Jump to content

The Munga 2023


JohanDiv

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Willie Smit's bike looking streamline. He is obviously not planning on sleeping or sitting much more than 50 hours on that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Blokman said:

Nice one Gemmers for a good cause. Just a word of caution. When riding in SPCA kit just stay far away from the cut off points

He indicated he will this year. Last year was tight.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Moriarty said:

Can you all just chill, are we not adults?

People are over sensitive.The moment someone disagrees with them or take a view that they dislike they take it as personal attack on them .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Does anyone ride with a Camelbak on their backs or are those 3 or 4 bottle setups the norm?

I'm not certain that the divide is between those who wear a hydration pack and those who choose not to, but there are definitely riders wearing hydration packs (camelbacks).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

Earlier on this thread

Yes, thanks I did see that - but I was hoping to get more info ..i.e.  see the rider list on a Munga site with rider 'about' info etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, W Smith said:

People are over sensitive.The moment someone disagrees with them or take a view that they dislike they take it as personal attack on them .

How dare you! 

Those super high armrests are quite something. Can one see over them when in a normal hand position?! (I'm sure they can, it just looks really crazy)

I have always wondered why people with such a slick setup don't have a 2.5L paddling bottle in a bar bag with the drinking tube fastened to the bars. 

It's an easy refill and easy to drink while on the armrests 

What do I know though, I can't even afford an entry, so I'll feign absolute Jon Snow!

Those are proper Frankenbikes. I wouldn't have the balls to modify any of my bikes that much for a few days of riding

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd also like to give the oke riding the Rapide Tigre with day-to-day components some kudos. There's a clear trend of those that can afford the entry also not being shy to splurge on their bikes too. Its refreshing to see a bike in the mix that's more steel and duct tape than Apidura and primo-everything.

I, for one, wouldn't bring anything I'm not willing to damage/scratch/drag/rebuild to this ride. I see a lot of post-ride maintenance bills at Cyclelab being more than my current bike's value even if all goes smoothly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

How dare you! 

Those super high armrests are quite something. Can one see over them when in a normal hand position?! (I'm sure they can, it just looks really crazy)

I have always wondered why people with such a slick setup don't have a 2.5L paddling bottle in a bar bag with the drinking tube fastened to the bars. 

It's an easy refill and easy to drink while on the armrests 

What do I know though, I can't even afford an entry, so I'll feign absolute Jon Snow!

Those are proper Frankenbikes. I wouldn't have the balls to modify any of my bikes that much for a few days of riding

I'd take a stab and say a few main reasons.

One, redundancy, should your hydration bladder pop or malfunction you still have a backup in the form of a bottle in the Tankwa.

Two, variety. Having just water gets old if you have big gaps between WPs, having one bottle coke, one bottle energade, one bottle water gives you some options I guess. 

Given the budget, I'd be rocking a full frame bag with a big bladder in the bottom along woth ine spare bottle, similar to Bianchi Arcadex dude.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, TyronLab said:

I'd also like to give the oke riding the Rapide Tigre with day-to-day components some kudos. There's a clear trend of those that can afford the entry also not being shy to splurge on their bikes too. Its refreshing to see a bike in the mix that's more steel and duct tape than Apidura and primo-everything.

I, for one, wouldn't bring anything I'm not willing to damage/scratch/drag/rebuild to this ride. I see a lot of post-ride maintenance bills at Cyclelab being more than my current bike's value even if all goes smoothly.

Didn't even see the Rapide.🙈. Damn, if someone is willing to do this on a Rapide, then I guess I should never complain about doing marathon type riding with mine. I guess it can do it all.😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Settings My Forum Content My Followed Content Forum Settings Ad Messages My Ads My Favourites My Saved Alerts My Pay Deals Help Logout