BLACK FRIDAY 2023

swrid

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/20/2023 at 6:31 PM, Vetplant said:

I'm in the market for a specific Canon Camera and Lens. I went so far as to set up a EXCEL spreadsheet to keep track of prices. 

Prices in September/OCTOBER were proper specials, 20% lower than current "Specials". Stuff right now is just inflated retail prices with supposed "savings". 

Delayed gratification will win out in the end. I'll keep a tight grip on my Randelas till somewhere in the new year when they want to make revenue targets again thank you very much.

I'm curious, what are you buying?  I've done the same a year ago and pulled the trigger for a R7 and some lenses in May/June.

31 minutes ago, Underachiever said:

I'm curious, what are you buying?  I've done the same a year ago and pulled the trigger for a R7 and some lenses in May/June.

R10 Body only with RF100mm-400mm Lens

I had a look at the R7, but it will stretch my budget too far. The R10 seems more than capable for what I want to do: Mostly capturing my kid's sport and then also wildlife(not necessarily birds yet)

I have family members with RF lenses(L series), so I will look at borrowing said lenses when required ;)

4 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

R10 Body only with RF100mm-400mm Lens

I had a look at the R7, but it will stretch my budget too far. The R10 seems more than capable for what I want to do: Mostly capturing my kid's sport and then also wildlife(not necessarily birds yet)

I have family members with RF lenses(L series), so I will look at borrowing said lenses when required ;)

Good choice!! R7 allows for easier control when you shoot more "manual". but to be honest I don't think you need it.  BBF is quite nice and I think you can set the R10 up for that. 100-400 a real lekker lens at a good price point I also don't call myself a bird photographer, but my best sightings in KNP this year (6 weekends) was of birds!!!  

L-lenses - just a dream for me!!

50 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

I've been fortunate enough to shoot with a few different L lenses over the years and own a 70-200 f4 L , they are truly in a different league

I once had the opportunity to shoot a 800mm L lens ... hand held, panning shots of birds.

WOW !! what a piece of kit !!

BUT ... could not move my shoulder for the next week !!

33 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I once had the opportunity to shoot a 800mm L lens ... hand held, panning shots of birds.

WOW !! what a piece of kit !!

BUT ... could not move my shoulder for the next week !!

They get HEAVY, especially the wider aperture ones.

My 24-70 f2.8 (non L) weighs a touch over 900g, add a DSLR with grip, and flash and all of a sudden your over 2kg in your right hand. Throw in a few thousand pics in the space of a few short hours and its hurts.

26 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

My 24-70 f2.8 (non L) weighs a touch over 900g, add a DSLR with grip, and flash and all of a sudden your over 2kg in your right hand. Throw in a few thousand pics in the space of a few short hours and its hurts.

At the time I was used to the 70-200 lens on a D5 body, with battery extender.

The 4,5kg 800mm F5,6 on a D4 body is one heavy beast !!!

But MAN !!  Those mid flight photos !!!

24 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

We were in KNP last weekend and my friend shoots a Nikon D750 with a 20 year old Nikkor 500 f4.  Weights a ton and can't handheld at all at his age.  But his quality in low light compared to mine.... 

My ISO was creeping into the unacceptable range!!!

3 hours ago, Vye Cycle Kit said:

25% off everything is still a go, but we're adding flash sales every day on selected items. For today only: 40% off selected winter gear.

www.vye.co.za

Just bought the Velo bib shorts and at 25% off it's a sweet deal. Especially after someone mentioned my current shorts were a little bit on the see through side.