recommended, especially after hrs.

Anyone looking to snake proof their dog please DM me and I'll put you on to the dog trainer. She's not doing any more till Jan.

Some feedback. It was sort of a mixed bag. My Staffy X parked right next to the boa and has totally disinterested. We should probably have wrapped the boa in vienas to get her more interested. My Mali had a strong reaction so that's good. Whether there was any value in the whole event I can't really say. But I'd much rather have done it than not.

2 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

Anyone looking to snake proof their dog please DM me and I'll put you on to the dog trainer. She's not doing any more till Jan.

Some feedback. It was sort of a mixed bag. My Staffy X parked right next to the boa and has totally disinterested. We should probably have wrapped the boa in vienas to get her more interested. My Mali had a strong reaction so that's good. Whether there was any value in the whole event I can't really say. But I'd much rather have done it than not.

See, I told you to ask for a try-out yourself..........would have made for a MUCH more fun day out........for us all ! 😁

Edited by DJR

Aaaaand .....

Was on the look out on Saturday on my tar travels, starting out along Bottelary.

Sunday I enjoyed some of the Tygerberg trails .... even stopped for a few photos ... WATCHING where I stepped to take the photos !!

Just heard from a friend that was on Bottelary on Sunday .... crowd of cyclists around a molslang ....

36 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Aaaaand .....

Was on the look out on Saturday on my tar travels, starting out along Bottelary.

Sunday I enjoyed some of the Tygerberg trails .... even stopped for a few photos ... WATCHING where I stepped to take the photos !!

Just heard from a friend that was on Bottelary on Sunday .... crowd of cyclists around a molslang ....

Molslang will take a chunk of flesh for a souvenir. Don't think because it isn't venomous therefor it must be harmless.

37 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

even stopped for a few photos ... WATCHING where I stepped to take the photos !!

I ALWAYS look where I am placing my foot before I stop. You never know what's lying under the bush where you stop.

45 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I ALWAYS look where I am placing my foot before I stop. You never know what's lying under the bush where you stop.

Indeed, especially when out hiking. The ground now is perfect camouflage for snakes, especially with all the extra vegetation growth after the rains.

Edited by Eddy Gordo

My youngest is doing a research project in the Kalahari (on Pangolin, so scaly, but mammal). One of his co-researchers is doing a PhD project on Pufadders. She catches them and when she has a few, she gets the vet in. They anaethetise them and implant a tracker that also records all kinds of biometrics. That way she can find the snake again at the end of her project to get her expensive trackers back. Badass woman! (Likes heavy metal too)

The young D sometimes help her track her subjects. He says it is unnerving to have the tracker go bananas, bleeping like all hel is breaking loose because the snake is within a metre from you, and be totally unable to see it. Recently she had one Puffy that went quiet with his tracker not moving for over 5 months. So, it was decided to go dig it out of the burrow because it must be dead if it stayed there right through winter and into high summer. D was invited because anyone needs help digging in 40 degrees heat. So, after a good few hours of digging and by then in a belt-deep hole, he finally opened the cavity ...... just to find a very live and pissed off puffy that decided to go deeper into the tunnel system. So, yes, they do not sommer attack.

He says he's going the think twice before volunteering to help her dig again.....

13 minutes ago, DJR said:

My youngest is doing a research project in the Kalahari (on Pangolin, so scaly, but mammal). One of his co-researchers is doing a PhD project on Pufadders. She catches them and when she has a few, she gets the vet in. They anaethetise them and implant a tracker that also records all kinds of biometrics. That way she can find the snake again at the end of her project to get her expensive trackers back. Badass woman! (Likes heavy metal too)

The young D sometimes help her track her subjects. He says it is unnerving to have the tracker go bananas, bleeping like all hel is breaking loose because the snake is within a metre from you, and be totally unable to see it. Recently she had one Puffy that went quiet with his tracker not moving for over 5 months. So, it was decided to go dig it out of the burrow because it must be dead if it stayed there right through winter and into high summer. D was invited because anyone needs help digging in 40 degrees heat. So, after a good few hours of digging and by then in a belt-deep hole, he finally opened the cavity ...... just to find a very live and pissed off puffy that decided to go deeper into the tunnel system. So, yes, they do not sommer attack.

He says he's going the think twice before volunteering to help her dig again.....

See what happens when you listen to Heavy Metal! 🤓

32 minutes ago, DJR said:

nice to see some real interesting posts on le hub again.

thanks for this. moere interesting!

Guys in the UK were freaking out when I told them the snakes story and then followed it up with the video of the 3 decent sized bronze whalers that were having a heck of a time in waist deep Muizenburg when I pitched up for an early morning paddle the very next day. 🤣

IMG_4741.jpg

47 minutes ago, Dirt Tracker said:

Guys in the UK were freaking out when I told them the snakes story and then followed it up with the video of the 3 decent sized bronze whalers that were having a heck of a time in waist deep Muizenburg when I pitched up for an early morning paddle the very next day. 🤣

IMG_4741.jpg

How long back was that?

I havent caught a shark in a long time, then again I dont rig or bait up for them any longer. 

15 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

How long back was that?

I havent caught a shark in a long time, then again I dont rig or bait up for them any longer. 

My wife's boet used to fish for great whites at Dias beach in Mosselbay. He would be standing about 100 meters from all the vaalies swimming in the waves and then he'd pull in a 1.5 - 2m GW. Then he'd laugh himself silly at all the people going batshot crazy and flee for the dunes. 

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

My wife's boet used to fish for great whites at Dias beach in Mosselbay. He would be standing about 100 meters from all the vaalies swimming in the waves and then he'd pull in a 1.5 - 2m GW. Then he'd laugh himself silly at all the people going batshot crazy and flee for the dunes. 

Must have been before 1991!