the unofficial Cape Epic 2024 thread

Shebeen

Hope fully one thing we can all agree on is that we have the best trails and scenery in the world. 

What an advert for the Cape yesterday and it should only get better as the week goes.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a random thought that popped into my head. Matt and Koolharvy as partners!? (Sponsors, etc excluded) Think that will be a really powerful team, or is Koolharvy past his prime, or is their riding styles and strengths and weakness much the same, and that will hinder them more than anyhing?

Keen to hear the thoughts of those more in the know. (John..)

Edited by Wannabe

45 minutes ago, @grootlem said:

I heard discussions from top riders on training camps here with that view. They felt that the Namibian would be better in the heat and that their riding strengths are more matched. We shall see :)

I too thought Alex would be the better bet especially after their Tankwa performance.  Four days is a very different animal than an eight day stage race so I will defer to the team decisions as they would have a better understanding of the overall balancing of the main team and support team. I suspect there was a desire to a support team that is stronger than any previous support team that could also contend for the African jersey? Grotts was only my third pick, I had Martin Kossman in there behind Blevins but …Olympic year so I really should have taken the Grotts option more seriously.

28 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

Just a random thought that popped into my head. Matt and Koolharvy as partners!? (Sponsors, etc excluded) Think that will be a really powerful team, or is Koolharvy past his prime, or is their riding styles and strengths and weakness much the same, and that will hinder them more than anyhing?

Koolhavy isn’t associated with Specialized anylonger. He’s working with Czech brands Superior Bikes and Zleen tyres now. There no fit there at all. He’s also not racing epic for an overall but more for the product exposure, testing and development feedback.

Edited by DieselnDust

19 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I too thought Alex would be the better bet especially after their Tankwa performance.  Four days is a very different animal than an eight day stage race so I will defer to the team decisions as they would have a better understanding of the overall balancing of the main team and support team. I suspect there was a desire to a support team that is stronger than any previous support team that could also contend for the African jersey? Grotts was only my third pick, I had Martin Kossman in there behind Blevins but …Olympic year so I really should have taken the Grotts option more seriously.

Koolhavy is associated with Specialized anylonger. He’s working with Czech brands Superior Bikes and Zleen tyres now. There no fit there at all. He’s also not racing epic for an overall but more for the product exposure, testing and development feedback.

Tankwa is 3 days and a short prologue. 
3hrs of racing a day (or a smidge more)

29 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

2 very different stages of their careers. 

Hypothetically, will they gel and be a good team, or not. Everything else notwithstanding. 

51 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

Hypothetically, will they gel and be a good team, or not. Everything else notwithstanding. 

They’re pro’s, they do the job. Probably similar riding styles so it could have worked if the peaks of their careers overlapped. All hypothetical of course.

Went to watch the prologue yesterday.

Unbelievable to see so many Orbea Oiz bikes, as compared to a few years ago. Maybe because of SCR win on Orbea. 

Would love to see the results of the rider survey again. My guess is that top brands will be: Spez, Scott then Orbea. 

Edited by Stephan

Meanwhile, the company of speed has laid down some hurt and caused a split in the leading group

21 hours ago, babse said:

That does look proper. Looks like a semi luxury version.

20 years later and tents finally get a makeover 😅🤘

might not be for everyone. lots of cheapo nylon still there. not an easy village to organise, i suspect there will be a lot of people in tulbagh/ceres/wolseley guesthouses then moving to wellington/paarl

image.png.2ce452d78c70e764685ba59192045cc7.png

1 minute ago, Stephan said:

Went to watch the prologue yesterday.

Unbelievable to see so many Orbea Oiz bikes, as compared to a few years ago. Maybe because of SCR win on Orbea. 

Would love to see the results of the rider survey again. My guess will be top brands: Spez, Scott then Orbea. 

dunno about that entirely, probably more down to cyclelab pushing the brand. It's not like Bulls ever had much market here despite 10+ yrs of podiums

Just now, Shebeen said:

dunno about that entirely, probably more down to cyclelab pushing the brand. It's not like Bulls ever had much market here despite 10+ yrs of podiums

There are a lot of Spanish and South American riders in the field this year , and most of the Spaniards are on Orbea.

Specialized still most popular with the Saffas just from casting an eye about. 

Orbea improved popularity in SA also likely due to timing of the launch last year. People enter the epic, then buy new bike for the event. Many opt for the latest new bike.

there appears to still be a trend toward the top tier groupsets, but Shimano is starting to look rare as hens teeth at the Epic

5 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

You also couldn’t get A Bulls bike in SA.