The Munga 2023

JohanDiv

11 minutes ago, Baracuda said:

So should one be on a gravel bike or MTB for this race. I thought there were lots of rocky jeep track sections later on that are "tricky" on a dropbar bike?

Was also thinking about it, given the TT bars on most mtbs... If you a mid pack or not going to win, I would say a mtb with TT bars? If you're at the pointy end then gravel?

Just to be a bit different, Nicky (one of the greats) doesn't even have TT bars.

image.jpeg.23adaa7deab0d7a783c994ac9865cc77.jpeg

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Baracuda said:

So should one be on a gravel bike or MTB for this race. I thought there were lots of rocky jeep track sections later on that are "tricky" on a dropbar bike?

I think this is very much a personal preference thing, what's most comfortable and familiar to every individual rider. Unfortunately there aren't very many locally available options for off-the-shelf drop bar bikes with MTB tyre clearance, and the options that exist are very expense (Curve, Sling cycles). 

Interestingly, my first grit I did on a steel drop bar gravel bike with 48/43mm tyres, and didn't have any severe hand/bum issues. Second one I did on a steel mountain bike with flat bars and "inner bar ends" (not the proper ones, cheapo Decathlon ones I just put inside of the grips) with 2.35" tyres and I had horrendous saddle sores and couldn't use my pinkies for a week.

16 hours ago, hboli4 said:

Personally I don't think the contenders will use drafting as tactic or if they do only until the first RV. It is then that strategy comes into play i.t.o. how long to stop/rest/eat if they indeed plan to do so and if you wait on someone else it can hurt your race. 

I'll be the first to offer the old cliche - Sutherland is halfway...

AFAIK drafting has always been allowed up to RV1, due to bunch sizes and difficulty to manage. now it seems easier to just erase the rule. rule enforcement always seemed a challenge for this race, so they brought this subjective thing where if the rule infraction doesn't seem to matter then it doesn't matter.....

where it sucks is if you work hard to create a lead/gap and then hit a headwind and people behind you can catchup while working less. but that is life.

ps. here's proof of drafting

May be a black-and-white image of 3 people, motorcycle, dirt bike and road

20 minutes ago, JJDT said:

Just saw on the FB page that Hansie abandoned the race due to health issues😢

Ohnoooooo. Was my favourate to win. Think he abandoned last year too. 

21 minutes ago, JJDT said:

Just saw on the FB page that Hansie abandoned the race due to health issues😢

34 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

AFAIK drafting has always been allowed up to RV1, due to bunch sizes and difficulty to manage. now it seems easier to just erase the rule. rule enforcement always seemed a challenge for this race, so they brought this subjective thing where if the rule infraction doesn't seem to matter then it doesn't matter.....

where it sucks is if you work hard to create a lead/gap and then hit a headwind and people behind you can catchup while working less. but that is life.

ps. here's proof of drafting

May be a black-and-white image of 3 people, motorcycle, dirt bike and road

Yip - you are correct, was always allowed until RV1 with this rule scrapped last year. I get what you are saying in terms of the rules, but regarding this rule I think it is the correct decision to allow it for the race - it is just too difficult to enforce without having resources follow riders over the vast distance.

As you say, trying to make a gap and then being caught by people working together has always been a part of cycling.

1 hour ago, Baracuda said:

There is nothing technical or tricky in the race it’s just very rough in parts. Rideable on a rigid gravel bike if you have the fitness. Min tire size of 55cm is probably wise. 

2 minutes ago, SSCC said:

There is nothing technical or tricky in the race it’s just very rough in parts. Rideable on a rigid gravel bike if you have the fitness. Min tire size of 55cm is probably wise. 

There was a section between Fraserburg & WP8 which was VERY rough and rocky with deep sand sections that I though would be very tough on a gravel bike but they are not doing that section this year. 

1 minute ago, Roul said:

Drickus is flying, hope he can keep it up.

he is riding 10% faster than the chasers.

image.png.6475c7a7af9ade815261d0ed5fd1cf0b.png

24 minutes ago, hboli4 said:

Yip - you are correct, was always allowed until RV1 with this rule scrapped last year. I get what you are saying in terms of the rules, but regarding this rule I think it is the correct decision to allow it for the race - it is just too difficult to enforce without having resources follow riders over the vast distance.

As you say, trying to make a gap and then being caught by people working together has always been a part of cycling.

not really. TD and many other ultra races manages to have no drafting, but it's then managed by the riders on an honesty system. Having commissaires ignoring rules means everyone can ignore rules.

https://mikewoolnough.blogspot.com/2018/12/the-munga-2018-race-thats-almost-great.html

Drikus is now almost 2 hours ahead of Ramses record pace 😳.

He said at the one waterpoint on the video they had a slight tailwind during the night. 

8 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

he is riding 10% faster than the chasers.

image.png.6475c7a7af9ade815261d0ed5fd1cf0b.png

not really. TD and many other ultra races manages to have no drafting, but it's then managed by the riders on an honesty system. Having commissaires ignoring rules means everyone can ignore rules.

https://mikewoolnough.blogspot.com/2018/12/the-munga-2018-race-thats-almost-great.html

Drikus is truly flying - looks like a tailwind since VDK. 

I agree with you Shebeen. When I rode I decided to do it my way and not be bothered about what others are doing - it is out of my control as well as how the rules are enforced(or not) - as long as I stay within  the rules. To this end I never rode with anybody else and only briefly chatted to riders at RV's & CP's and a couple of times on the route. Stupid to not make use of drafting? - probably. But I made up my mind before the start to do my own thing and ride as if drafting was not allowed. Also - I am probably too slow to draft anybody in any case.😁

In the ladies race Jenny Close also extending her lead to +-1,5hrs over Carien Visser. She is already past RV2. Will be interesting to see if Carien takes a bit of a break at RV2 or carry on to try and minimize the damage.