Riding alone most of the time, do you?

NotSoBigBen

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

I think some of you are missing Panda's point.

Riding alone is risky for YOU but in the event of a fall you are often relying on strangers for help. Strangers who didn't sign up to spend their day assisting people who don't ride in groups because it doesn't suit them, but then rely on a group to get out in tact.

It's a tricky one because although most solo's acknowledge the risk is theirs, if people ride past them and say 'not my problem' while they bleed to death in the bushes there will be a level of un met expectancy of help

“not my problem”

This is the problem 😁 a lot of people will just move on or think that someone else will stop and make it their problem.

On the other hand …. Some people are to “proud or embarrassed” and won’t accept help pretending that everything’s ok

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Newbie321 said:

Same, I'd also rather bleed out than have some oak lecturing me about how I've inconvenienced his ride :D 

You've missed the point here completely, I never once said that ive lectured anybody about helping out or ignored somebody due to the potential of inconviencing of my ride.

Jewbacca has summed it up - ''  Riding alone is risky for YOU but in the event of a fall you are often relying on strangers for help. Strangers who didn't sign up to spend their day assisting people who don't ride in groups because it doesn't suit them, but then rely on a group to get out in tact. "

Edited by Pandatron

7 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

“not my problem”

This is the problem 😁 a lot of people will just move on or think that someone else will stop and make it their problem.

On the other hand …. Some people are to “proud or embarrassed” and won’t accept help pretending that everything’s ok

I think that is sort of Panda's point though

By riding/running alone, we are knowingly making our potential problems somebody elses problems if things go sideways

I'm not going to stop doing stuff alone, I quite genuinely don't have enough friends for one to join me every time I spontaneously decide to down tools and go up the mountain. But I will definitely be more cognisant of going with a mate if I can....... Just in case I end myself and need help

55 minutes ago, Pandatron said:

You've missed the point here completely, I never once said that ive lectured anybody about helping out or ignored somebody due to the potential of inconviencing of my ride.

Jewbacca has summed it up - ''  Riding alone is risky for YOU but in the event of a fall you are often relying on strangers for help. Strangers who didn't sign up to spend their day assisting people who don't ride in groups because it doesn't suit them, but then rely on a group to get out in tact. "

Ever heard of a hyperbole? You clearly have a strong opinion and threw shade at solo riders and putting words in peoples mouths about 'despising' groups yet relying on them, while people only posted here on why they ride alone. Your post just comes across as lecturing and someone who sounds aggrieved. 

Edited by Newbie321

I too ride alone out here in the Souf, generally only stick to the areas close to us (I may cycle around the open roads in Kibler, Mall of the South, Rietvlei and past Panorama Flea Market side, maybe a little around Alberton / Brackendowns etc..). I won't lie I have often been more scared of the traffic than any criminal threat, but thats just my experience to date. I see this EVAC24 site is down, has anyone else made use of this service who can maybe give a high level breakdown of the offering and monthly fees, what device you get with the subscription etc..?

I think this is a really good thing to have for peace of mind if anything.

EVAC24.jpg

1 hour ago, Newbie321 said:

Ever heard of a hyperbole? You clearly have a strong opinion and threw shade at solo riders and putting words in peoples mouths about 'despising' groups yet relying on them, while people only posted here on why they ride alone. Your post just comes across as lecturing and someone who sounds aggrieved. 

I also thought it sounded very resentful.. 

I have one mate that cycles on weekends as he works full 9 to 5.. I have flexi hours.. i can ride more often, so I do, on my own..

if you see me laying ina ditch bleeding out feel free to carry on with your day..

I made my choices, I’ll live with them.!🥹🤣🤣🤣

3 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

I do get his point and I know I'm going to get flack for this but I would consider it normal decency to help someone out whatever the circumstance but hey that's probably just me

Yes

Takes nothing to help a stranger in need.

Yeah, understand the point @Pandatron is making, so would agree there is definitely an expectation for any responsible adult to take measures in case of an accident/event. I ride alone a fair bit as well and leverage off of Garmin tracking, incident detection, ICE number on the phone and being prepared in terms of spares, nutrition etc. Also then taking it much easier to minimise the chances of falling. But stuff happens as we know and recently I was super disappointed to see how no fellow road cyclists were prepared to stop and help the other day when I was stuck on the side of the road with a catastrophic puncture. So I am now even more prepared as a result, but I have also stopped many times to offer aid and spares wherever I have seen someone stuck or hurt. So by the same logic we shouldn’t stop for anyone who on their own and in trouble regardless? Or is just reserved for fellow cyclists? A bit of a tough view…As someone who has helped more people and animals than I can count, I will continue to try help were I can when I evaluate the risk for me and mine is acceptable, so that help might just be calling an ambulance. But it will be some form of help. I have to also believe that I was perhaps put there at that moment in time to help, but let’s not get too out there…it’s not Friday yet. 

7 minutes ago, Murrob said:

Yeah, understand the point @Pandatron is making, so would agree there is definitely an expectation for any responsible adult to take measures in case of an accident/event. I ride alone a fair bit as well and leverage off of Garmin tracking, incident detection, ICE number on the phone and being prepared in terms of spares, nutrition etc. Also then taking it much easier to minimise the chances of falling. But stuff happens as we know and recently I was super disappointed to see how no fellow road cyclists were prepared to stop and help the other day when I was stuck on the side of the road with a catastrophic puncture. So I am now even more prepared as a result, but I have also stopped many times to offer aid and spares wherever I have seen someone stuck or hurt. So by the same logic we shouldn’t stop for anyone who on their own and in trouble regardless? Or is just reserved for fellow cyclists? A bit of a tough view…As someone who has helped more people and animals than I can count, I will continue to try help were I can when I evaluate the risk for me and mine is acceptable, so that help might just be calling an ambulance. But it will be some form of help. I have to also believe that I was perhaps put there at that moment in time to help, but let’s not get too out there…it’s not Friday yet. 

But there’s also the notion that a cyclist must help a cyclist going on here.. if I’m driving and I see a cyclist go down I’ll stop and help.. maybe even think about putting spares in my car🤔 in case there’s someone with a flat.. 

maybe I’ll attach some to my jeans belt and just always have with me in case.. 

maybe I’ve gone too far.!🤔🤷🏼‍♂️🤣

The answer to this question is simple. If you think of yourself as a human with even a small semblance of a moral compass, stop and help. 

If you think of yourself as a bit of a dwis, keep riding and look the other way.

It really is that simple. Do unto others as you would they do unto you. 

I've stopped and helped in some really bad situations, and I've been helped in a really bad situation. I've never given the fact that I've been inconvenienced a thought while helping others though. I was too busy helping. But that's just me.

1 hour ago, Michael Dewing said:

But there’s also the notion that a cyclist must help a cyclist going on here.. if I’m driving and I see a cyclist go down I’ll stop and help.. maybe even think about putting spares in my car🤔 in case there’s someone with a flat.. 

maybe I’ll attach some to my jeans belt and just always have with me in case.. 

maybe I’ve gone too far.!🤔🤷🏼‍♂️🤣

Back pack is more functional.

One for roadie spares, another for MTB spares ...

2 RECENT examples:

1. 10 days ago, I dislocated my shoulder going OTB on Snake Eyes/Tokai; 2 mates helped call the med-evacuate Bakkie (donation made); point is, only 1 rider had med-evacuate Bakkie s number in his phone, so us 2 LEARNED from this, in case we need help OR need to help…what the number was!

2. Returning from Makro Milnerton today, motorcyclist down in burst water mains puddle in Montagu Gardens; could not stop due to traffic, so took a longish detour, assisted him, bandaged his arm and leg, for him to THEN tell me he bought a top box for his new KTM from us on Sat morning past - small world - what goes around; comes around!

On 12/6/2023 at 2:58 PM, NotSoBigBen said:

If I had a dollar (no not a ZA rondt) for everytime I've heard 'you must be mad the amount of riding you do alone, it's not safe' .... My wife says I don't play well with others and that's why I prefer it 😝

I'm well aware of the risks and I do try to be as safe as possible knowing that's no guarantee.

I know I'm not the only one since here and there I do see other riders out on their own.

My question is are there other hubbers that ride alone most of the time despite the danger?

I do. Mostly anyway. My time to clear my head not chit chat. However I do enjoy a session with friends every now and then. 

My advice to anyone riding alone.

Ride alone in more built up areas, in other words where there are always people around, if something happens, you can be sure a Good Samaritan will make an appearance, this country has many good people. In the event of a crash or medical issue, in a more built up area you are almost certain that help will come from somewhere.

As for your own safety against bike jackers and attackers.

Its a risk one takes, but I can’t stress enough how some people just don’t have proactive practice of protection..Situational awareness is a skill that needs to be developed, and it can be done by accepting that there are many negatives around being out there alone on a bicycle.

As we accept the negatives, we start thinking proactively. Thinking  proactively betters ones chances for when an undesirable moment was to happen.Train the mind and train the emotions. It could make all the difference in saving your life if things were to spiral out of control.

Yes,I weapon up (not with a firearm) And yes I’ve had some hairy moments and managed to get out of those situations. Work on that awareness, know your limits, learn how to be calm.

Stay away from danger areas, follow forums and groups where these areas are being flagged and spoken about. 

Change your route and your times, these thugs love watching routine and act upon that, it’s every seldom you will just encounter a random opportunist.

If you feel vulnerable being alone, seek out the safest riding spaces and join a group of riders to make you feel safer about being out there.

Im off on a tangent again, sorry folks. Sometimes my fingers act with my thoughts.

15 hours ago, Brian.G said:

I too ride alone out here in the Souf, generally only stick to the areas close to us (I may cycle around the open roads in Kibler, Mall of the South, Rietvlei and past Panorama Flea Market side, maybe a little around Alberton / Brackendowns etc..). I won't lie I have often been more scared of the traffic than any criminal threat, but thats just my experience to date. I see this EVAC24 site is down, has anyone else made use of this service who can maybe give a high level breakdown of the offering and monthly fees, what device you get with the subscription etc..?

I think this is a really good thing to have for peace of mind if anything.

EVAC24.jpg