Shebeen

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2024 at 5:00 PM, DieselnDust said:

Yes Nino and Fini being pragmatic. World cups start in 4 weeks. They need to be ready . The marathon guys don’t have as busy a schedule so they can afford to go deeper. 
matt and Howard rode a very very well measured race. Grotts riding a bit more conservative in stage 1 and 2 proved to be  the best pathway for their team. So good strategy. Not sure how much of a hand Mr Wakefield had in that but I’m sure it was more than a pinky. 
the revelation of the race was Buff Megamo. They surprised. Didn’t see them coming . They had a bad day but bounced back. At first i though they extended their one shot wonder to two shots but it’s been 5 shots so maybe they’ve made a preparation breakthrough.

georg eggar’s interview sounds like Lucas is suffering from exhaustion , the heat would have played a big role in that. Probably not heat acclimated enough. That little feature in the Garmin bike computer is quite useful. Laura Stark is suffering from similar symptoms and did not start this morning. Some saying stomach bug but there’s no gastric flu bug doing the rounds. There is a covid bug going around. 
every year the race does Tulbagh it’s stupidly hot and people suffer heat exhaustion but other things get blamed.

preparing for the heat cannot be over emphasised

On 3/29/2024 at 10:06 AM, two hands said:

Been interesting scrolling through the during- and post-Epic comments and correlating it to my experience of riding the event this year.
Since I was the journalist who actually got this quote from Burry back in 2012, in an interview for the 10-year coffee table book "African Epic: The Untamed Mountain Bike Race" maybe I can offer some context. This was part of a long, rambling and fairly philosophical conversation Burry and I had as he was driving to the airport to race another World Cup block. If you knew Burry, you'll know this wasn't about discounting anyone's mountain biking experience or commitment to the sport. It has nothing to do with whether Epic riders are the only true mountain bikers. He certainly didn't believe that. It wasn't inferring that the Epic was a measure of your worth as a mountain biker. Hell, at that stage most of the World Cup pro field hadn't even considered racing a Cape Epic. Nino had only done one (in 2010).
Burry genuinely rejoiced in meeting and encouraging all riders, no matter their age, background or ability. He was simply saying that no matter where in the field you finish – in a jersey or with twice the finishing time of the pro field – the Epic unites us all in that it takes a certain amount of vasbyt and suffering to complete one. Anyone who has ridden a Cape Epic knows this. Those who have supported a pro team, a mate or loved one know this too. Even if you arrive at the Prologue in the best shape of your life (fitter than your partner, even!) you are now at the mercy of the weather, the terrain, mechanicals, race village viruses, other riders' skill levels, your own mental health, the list goes on... This is true for the entire field. Sometimes you are the hammer, sometimes you are the nail. Not only relative to your partner but at the hands of all the variables that conspire to end your Epic campaign. If you're human, you'll suffer somewhere out there. Burry recognised that was true for all Epic riders, himself included, and wanted to close the perceived gap between the experience of top riders and those further back in the field.

love this post - that was me at the Epic - SUFFERING and somehow just hanging in there to the end. And having one the greatest downhill runs of my life on Day 4 - where did everyone go? The trail just opened up coming off "Alp de Huez" and my trail bike did the rest. Feel very grateful to have competed and to my partner who kept me in it when all I wanted to do was give up.

On 3/28/2024 at 8:06 AM, eala said:

The riders come from places that people do ride like south america and Spain .One year there were many Belgians and in 2019 there was a big team from Colombia  

totally - chatted with many spanish speaking riders during the race. Lots from S. America. They were saying why go to the USA or Europe for holiday - they realised its so much cheaper to come to Cape Town and get a brilliant experience. So much trail, great food and wine and lots of fun. And these guys spend. Epic should link to Tourism Cape Town and get the riders to spend some time here after or maybe put a booth up at the Epic so they can see whats on.

On 3/26/2024 at 4:30 PM, Jewbacca said:

The strength of commitment and emotional responses on this thread by guys who aren't ever going to ride the race is testament to how big the race is!!! 😜

Running Comrades is easy. Way easier than finishing the Epic. 

8 days of riding under pressure in a row is tough. There is absolutely no denying that. Probably tougher for the very back markers than the front/mid pack amateurs.

Walking trails when you're dehydrated, exhausted and running on empty is often a management tool. You just want to get to the finish without breaking anything.

Same as guys walking up hills.

If you haven't done a race longer than 3 or 4 days, you are likely not in touch with what goes on physically or mentally.

Compounded fatigue is real.

I still think the challenge is rad, as long as the motivation driving you isn't to be a part of an imaginary real mtb rider club.

Regardless of body shape, skill, bike brand etc getting this battle done isn't for everybody, but a helluva achievement nonetheless.

i was a back marker esp after mechanicals on Stage 1 and nausea and gut problems on stage 2 and 3 - my aim was to get to finish of Stage 4 and if I did this my epic legs would be ok for the rest. A lot of riders dropped out on day 4 with heat stress - over 60 were admitted to hospital in kidney failure. Well Stage 5 was supposed to be the easy recovery stage with 1800m climbing but I felt absolutely stuffed throughout and could not get into a rythmn, and stage 6 and 7 was also really tough. It just didnt get easier although I got fitter. A lot of riders do get better at the technical sections towards the end of the race. With the epic there are just so many variables to cope with - its a mental challenge as well as a physical challenge, and really requires team work.

9 minutes ago, @grootlem said:

I don't think the Epic will allow this to be published in its current form. They don't allow images of amateurs and backmarkers pushing, walking, struggling

There's 2022 and 2021 of struggle on youtube, next conspiracy theory

The person that made the video told me this yesterday. Epic told him to remove it

5 minutes ago, @grootlem said:

The person that made the video told me this yesterday. Epic told him to remove it

And yet it's still up?

I just messaged him that's it's still on here. Wouter is in hospital but I've sent him the link now

Edited by @grootlem

5 minutes ago, @grootlem said:

I just messaged him that's it's still on here. Wouter is in hospital but I've sent him the link now

Are you talking about that excellent video of the amateur field??

serriiiaaaaasly! I thought mentality had changed over at the grand stand

Nope they're still the same. I heard a few years ago you won't see official pics of strugglers walking or riders hurt. He didn't know the video is on here. Will hopefully get answers next week on what needs to be cut

48 minutes ago, @grootlem said:

Nope they're still the same. I heard a few years ago you won't see official pics of strugglers walking or riders hurt. He didn't know the video is on here. Will hopefully get answers next week on what needs to be cut

I watched the whole thing twice😂

they’ll have to give a lot of frontal lobotomies to save the world from mountain bikers suffering 

3 hours ago, @grootlem said:

Reason? not enfriging on any rights perhaps? 

43 minutes ago, babse said:

Reason? not enfriging on any rights perhaps? 

I do t think so because he acknowledges the Cape Epic for giving him full access to the competitors and their staff. So I think it’s a case of they didn’t approve the final edit.

who remembers the days when a bike shop that carried the name Epic was sent a lawyers letter to rename their store as it infringed on the copyright of The event . There was a bit of egg on face there as the shop existed before the event. 

or people running training clinics were told they can’t use “Epic” in their product descriptions without written approval from the event owner. 

So none of this surprises me

42 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I do t think so because he acknowledges the Cape Epic for giving him full access to the competitors and their staff. So I think it’s a case of they didn’t approve the final edit.

who remembers the days when a bike shop that carried the name Epic was sent a lawyers letter to rename their store as it infringed on the copyright of The event . There was a bit of egg on face there as the shop existed before the event. 

or people running training clinics were told they can’t use “Epic” in their product descriptions without written approval from the event owner. 

So none of this surprises me

Emma Sadleir letters!!!!!

Those were the days