[Event] Lourensford Classic

JC Kriegler

5 minutes ago, dev null said:

It is an XCM race, so I would think the e-bikes would not be allowed. It is not an MTB fun ride.

Would be nice if they would just confirm as such ....

not that I am in their target market.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Kvrsa said:

Weather is looking very spicy, rain and wind >40kph.

Yes - very disappointing. Will make a call Sat evening but I have no intention of braving a storm just to mtb.

7 minutes ago, babse said:

The area drains well...

IMG_7932.MOV

LOL! You can have my entry if the prediction is still monsoon on Saturday night

I rode Lourensford in 2014 when they had an event there on the Epic final day. I recall it being just one long uphill slog.

Also, scenes on TV from last year's Epic with all the rain, mud, and hike-a-bikery informs me that the drainage there is a pig that should be avoided on wet days.

1 hour ago, Eastieman said:

Anyone want to sell me their entry ?

I will gladly sell you my entry.
Let me know. ( I have sent you a direct message )

What is the anticipated procedure if the weather becomes too bad (if that's a thing😂)? Will the organisers ever call it off? Asking since it's my first mtb race/ event.

24 minutes ago, Rikus Louw said:

What is the anticipated procedure if the weather becomes too bad (if that's a thing😂)? Will the organisers ever call it off? Asking since it's my first mtb race/ event.

There would be a safety officer, and it will be that person's call to cancel the event conditions are unsafe. Only happens occasionally though, weather have to be extreme for event to be called off.

32 minutes ago, Rikus Louw said:

TWO possible situations:

1. PRIVATE FARM - such an event often dont jump through hoops for municipal approval.  Calling the event off becomes a nightmare, as there often is not a specific "gate keeper" for the overall event safety.

2. Events that use municipal or district roads - now the organiser has to follow a set of By-Laws to obtain "event approval" from the Local Authority.  There are multiple steps to such an aproval.  The final go ahead is given 2 to 3 days before the event.  Think it was in 2022 when the Round the Pot event in Swellendam was cancelled BY COUNCIL, due to severe storm warnings.

Obviously LOTS of opinions on this.  But it boils down to a legal framework to mitigate risks, not just for the event but for the greater community.  During severe storms emergency services are on standby for the community, not for a sporting event ....

I have dealt with this By-Law a few times, assisting organisers to get events going.  It can be a time sapping exercise .... and the smallest details can hold back approval and cause lots of stres to the team .... 

1 minute ago, ChrisF said:

TWO possible situations:

1. PRIVATE FARM - such an event often dont jump through hoops for municipal approval.  Calling the event off becomes a nightmare, as there often is not a specific "gate keeper" for the overall event safety.

2. Events that use municipal or district roads - now the organiser has to follow a set of By-Laws to obtain "event approval" from the Local Authority.  There are multiple steps to such an aproval.  The final go ahead is given 2 to 3 days before the event.  Think it was in 2022 when the Round the Pot event in Swellendam was cancelled BY COUNCIL, due to severe storm warnings.

Obviously LOTS of opinions on this.  But it boils down to a legal framework to mitigate risks, not just for the event but for the greater community.  During severe storms emergency services are on standby for the community, not for a sporting event ....

I have dealt with this By-Law a few times, assisting organisers to get events going.  It can be a time sapping exercise .... and the smallest details can hold back approval and cause lots of stres to the team .... 

Thanks a ton for the information, Chris. So yeah, long story short, a lot of difficult decisions has to be made in a short and very inconvenient time.

Best for a participant to just sit back and wait for the communication to come through, even if that means braving the weather Sunday morning at 5h30...

8 minutes ago, Rikus Louw said:

Thanks a ton for the information, Chris. So yeah, long story short, a lot of difficult decisions has to be made in a short and very inconvenient time.

Best for a participant to just sit back and wait for the communication to come through, even if that means braving the weather Sunday morning at 5h30...

Realistically, I think 1 or 2 events got cancelled in the last couple of YEARS.

Okay, make that three events - Lourensford (private event) made the call about 10 days before the event due severe flood damage and they realised they were not going to rebuild the trails in time.  No risk on the day, just simply too much damage to the trails.

Much more realistic chance of an event going ahead as a MUD-fest ....

Friend did this 2 or 3 years back in Stellenbosch, with a Scott with only 800km on the clock .... NO !! a hose pipe does NOT get the grit out of the bearings ....  That new bike required a FULL rebuild by the time he realised that a wash wont do .....  By all means, go play, this IS why we bought MTB's.  But stand back after the event and make a call if the bike needs a "full service" .... please dont wait for the grit to rust up and destroy the bearings, free hub, BB, etc ....

Edited by ChrisF

5 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Friend did this 2 or 3 years back in Stellenbosch, with a Scott with only 800km on the clock .... NO !! a hose pipe does NOT get the grit out of the bearings .... 

That's a HARD NO for me as well. I see mud, I don't ride. I recall so many people having to replace drive trains after the 2019 Karoo to Coast after gritting it out to Knysna in torrential rain and near freezing temps. Many bikes nearly died that day.

And then, that grit gets onto your suspension and starts killing your stanchions and seals. 

Nee dankie. Ek hou verby.

6 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Realistically, I think 1 or 2 events got cancelled in the last couple of YEARS.

Okay, make that three events - Lourensford (private event) made the call about 10 days before the event due severe flood damges and they realised they were not going to rebuild the trails in time.  No risk on the day, just simply too much damage to the trails.

Much more realistic chance of it going ahead as a MUD-fest ....

Friend did this 2 or 3 years back in Stellenbosch, with a Scott with only 800km on the clock .... NO !! a hose pipe does NOT get the grit out of the bearings ....  That new bike required a FULL rebuild by the time he realised that a wash wont do .....  By all means, go play, this IS why we bought MTB's.  But stand back after the event and make a call if the bike needs a "full service" .... please dont wait for the grit to rust up and destroy the bearings, free hub, BB, etc ....

This is why I consider myself a fair weather rider, haha, maintenance costs enough without riding willingly in a swamp. Apart from the rain, I don't back myself to ride safely (or have any fun) in 40+kph wind and 70+kph gusts. Was looking forward to this race, but I think its a no from me unless something drastically changes.