Second hand bike market in 2024

ChrisO

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

Regardless of market conditions….ive always sold things at roughly 50-60% new value. They always sell fast in that bracket. Like already mentioned by others….if im selling it, i had my joy and im selling it to offset the costs of something new i want…not to necessarily make maximum profit or recoup money.

its the guys listing stuff for 75% ish of the new price who are in for a rude awakening imo. There will be outliers of course and someone might think your warranty-less ~25% off new discount is a good deal. But not me. You have to consider all these things.

there are people on here selling used stuff for more than what you can land it here new using the grey stuff between your ears😅

I've been privy to a few property deals in the last year that have blown my mind. One where people paid 1.9 mill for a flat 12 years ago and sold for 7.2 just before christmas..... When people have money and want what you have, the price is irrelevant.

Some people see selling high as 'winning' and others see selling low as 'fair'. I too sell low so it goes. I am not patient enough to sit on an advert and renew it every 4 weeks hoping to sucker someone for a few extra zar

Some people are and they are incredibly unflappable

23 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

people paid 1.9 mill for a flat 12 years ago and sold for 7.2 just before christmas.....

That’s a very good ROI. I have a property in Claremont that I paid R900k for the same number of years ago now worth R2.7m, I thought that was good!

23 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I am not patient enough to sit on an advert and renew it every 4 weeks hoping to sucker someone for a few extra zar

Totally. If there isn’t any serious interest within a week, the price is too high. Simple as that.

Also, R100k sitting idle for 6 months (I’ve seen this happen with a used EB on my LBS floor) means thousands in lost interest in a bond or returns in an account somewhere, rather pass that to a buyer who gets a better deal; R100k sitting on a floor is value lost for everyone involved 🤦‍♂️ 

Edited by LazyTrailRider
Typo

23 hours ago, Mohs said:

There's plenty of kilometres to cover on a battery. (Thousands) The only thing worth keeping an eye on is the drivetrain, specifically the chain and cassette. Occasionally, you might run into some motor issues, but personally, I've owned four second-hand e-bikes without any problems. Plus, there are more workshops available now that can handle motor repairs if needed.

The only hiccups I've encountered, fingers crossed, involve cable and wire connections. They tend to get dirty, but a good cleaning usually does the trick to get everything back in smooth working order.

The 50k to 70k ebike market got some super deals. 

My sister in law goes through cassettes and chains rather rapidly....too much assist and not enough cadence?

13 hours ago, MORNE said:

Regardless of market conditions….ive always sold things at roughly 50-60% new value. They always sell fast in that bracket. Like already mentioned by others….if im selling it, i had my joy and im selling it to offset the costs of something new i want…not to necessarily make maximum profit or recoup money.

its the guys listing stuff for 75% ish of the new price who are in for a rude awakening imo. There will be outliers of course and someone might think your warranty-less ~25% off new discount is a good deal. But not me. You have to consider all these things.

there are people on here selling used stuff for more than what you can land it here new using the grey stuff between your ears😅

About 8 or 10 years ago I bought few-weeks-old  Scott 10sp roadbike that had done literally 200km, from Cajees for about 7k. And I could pay it over 2 months ...  A year or so later I sold it for R500 more than they were going for new....if you were from Fourways and bought a mint black Scotty from me....sorry....but I REALLY look after my stuff. Trek USPS 5200....I paid R15800 and 2 years later sold it for 16k.....those were the TRUE bubble years when Trek SA (Anton and? forget their name)couldn't unpack the containers fast enough....😬

31 minutes ago, love2fly said:

My sister in law goes through cassettes and chains rather rapidly....too much assist and not enough cadence?

Is that what she said?...need to get your brother to up the cadence then 😂

On 1/9/2024 at 8:39 PM, love2fly said:

I'd be super scared to buy a used e-bike....imagine having to fork big bucks on a new battery soon after? Are warrantys transferable? I doubt batteries get more than minimal cover? These days warrantys are against "manufacturing defects" which is such a grey area and difficult to prove.

I've done 8000km on my Levo SL, battery shows 100% heatlh.

On 1/9/2024 at 8:39 PM, love2fly said:

I'd be super scared to buy a used e-bike....imagine having to fork big bucks on a new battery soon after? Are warrantys transferable? I doubt batteries get more than minimal cover? These days warrantys are against "manufacturing defects" which is such a grey area and difficult to prove.

as per above second hand ebikes mena no manufacturers warranty. Ask me how i know. Lots more to go wrong and when they do go wrong they are modular to replace so you cnat just take to the local bike shop. Motors are a unit as are batteries. Cost lots

41 minutes ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

as per above second hand ebikes mena no manufacturers warranty. Ask me how i know. Lots more to go wrong and when they do go wrong they are modular to replace so you cnat just take to the local bike shop. Motors are a unit as are batteries. Cost lots

For example, Spez's SL 1.2 motor is around R40k... 😬

Edited by LazyTrailRider