the unofficial Cape Epic 2024 thread

Shebeen

6 minutes ago, ajnkzn said:

If you see Oli Munnik and partner a few years ago on their Signal Hardtails (yes they were kitted with nice wheels etc but still a basic bike), the bike is not what's holding anyone back?

I would bet that a R 40 k used aluminium Giant / Orbea / Spez dual sus, well serviced and with a good rider, could get into the top 100 easily.

It was garbage frames ( sorry not sorry signal , you make some f the biggest K%K in this country ) 

with top of the line drivetrans , brakes , wheels , forks , cockpit ect.

It was scott rc's with signal frames 

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, ajnkzn said:

If you see Oli Munnik and partner a few years ago on their Signal Hardtails (yes they were kitted with nice wheels etc but still a basic bike), the bike is not what's holding anyone back?

I would bet that a R 40 k used aluminium Giant / Orbea / Spez dual sus, well serviced and with a good rider, could get into the top 100 easily.

yes and no. How did Oli do that year? There is a photo on the internet somewhere of a pink nishiki in jonkershoek completing the final stage of epic edition 1.

The law of diminishing returns comes into play very quickly. the rider who gets your 90th place on a Giant anthem from bikehub classifieds would probably get a 70th place on a fancy new bike @R120k. Is the 20 places worth R80k, for many people the answer is yes. 

2 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

It was garbage frames ( sorry not sorry signal , you make some f the biggest K%K in this country ) 

with top of the line drivetrans , brakes , wheels , forks , cockpit ect.

It was scott rc's with signal frames 

https://bikehub.co.za/news/epic-bike-check-oli-munnik39s-signal-elite-r7789/

Not to get sidelined from the point of my post, but the above breaks down the exact build.

No different from what most MTBers on Bike Hub ride in terms of components (other than rims - DT Swiss 350 hub is not top end).

But the point is, you don't need a R 150 k bike to race the Epic well.

Not sure if it was shared somewhere here (if it was I humbly apologise), but for those of you who are interested you can follow this year's Cape Epic 2024 - Dave and Daryl's (Impey) EPIC Adventure

Edited by nathrix

23 minutes ago, nathrix said:

Not sure if it was shared somewhere here (if it was I humbly apologise), but for those of you who are interested you can follow this year's Cape Epic 2024 - Dave and Daryl's (Impey) EPIC Adventure

cool. any other ones like this?

39 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

8:20:12 for the newest team in 

Hopefully they're not 100% shattered tomorrow cause this has barely begun 

Tomorrow is even hotter than today.

My take after stage 2

First time Nino has had a proper partner, i like these two gents, got a feeling they might win this, or second.

Worried about Mat's partner, did you see how Mat looks a tad irritated after the stages, as if he knows he could have had a stronger guy with him, time will tell.

Bufmega are MEGA, they are always making jokes, these guys are strong, think they might take this.

Speed company, not sure at all, you never know, they might spring to life soon.

Tristen, honey comb, really hope they stay strong and try get closer to the above gents.

Punctures, breakdowns, can change everything. I see Nino is STILL on Aspens, hope they last.

Woman......i think Candice could have got a stronger partner, maybe taller as well 😐 But time will tell.

I think Ghost and Spez teams might take this, but really hoping Candice and Mona hang in there and maybe surprise everyone.

Clearly Nino have still not caught onto the fact that the Western Cape is littered with devil thorns this time of the year. Especially after the good rains we had last year.

2 hours ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

I just mentioned to some friends that the thing most Epic first-timers fail to train for is the hike-a-bike sections and they absolutely kill your legs for the next days stage. You end up with massive muscle stiffness because you're only conditioned for cycling so the glutes, hammies & calves take a beating. It sounds inconsequential but believe me, you pay the price. It's literally only the Pros that can climb those massive mountains on the bike, for the rest it's a 30min to 1 hour hike, almost every day.

Interesting that I was asked a few years ago by a lady friend that was doing her first Epic what I would have done differently ... I said instead of those rushed up, over and back at Breedsnek a month before I would have walked, over and back a few times!