Rohan Dennis Arrested

Sandro

Rohan Dennis charged in relation to the death of his wife Melissa Hoskins Australian media report that the former rider was arrested and charged for causing death by dangerous driving.

Various media outlets in Australia have reported that retired professional cyclist Rohan Dennis has been charged over his wife’s death, Melissa Dennis, née Hoskins

According to reports Melissa Dennis died from injuries in hospital after the incident took place on Saturday night.

Rohan Dennis, 33, was charged with causing death by dangerous driving, driving without due care and endangering life. He has been released on bail until a later date.

ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) first reported that local emergency services were called to a suburb in Medindie, Adelaide after 8pm on Saturday following reports that a female had been hit by a driver.

The news outlet confirmed that the woman suffered suffered serious injuries and was taken to the Royal Adelaide Hospital for treatment, but died overnight.

Hoskins was 32 years old and a mother of two. She and Dennis married in 2018.

Rohan Dennis is set to appear at Adelaide Magistrates Court on March 13 to face his charges.

Hoskins was a highly successful pro cyclist in her own right, winning titles and races both on the road and track. As a young rider she was awarded a cycling scholarship by the Australian Institute of Sport and in 2015 she became a world champion as part of Australia's team pursuit squad. Hoskins also competed at both the London and Rio Olympic Games.

…just for clarity: the ‘SA’ in the picture … ‘ SA Champion Cyclist…’ relates to South Australia, and NOT South Africa…

Chris

5 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Geee some media went ballistic with sensational titles picturing him as straight up murderer. I hope it was an accident as stated above, at least the kids will still have a father...

In Australia the state can decide if you were negligent and/or your actions caused harm or death.

I understood that he has been charged by the state for basically making a bad judgement call that put his wife's life in danger 

It's tricky as the law dictates they 'should' investigate the incident while humanity suggests they should let the family mourn.

'If' he ran over his wife as is alleged, he will be dealing with some demons I wouldn't wish on anyone. 

For me, the sensationalism is part of the algorithm, clicks, interaction and linked discussions can be tracked, so the more they can engage with the facebook/Bikehub/PinkBike drama queens the 'better' the story does.

It's really sad, the whole thing. Including the state of news and reporting.

Adding in 'Olympic athlete' and listing other palmares in the title instead of saying 'Wife and Mother' is an immediate red flag

I saw that “party trick” line and I really hope there is more to the story. What in the **** party trick would that be. 

2 hours ago, Jbr said:

Geee some media went ballistic with sensational titles picturing him as straight up murderer. I hope it was an accident as stated above, at least the kids will still have a father...

Didn’t really see much of that, think a lot of it is also down to people’s own interpretation of what is breaking news of a tragic incident involving two relatively high profile people.

Regardless, the net effect is heartbreaking. 

41 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

Daily Mail is the last source to be quoting any measure of credibility. It’s a quasi right wing, sensationalist baiting tabloid.

Agreed but name me one media source these days that isn't clickbait and sensationalist. One worse than the next.