Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

3 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

Every year we get flack in $ for cutting our back numbers, because it's against UCI rules to modify your number. They refuse to acknowledge that the actual problem is with the numbers supplied... 

Screenshot_20230921-0824422.jpg.7d05d66cac7083786bfbbccd20f013ef.jpg

My number goes onto the back of my Camelback .... simply have to fold it ....

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Probably because the time keepers don't know yet and details haven't been finalised. 

But as I have it the permanent numbers will be in use from Durbie Dash onwards, so if you buy a board for one of the spring/summer races you can use it permanently incl the cycle tour.

Same timing system they used at the 94.7 ie a board you can fit on the seatpost so you won't have a big mtb board as a timing chip.

Whether there will still be a small board upfront as with recent cycle tours i dont know.

Edit - that was the original plan a few months ago, there might be issues/problems that cause a change of plans.

Those very same time keepers were selling the new boards .....  Think they were smiling because the KNEW, but probably not allowed to talk ....

1 hour ago, Bub Marley said:

Problem here is when you enter for durbie dash, there’s no option to buy permanent board. You have to add a disposable chip. 

JIP !!!

Half the field would have bought new boards before the Argus .... even though the Argus entry includes a new board ....

Aaaaag wat .... lifes to short to sweat the small stuff ....

EDIT .... Argus works with the number pinned to your clothing.  The new board has a different number ....  Seems we need a lot more information about what they plan for 2024 .....

Edited by ChrisF

17 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

JIP !!!

Half the field would have bought new boards before the Argus .... even though the Argus entry includes a new board ....

Aaaaag wat .... lifes to short to sweat the small stuff ....

EDIT .... Argus works with the number pinned to your clothing.  The new board has a different number ....  Seems we need a lot more information about what they plan for 2024 .....

The boards you buy before the Argus will be temporary, the permanent board will be with the Argus entry

So people doing races prior to the Argus will be wasting R20 to R50 per race on temporary boards - could add up to a tidy number for people doing many events

Very wasteful decision by the Cycle Tour Trust.

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

The boards you buy before the Argus will be temporary, the permanent board will be with the Argus entry

So people doing races prior to the Argus will be wasting R20 to R50 per race on temporary boards - could add up to a tidy number for people doing many events

You say wasteful. It’s more stupid to me. Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. They knew this was coming so had more than enough time to prepare for it. 

I don’t see what the big issue is. Let us buy the board now and remove it from the cycletour entry. Or if we’ve paid for it already, let us collect it beforehand so we dont need to pay extra for races. 

I also just bought a permanent mtb board from them recently. All these costs add up.

22 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

You say wasteful. It’s more stupid to me. Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. They knew this was coming so had more than enough time to prepare for it. 

I don’t see what the big issue is. Let us buy the board now and remove it from the cycletour entry. Or if we’ve paid for it already, let us collect it beforehand so we dont need to pay extra for races. 

I also just bought a permanent mtb board from them recently. All these costs add up.

The way this makes sense to me is that Cycle Tour Trust cares about the Cycle Tour and only the Cycle Tour, everyone else is on their own. That the change of timing systems incurs additional costs to road cyclists in the WC and cause headaches to the organisers of the seeding events that used Racetec in the past is not their concern.

Edit - your permanent mtb board should be fine, it already uses the new technology so it doesn't need to be replaced.

Edited by Skubarra

5 hours ago, Skubarra said:

R80 per board ... when purchased online.

R100 when bought at registration ....

At Vines and Views the timekeepers certainly created the impression this will be THEE new board for MOUNTAIN BIKE EVENTS.

Would be wierd to have two different BOARDS from the same time keepers.

2 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Edit - your permanent mtb board should be fine, it already uses the new technology so it doesn't need to be replaced.

I bought the new board purely because it is smaller, as in it fits to the side of my Garmin front mount.

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

R80 per board ... when purchased online.

R100 when bought at registration ....

At Vines and Views the timekeepers certainly created the impression this will be THEE new board for MOUNTAIN BIKE EVENTS.

Would be wierd to have two different BOARDS from the same time keepers.

The road timing chips were low frequency chips, the mtb boards are high frequency (whatever that means) 

So the old mtb boards are compatible with the Finishtime technology and dont need to be replaced 

6 hours ago, Skubarra said:

The road timing chips were low frequency chips, the mtb boards are high frequency (whatever that means) 

So the old mtb boards are compatible with the Finishtime technology and dont need to be replaced 

100% correct.

The old barge board is so wide I must remove the Garmin front mount bracket ....

I was just to happy to buy the new smaller board, purely from a point of use perspective.

On 9/20/2023 at 8:19 AM, MORNE said:

Well there it is then. Ill be doing this one on a SS bike. Entered.

SS, why? Or should I not ask...

Also entered.

11 hours ago, Mtree said:

SS, why? Or should I not ask...

Also entered.

Why not?😅

im continuing my trend of either riding it on something new or  different every year. SS or enduro rig this year☺️

Just now, MORNE said:

Why not?😅

im continuing my trend of either riding it on something new or  different every year. SS or enduro rig this year☺️

As good a reason as any:clap:

Enduro rig on Maxxis DHR and DHFs just for the extra traction on chappies?
I like how you roll:thumbup:

53 minutes ago, Mtree said:

As good a reason as any:clap:

Enduro rig on Maxxis DHR and DHFs just for the extra traction on chappies?
I like how you roll:thumbup:

I still need to do it on my vintage road bike too…but to be honest, 100km on that thing is painful….so I thought i’ll rather ride 100km in one gear instead🤣

2 hours ago, MORNE said:

I still need to do it on my vintage road bike too…but to be honest, 100km on that thing is painful….so I thought i’ll rather ride 100km in one gear instead🤣

Your bikes are way too practical....